·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: jk750

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Glad they avoided discharging their firearms in public... But the dog needs put down. I'm a dog lover, and my dog is a rescue dog... But no need to keep around dogs that attack humans when there are many, many friendly dogs that are put down in shelters every year. No reason to clog up crate space with a violent dog IMO.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad they avoided discharging their firearms in public... But the dog needs put down. I'm a dog lover, and my dog is a rescue dog... But no need to keep around dogs that attack humans when there are many, many friendly dogs that are put down in shelters every year. No reason to clog up crate space with a violent dog IMO.
I have a dog rescued from a shelter and I couldn't disagree more. Any dog could turn into a person biter, any dog can also be rehabilitated. What that dog needs is new, responsible, owners, just like any other dog in a shelter...

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I have a dog rescued from a shelter and I couldn't disagree more. Any dog could turn into a person biter, any dog can also be rehabilitated. What that dog needs is new, responsible, owners, just like any other dog in a shelter...
Many dogs can't be rehabilitated... At least not to the point of being safe in public. Of course, some can be. Hell, a lot can be. However, it's my personal opinion that once a dog crosses the line of attacking a human being, we shouldn't waste resources on rehabbing them, when those resources could be spent trying to find homes for dogs that haven't attacked humans. If there weren't thousands upon thousands of other dogs being put down because they couldn't be homed, I'd agree with your position.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
So by that logic why are humans who attack or murder or rape kept around when such limited resources could be better used on people who haven't done any of those things? We should just execute them too then right?

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
So by that logic why are humans who attack or murder or rape kept around when such limited resources could be better used on people who haven't done any of those things? We should just execute them too then right?
Comparing apples to oranges man. Dogs are dogs, not humans. Do you think a dog's life is as important as a human's? If you do, that's fine, that's your opinion. Personally, though, I think a human life is more important than an animal's. And if you do feel a dog's life is as important as a human's, at which species do you draw the line? Is a dog's life as important as a cat's? As a cow's? Chicken? Rat? Mosquito? Where do you draw this line?

We only have finite resources to care for these dogs. Unfortunately, not all dogs can be saved, as evidenced by the thousands that are put down each year. I'm just making the argument that we should prioritize which dogs are put down. If forced with the choice to put down a dog that has never attacked a human, or one that has, which one would you choose? By putting resources toward saving one dog's life, you're taking resources away from another dog. It sucks, but that's the reality of the situation. This is true even of no-kill shelters. Most of the time, the no-kill shelters here are full, and dogs are turned away. The kill shelters are the ones with the room to house these dogs. It's sad, but once you push emotions to the side, my position makes sense, even if you still disagree with it.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
Many dogs can't be rehabilitated... At least not to the point of being safe in public. Of course, some can be. Hell, a lot can be. However, it's my personal opinion that once a dog crosses the line of attacking a human being, we shouldn't waste resources on rehabbing them, when those resources could be spent trying to find homes for dogs that haven't attacked humans. If there weren't thousands upon thousands of other dogs being put down because they couldn't be homed, I'd agree with your position.
I believe all but one or two, at the most, of the pitties from Bad Newz Kennels would disagree with you.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
I know you're being sarcastic, but I don't have an issue with this.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Yes we should

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Comparing apples to oranges man. Dogs are dogs, not humans. Do you think a dog's life is as important as a human's? If you do, that's fine, that's your opinion. Personally, though, I think a human life is more important than an animal's. And if you do feel a dog's life is as important as a human's, at which species do you draw the line? Is a dog's life as important as a cat's? As a cow's? Chicken? Rat? Mosquito? Where do you draw this line?

We only have finite resources to care for these dogs. Unfortunately, not all dogs can be saved, as evidenced by the thousands that are put down each year. I'm just making the argument that we should prioritize which dogs are put down. If forced with the choice to put down a dog that has never attacked a human, or one that has, which one would you choose? By putting resources toward saving one dog's life, you're taking resources away from another dog. It sucks, but that's the reality of the situation. This is true even of no-kill shelters. Most of the time, the no-kill shelters here are full, and dogs are turned away. The kill shelters are the ones with the room to house these dogs. It's sad, but once you push emotions to the side, my position makes sense, even if you still disagree with it.
No it really is not apples to oranges;

We are talking about prioritizing resources to those that have a higher likelyhood of rehabilition.
murderers, rapists etc are not going to be rehabilitated with much success rate-thus a waste of resources, since the resources are finite and surely could be used better on more promising recovery/rehabilition efforts/prospects.

Of course government thinks resources are endless and spends money that way since they simply continue to tax more-but resources are finite and should be prioritized.
I am fine with capital punishment as long as the burden of proof is higher than todays standard. Think of how many billions of dollars could be saved by not having to house, feed and cloth inmates that are never getting out.
Then we could use that money (because the government surely wouldn't "give back" what they already have stolen) for things with much more promising future results

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
No it really is not apples to oranges;

We are talking about prioritizing resources to those that have a higher likelyhood of rehabilition.
murderers, rapists etc are not going to be rehabilitated with much success rate-thus a waste of resources, since the resources are finite and surely could be used better on more promising recovery/rehabilition efforts/prospects.

Of course government thinks resources are endless and spends money that way since they simply continue to tax more-but resources are finite and should be prioritized.
I am fine with capital punishment as long as the burden of proof is higher than todays standard. Think of how many billions of dollars could be saved by not having to house, feed and cloth inmates that are never getting out.
Then we could use that money (because the government surely wouldn't "give back" what they already have stolen) for things with much more promising future results
First of all, I'm for the death penalty for murderers.

Secondly, I feel that human life is more important than a dog's (or any animal's) life. Also, keep in mind that we CURRENTLY kill thousands and thousands of dogs each year for no other reason than we can't find a home for them. We don't kill thousands of humans in this country each year because we can't find homes for them. So by making the comparison of killing humans who are unlikely to be rehabilitated, you are suggesting that I must somehow agree that we start killing humans by the thousands because we can't house them. This is simply not the case, and it is why I said your argument is a comparison of apples and oranges. I made the argument for dogs, and dogs only. My logic on this matter ends at the human species.

Do you feel that a dog's life is as important as a human life (in general, not a specific person's life vs. a specific dog's life)? If yes, at what species do you draw the line? Is a human life as important as a cat's? A horse? A cow? A chicken? A rat? A mosquito? And, how do you draw that line?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This dog is not a fierce beast that will bite whoever gets on its way, I think it was a scared dog that has been isolated and poorly socialized.

Follow up story:

'Arraigan' a pitbull; estará en observación 10 días - Seguridad - El Universal DF

Dog will spend 10 days in the pound while they evaluate if it is safe to give it back to their owners. It bit three persons and two dogs after it escaped from its house. None of the persons that were bitten have filed charges against the owners.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
As a whole, I am on the fence as to who is more valuable to me. But I sure could see several million humans leaving this earth and know the earth would be better for it, that isn't the case with any animal

I can't eat humans, I can eat cow, deer, chicken, fish etc....
I have never had a cat, dog, hamster, bird etc ever lie to me or cheat and steal from me, nor have they ever tried to claim some superiority etc...
Environmentally humans are a blight to the eco system whereas most animals are a benefit to it.
Humans decimate everything and feel the need to conquer and control everything, animals not so much...

So my Gala apples to McIntosh apples comparison-spent resources to spent resources, animals are a far better investment- All animals except humans

1 - 15 of 15 Posts