Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I haven't seen the damage to the bike or the person yet, but I just wanted to inform you all of yet another noob that didn't listen to my advice. He wanted to get a 2003 Honda CBR 600RR and I told him that's too much for him to handle as a first bike with no previous dirt/street experience. Also, the bike is most likely hot since he got it from "a guy" for $3,000, and the ignition was fucked up. :rolleyes

But did he listen to ANYTHING I told him, well...yeah, he bought a helmet, jacket, and gloves, but that's about it. Anther thing, one of our brothers road his bike just to get a feel for it or whatever, and ended up dropping it as well. Supposedly he's been riding for 10 years too... :lao Oh well...I'll try and get pictures of the bike tomorrow or Wednesday.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
well I hope he is alright, sucks about the bike though

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
An 03 RR for $3,000.........I think I'd stay away from that bike untill he goes to jail

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Make sure to wipe your prints off afterwards........

·
Registered
333 Posts
Twinsen said:
but I just wanted to inform you all of yet another noob that didn't listen to my advice.
Oh gee...good thing he's still alive so it's not considered extremely bad taste for you to gloat on an internet forum. :rolleyes

Sounds to me like he was smart enough to get gear and be wearing it. Do you know for a fact whether or not he has past riding experience?

Do you feel somehow better about yourself and redeemed that he actually crashed on a bike you think he shouldn't have gotten, because that's how your post comes across IMO.

·
Ghost GTO
1,609 Posts
HEAT - Im pretty sure he didnt mean that at all. What he was saying was that what happened was preventable and to not throw away good advise. Thats all

·
Registered
426 Posts
I went down within 600 miles on a 250....

It can happen to anyone.

O yeah, and at the dealership all the 250s they sold there have been down. So much for the line of thought that it's safer :rolleyes

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
seppuku said:
O yeah, and at the dealership all the 250s they sold there have been down. So much for the line of thought that it's safer :rolleyes
So it would besafer to go down on a Gixxer 100 than on a ninja 250? What about the costs/loss involved?

The fact that they have been down proves that it's good advice!

·
Registered
912 Posts
nomav6 said:
yep, just compare the price between the 250 or even a 500 to a litter bike.
Exactly... you could spend as much repairing/replacing parts from a MINOR drop on a modern liter bike as it would cost to just buy a new 250 or 500. But, this is just part of the reason why most people shouldn't start on a true SS.

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
I started on an '03 600rr and have never been down. :p

That just proves that anecdotal evidence is only as good as the story being told. The guy wrecked specifically because of what he did to wreck. The mistake can be magnified by the bike, but I wonder how many newbie wrecks are grabbing too much front brake with the wheel turned (any bike) vs too much gas in a corner spinning the rear. (powerful bikes) For the record I'm thinking this guy was one of the any bike type of wrecks, the 600rr has a very stable suspension smooth power delivery and is generally really predictable.

·
Registered
426 Posts
PJFZ1 said:
So it would besafer to go down on a Gixxer 100 than on a ninja 250? What about the costs/loss involved?

The fact that they have been down proves that it's good advice!
Ok maybe safer is the wrong word. People tell others to get a 250 or something smaller because they will avoid an accident. At least with the 250 it's just does not seem to be the case. I'm willing to bet that 15 years of tech will make it less likely to have an accident if one would only countrol ones right wrist. A bike may be able to make 100+ hp but you don't have to make the bike make that hp.

A 250 is a great bike to learn from, though planted and stable are two words that can just not be used to discribe the bike. With it's 30 hp you can make the back end step out in a corner, downshift and watch your rear end shake, or get on the highway on a windy day and watch your bike being pushed over into the next lane or off the freakin road. It's extreamly forgiving and it's so lightweight and flickable. Though at times it can be really squirly. If you I where to put a ex500 suspension and better tires on maybe those problems would be solved. It's got one thing going for it though, and that it is cheap.

If I had the money to burn I would just get a 600. It seems so many people as it is drop their bike for one reason or the other regardless of what type they get.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Twinsen said:
Also, the bike is most likely hot since he got it from "a guy" for $3,000, and the ignition was fucked up. :rolleyes

But did he listen to ANYTHING I told him, well...yeah, he bought a helmet, jacket, and gloves, but that's about it.
If he indeed knowlingly purchased a stolen bike all he deserved from you was a phone call to the police so you could provide the vin# and his address.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts