Sport Bikes banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
One eye on the road
477 Posts
I wonder why...

Maybe marines need to hang out at the FZ6 subforum more.
1. Youth and inexperience, just as with any sportbike.
2. Feeling of invincibility. A guy just survives Iraq for maybe his 4th or 5th time, he starts feeling good about living and thinks he can't die.
3. Troops come back with a lot of cash and it's burning a hole in their pocket.
4. I'm sure drinking plays a role in this too.

Those are my suspicions of why. YMMV.

I hate to read of any service members death after a combat tour. It seems to ironic to be true. Survive Iraq/Afghanistan, be killed by a drunk driver. Being a Marine, it just tears me up to read an article like that.

·
Registered
734 Posts
As a former squid (the sailing type, not the GXR type) I would agree that youthful exuberance, fearlessness and alcohol probably contribute heavily.

They have started to institute some mandatory safety classes that may help some but when a kid that has no wheels and maybe now motorcycle experience can go out and buy a 100+ hp bike for cheap it's gonna happen...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not giving a shit once you're back from a tour. Having a what the fuck attitude.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've now heard that at Ft. Hood the basic MSF and the Advanced classes are required, prior to receiving a DoD decal for your bike, at least that is what a few of my Joe's have told me.

I've seen "heards/flocks" of riders blazing from Ft. Hood headed toward Austin on the weekends; mainly on 'Busas and other large bike they shouldn't be on. I can tell you that the post CSM was/is a rider and is very, very concerned about Soldier safety.

·
Cubicle Ostrich
1,785 Posts
I recently spoke with a Navy helicopter pilot who said it is required that they take specialized MSF courses to be allowed to ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts