Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up? Names Kevin and this is another godforsaken newb thread. I post on quite a few mustang sites so i know the ropes.

Anyway, im looking to buy a bike really soon and need some pointers. I have ridden my friends ninja 500 for a few months now. So im looking for a 600 or maybe 750. I'll be riding this thing daily for a while just to keep down on gas and keep miles off my stang. So i guess im asking what a good comfortable bike would be for alot of riding. Im about 5'10 with an average build. I sat on a F4i yesterday and it felt near perfect but wasnt able to ride it. So are theyre any bikes similar to the F4i?

also, are there any sites that might help me better understand how a bike works as far as mechanics? I dont like buying shit that i cant understand. I need to know how the motor, tranny, gearing , etc works befor i buy. Im wierd like that.

Thanks in advance guys.
-Kevin

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Aloha and Welcome to SBN :twofinger

Honestly you should stick with the 500 or an older 600. A "few" months isn't really alot of time. The decision comes down to you in the end but I threw my 2 cents in. With your height any bike in the 500/600 range will fit you fine.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Definitly dont go to a 750, like said above a older 600 would fit you better then a newer 600. Somthing possibly like a F4 or a 97 GSXR 600. Honestly, I would say from about 99 and above isnt a good 600 to start to learn on. A 500 would be great to start on, I started on a 600, but thats me. 600's these days are to light and too twitchy to start on. And I hope since you have a mustang that you dont have a complex about haveing a small bike... BECAUSE NO MATTER WHAT EVERYONE SAYS, A 600 ISNT A SMALL BIKE!!!!. Just remember to take it slowly, I would suggest like a F4 or a older GSXR or R6, but dont look past a SV650...some say they are gurly bikes, but those people havnt seen them preform on a track...Good luck and welcome to SBN.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
If you haven't already, take the Beginner's Rider Course by the MSF. It has proved invaluable to me on many occasions on the road.

Pretty much the rest of the supersport bikes in the 600cc range is similar to the F4i, but with a lot more oomph. i.e. Honda 600RR, Suzuki GSXR 600, Yamaha R6, Triumph Daytona 650.

Try http://www.howstuffworks.com/ . I'm not sure if they have anything motorcycle related.

Once you do decide to get a bike, get a hard copy of the service manual if you want to get intimate with it.

Good luck.

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
Welcome to SBN! :welcome

If your looking for a bike to commute with and ride alot, and something comfy, it's hard to beat an F4i ('04-05 in particular, with the comfy seat though it is kinda fugly). I spend LOTS of time on mine (well, I DID until I flipped it on the highway last weekend :rolleyes but that's another story). But yea most weekends I spend a good 4-6 hours at a time riding, and I've put nearly 28,000 miles on it in the 9.5 months I've had it. I think it's very comfortable for a sportbike! That was one of the main reasons I bought mine. BTW I'm about 5' 10" myself, 155 lbs, and it fits me like a glove. A 600cc should be plenty for you, especially on the street... but I definitely wouldn't go over 600 until you get more experience.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Welcome. :flipa

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for replys and welcomes, and :flipa you guys too lol.

Well, im thinking im gonna stick with a 600 for now. I would love to get a 900 or 1000, but they just dont fit me. But for a daily commuter i thing the F4i feels like the right bike. Iv 500 iv been riding was geared crazy so i think i'll be able to handle stock 600. Only reason i want a newer bike is because i need it to be reliable. Im not exactly sure if im gonna like high speeds, stunting, or autox more. But i'll try a lil of em all. And i already know im gonna lay the bike down, im actually ready to lay it down the first time so i can go ahead and get over it lol. Plus i have quite a few friends that can help me out.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
If you're going to be using it for straight commuting why not go with something like the FZ6 or SV650 something along those lines? They are still sporty but have a less aggressive riding stance. Also your insurance will be alot cheaper.

Take the saftey course as well.

·
Registered
487 Posts
:twofinger welcome go with the 600RR :lol that was my first sports bike and i do just fine, it has a nice long first gear, and if your not stupid on it and take your time to learn the bike and how she reacts you will be fine.
O yeah the GSXR 600 is nice and so is the Yahmee as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah i plan on taking the course, and im not scared of the power however i do have respect for it lol. Im sure i could ride a 1000 easy but for what i need i think a 600 is best. I also plan on modding the hell out of it over time. By day its a commuter by nights its gonna be ran hard as hell here in Houston lol. we have alot of fun on the highways here, even in cars lol.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The Diesel said:
Im sure i could ride a 1000 easy

I'm sure I can drive a nextel cup car easily too....but nobody has called me yet....I think its cause I have no experience.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Originally Posted by The Diesel:
Im sure i could ride a 1000 easy

Everytime I see a post like this I think about that squid on his liter bike who drove through the window of the 7-Eleven and did the face plant into the freezer. I bet that was easy to do... really easy.

·
Registered
775 Posts
The Diesel said:
Yeah i plan on taking the course, and im not scared of the power however i do have respect for it lol. Im sure i could ride a 1000 easy but for what i need i think a 600 is best. I also plan on modding the hell out of it over time. By day its a commuter by nights its gonna be ran hard as hell here in Houston lol. we have alot of fun on the highways here, even in cars lol.
hmmm...welcome to the site I think. I feel like you are just baiting here but maybe not. If you are legitimate...trust us you shouldn't be getting anything more than a 600. Spend some time poking around the noob section for some good advice. You might actually learn that buying new isn't the best idea...unless you are buying to support your ego.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Welcome to SBN!

And yeah, the F4i is near perfect. Not the fastest of the 600's right now but PLENTY fast for your needs. Very comfortable to ride. I LOVE MINE!!

I'm not gonna preach about starting smaller because my '02 F4i is my first - I will tell you though, I still wish I had a 250 or 500 that I could go out and really push. The 600 is still too much for me to do that.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The Diesel said:
i live in houston. if you think our freeways are 'fun', then youre retarded. they suck. theyre ALL under construction, and dont look to be finished anytime soon. anyway, once you get your bike, please refrain from making the houston sportbike community's reputation worse than it already is. we have enough jackasses on sportbikes around here. dont be a jackass.

thanks for your support.

·
Registered
74 Posts
1. MSF
2. Gear up
3. SV650 sounds about right!

If you start getting bored they make all types of mods for it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts