Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to gloat a little here. Finished my Safety Course yesterday and passed with 2 points to spare on the riding test: 1. foot down on the box 2. too slow for the swerve & 3. and ran the boundary on the S-curve.

I was disappointed that we have to wait 2 weeks for the endorsement. I thought we were going to get it on the spot if we passed. But I don't plan on doing any night riding for a while any way...so all in all, I'm ready to go riding on my FZ6...just gotta wait for the temp to cool down a bit :banana

yes, that is my official California Motorcycle Safety Program sticker on my celebration Heineken can :cheers

·
It's made of people!
455 Posts
Nice job parttime. I got my Georgia Motorcycle safety sticker around here somewhere. My card took over three weeks to get to me :(

·
Registered
803 Posts
parttime said:
But I don't plan on doing any night riding for a while any way...

Do you have to take a safety course before you can legally ride at night out there?

·
jess wanna ryd
315 Posts
He's prolly got a permit now. The msf out here allows you to waive the dmv test for your license. I'm betting that's what he means....

ceek

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ceek said:
He's prolly got a permit now. The msf out here allows you to waive the dmv test for your license. I'm betting that's what he means....

ceek

yup, that's what I meant. the permit only allows you to drive in daylight on city streets, no passenger, and on freeway rides. I'm not officially licensed until I show DMV my Safety Course endorsement.

I went for my first ride around 6:50 tonight. What a rush :fiddy . I love the high seating position compared to the 250 cruisers we used in the Safety Course. Took her up to 70mph (country roads), and had my first run in with a turd already. Some guy in a chevy pick-up needed his ego boost and was riding my tail. I had to go the safety route and slow way down so he'll go around, since I'm still breaking her in. I was varying between 4-almost 6k rpm in 6th gear (I know, keep her below 6k for the break in period). I gotta say I love the powerband. It's got enough power to move ahead of most cars even when in 4th gear and only cruising at 30mph...no down shifting required.

I'm so glad I didnt' start off with a 250cc bike. I probably would've tossed it in 3 weeks time. This is a great bike to start with & maybe it's just me but I didn't find the throttle to be overly sensitive as some reviews made it out to be. The breaks work just fine (of course I have nothing else to compare it to), but some of the reviews gave me second thoughts about starting off with this bike (or any 600cc bike). All in all, it's just about self control - the bike responds very well. This bike should last me a long long time.

My only problem was stopping at stop signs. I stalled 2 times (too much thinking). Can't wait until I'm more experienced and the bike is properly broken in to hit the higher rpm range.

:beer

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If you love the bike now, just wait until you're done with break in. Remember- you're breaking yourself in too. Keep practicing your skills.

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
Congrats! My FZ6 is my 5th bike and I tell ya, a sport 600 cc bike is all I'll ever need and this bike is VERY comfy compared to all the repli-racers out there. Enjoy your bike, you're on a good one that should grow with you for a long time. :dblthumb

·
Registered
111 Posts
I got mine in Florida and they gave me the card the same day I passed the written test. Since I live in Alabama it didn't do anything for me except save 10% on my insurance. Had to do the written test for Alabama, but no road test as it is not required anyway.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Just finished my MSF class this last weekend I only had 2 points to spare also. Went outside the box on the u-turn and took to long to stop on the emergency stop. Atleast I didn't do like one girl and put the bike down on the second part of the test.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts