Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I know you guys get a lot of these but what I'm looking for in a second bike is slightly different.

So my first bike is a 1995 Yamaha Yzf600r. Its been great don't get me wrong, but i am about fed up with Carbs and not being able to find parts. My plan is to have a new(to me) bike by march. oh for back ground i have ridden probably 15000 miles and ridden for 2 years mainly commuting and some back road fun.

What i am looking for is a bike that was mainstream enough that if i "ebay" it i can find parts galore, because so many squids wrecked them in the past. I am also looking for something fuel injected but nothing newer then about 2003. if its after 2003 it is probably not going to be in my price range. which is around 4K.

I really like a gsx-r i think they were ahead of the time with their FI when it was first being widely used in sport bikes. i would love to find a 750. the 98 Srad was fi right? if so were there any problems or would it be a good first fi bike. i kinda like the largeness of the 90's models i just dont want carbs.

i like the cbr 600 and possibly one of the 900cc models. Only problem i have with the cbr 600 is when i rode my buddies it just felt small almost like i'd break it sitting on it. I am about 72.5" tall and weigh 230.

the next one i really like would be a tie between the r6 and triumph 675 or possibly 955i ( i really dont want to go that high in CC) I am not sure how easy finding parts for the triumph will be. i have not had the pleasure of riding or even seeing a triumph or kawasaki in person so i have no idea of where i am on those exactly.
I really like working and tinkering with my bike so I'm not looking for something that in such great shape the only thing i can do to it is wash it haha.

taking all of that into consideration the Wanting something that it will be easy to find parts, i can work on, is fi and is under 1000cc what would be a good second bike

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that looks awesome but idk if it was around enough that i could easily find parts available. i would really like something in the 600 or 700 cc range.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you are 6 feet tall and weigh 230 lbs then skip the 600s and get something b*****; a 1000cc sport-bike for hard core riding or a naked bike like the 1050cc Triumph Speed Triple for more comfortable street riding. Although you can do most maintenance yourself you will need to bite the bullet and pay the dealer tech (who has the factory manual and proper electronic equipment) for Fuel Injection tuning. Don't worry about a larger displacement bike; you quickly get used to it and it will fit you better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is not that i am afraid of a 1000cc; I just don't want to pay the insurance for one. I feel like 600's have all the power i need but i might have to go to a 1000cc to find a better fit.

also i am not a fan of most naked bikes. I like the sportiness of full fairing bikes.

between my father and I there is not much we cant fix.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
98-99 SRAD's are fuel injected and it was shit. The 96/97 750 was better with the carbs. 2000-2003 750's have better fuel injection, but garbage transmissions.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I think your best bet would be the 03-06 Honda CBR 600RR. It's a solid bike, no common issues with them and parts are readily available. Second good option would be the 03-05 R6, solid bike too.

·
Slowpoke
1,631 Posts
Paying more for insurance just because you have a 1000 isn't accurate. I shopped around for insurance for ages....and the thing I found consistently was that my Z1000 was about $50/month cheaper than a super sport 600. I love having the torque...and while the top end rush isn't there like on the super sports, I love being able to have plenty of power and still pay less than $100/month for insurance.

I also bought my 07 for $4200 so that's something you could afford.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so right now were at stay away from from the gsx-r srad and the 00-03 750 what about the transmission on the 600? any more opinions on the gsx-r?

I do like the dual headlights of a cbr f4I and the rr i will deff look into them. might have to figure out how to raise the rear end though.

so right now for my 95 yzf600r i am paying $110 for the year for basic coverage in NC

also i am more than likely planning on buying from garwood cycles in NC it is about 30 min away from they are a very nice used motorcycle/cutomazation dealership. their prices are slightly higher but i think i can trust them that a bike i will be buying will not have any issues

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I think the 01-03 600 had the issue with the shift spur bolt backing out like the 750. I don't know if the shift rod was better or not.

Just my $.02, if you're looking at early-2000's 600/750's, why not look at 1999-2004 R6's? At some point, they eventually got fuel injection (2003?), but the R6 was just awesome back then. I'd take a carb'd R6 over an F4i any day.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
What about an SV650 or a Ninja 650? Cheap insurance, parts are plentiful (well at least for the SV, not sure about the Ninja), they're fuel injected ('03 and up for SVs), and you can find them all day for under $4k.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
If carbed bikes are coming back in the picture a carb'd R1 is basically the best bike ever.
OP said no literbikes.

I don't know if the 98-99 R1 is the best bike ever, but it's definitely one if the most fun bikes ever. The 2000+ models are probably better, but too friendly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
carb bikes are NOT back in the picture. I just want to switch to fuel injection.

so on the gsx-r the shift spur bolt was the weak link. is that something that you can keep an eye on or is it something you would have to drop the engine to work on. if it is something that at the most you pull the clutch basket that would put the gsx-r back on the list for me. Because when i'm bored i like to work on either my truck or bike, and if theres nothing to work on i am bored as hell.

03 r6 was the first fuel injection year

the most common bike in my area that i dont have to drive over 100 miles for is the cbr, r6, and gsxr then it would be about equal between the Kawasaki and triumph 675.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I had a 04 gsxr 750 and I never had any problems with it.

If your dead set on a ss bike any of them are good bike. I can just say from experience the gsxr is a good bike.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea i am pretty dead set on a ss. i feel like the 95 yzf600r was a ss of its day. i mean when i was riding against my buddies cbr f4i i could keep up on the take off just fine.

that being said i got all the lets see what i can do on my bike and squid it up in the first year of having it. i just graduated college i have my b.s. in accounting and i just need to maintain some fun in my life.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I moved from the gsxr to the supermoto I have now and the fun factor went out the roof.

Every person has there own interest but if you ever get the chance to ride one I highly suggest it.

Sent from my DROIDX

1 - 20 of 48 Posts