Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So around 2013 or something I went to the ER over wicked bad chest pain (nothing serious) Got my ER bill of ~$1000 or what ever and made 50$ monthly payments on it for a while and paid it off.

Randomly one day 3 months ago I get a phone call from a collections agency saying I have an outstanding bill for ~$400. I tell them I will have to call them back. Thinking about it I figure the hospital had separate billing for the Physician but what I couldn't under stand was why they never sent me a bill, not a single bill.

So I try to call up this company with the Physician (Marshall Medical Services) and it seems they don't exist anymore. So now Phoenix whatever is collecting this bill in their place. There is no way I can verify the authenticity of the collection now.

My understanding was that medical bills do not go on your credit score but it is now showing on my Trans Union as an open collection.

I just paid my car off and was hoping for a new good credit score and BAM its down 35 points. WTF I cant take a credit score seriously.

Anyone else had this happen? I also think its pure bull shit that a company can pass on their collections when they go out of business or something. It's their fault for never sending me a bill of any kind.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Once a medical bill goes to collections, they can be, and usually are, reported to credit reporting agencies. If this was in error, you can dispute it, and let the credit bureaus know that you are disputing it. With enough evidence, you may be able to get it removed, but that's not guaranteed.

I had a similar two part bill a few years ago right after I moved. One bill was sent to my new address, the other my old. I paid the one I got and thought I was good. A couple of years later I saw my credit score had dropped from mid to high 700s to high 600s for no reason that I could understand. I got a copy of my credit report, and then had to contact the collections agency to even find out I ever had a bill. I paid it as soon as I found out, but it didn't matter, the damage was done, since I had not paid it legitimately (even though I didn't know about it). They wouldn't remove it. Over time, things like that lessen and then go away, so I'm not too badly affected by it, since I otherwise have great credit... but it was a good screw job for sure.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I had a medical bill go to collections but as long as I was making payments on it, they didn't post it to my record. I'd question why you never got a bill and ask for proof that you were sent anything to begin with, what address it was sent to, and any kind of history showing they tried to collect on it before it went to collections. Document everything and then use that to dispute it on your record after you pay it off. Depends on what state but I want to say California is 4 years before they can no longer collect on a debt, and 7 years before it drops off your record. I

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
why? it could be a bogus scam. I'd ask a lawyer. getting negative stuff off your credit from my understanding is like getting your identity fixed. almost impossible.
someone could be ruining your credit score and scamming you for $400.

from past experiences, the hospitals give you only a few weeks to pay the bill in full and they send it off to collections.
the hospital I went to when I crashed my bike sent me several bills in the first month. my insurance was supposed to be paying it. 100%. but the hospital was just wanting that money asap. so they sent the bills to me also. all I could do was shake my head in disbelief how eager they were to collect. and how soon they send you to collection. (30 days)

also, I was told this by a fellow employee when he bought his house. he said the lender told him they look at the credit report and pretty much dismiss medical bills. (he had some on his and though it would ruin his chance of getting approved) they don't care because you didn't take a loan out. you weren't promising to pay back money to a lender. and they know that you get sent to collection almost immediately.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
^ Odd that the hospital was sending you the bills directly when you had insurance and they should have had that insurance information on record. Everything from my accident has been covered 100% and the only bill I've received was the hospital ride to the ER because they didn't have my insurance info at the time (think CHP still had my wallet) I was even at an out of network hospital to begin with and had surgery there, and it was still covered.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
I had the same thing crop up a few years ago but was a cell phone bill. I had been dropped the service (stationed to Korea) and turned off my service. Or so I had thought. 4 months later I get a bill for couple hundred dollars for that disconnected line. I come to an agreement with the phone company and pay less than half. All is good until 5 or 6 years later when a collection agency says I owe them around $500 because they are collecting for this phone bill! They threatened to destroy my credit and after explaining I had already come to terms with the phone company, they offered to settle for $250.

I spoke with a lawyer friend of mine and explained the situation. He told me not to pay and that these type of companies were just trying to intimidate people into paying for old accounts they may or may not owe money too. They kept sending me letters but I ignored them. No issues with my credit score at all and this is several years ago now.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the same thing crop up a few years ago but was a cell phone bill. I had been dropped the service (stationed to Korea) and turned off my service. Or so I had thought. 4 months later I get a bill for couple hundred dollars for that disconnected line. I come to an agreement with the phone company and pay less than half. All is good until 5 or 6 years later when a collection agency says I owe them around $500 because they are collecting for this phone bill! They threatened to destroy my credit and after explaining I had already come to terms with the phone company, they offered to settle for $250.

I spoke with a lawyer friend of mine and explained the situation. He told me not to pay and that these type of companies were just trying to intimidate people into paying for old accounts they may or may not owe money too. They kept sending me letters but I ignored them. No issues with my credit score at all and this is several years ago now.
Well, they HAVE posted to my credit score... so I dont know. It sucks because I cant contact anyone from the original agency.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
It's rare that i'm appreciative of universal health care but reading stories like this helps. Good luck dude.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I paid off my motorcycle in full just so I would not have to deal with bills.

Which is why I trade everything I can on Craigslist, one way to not have bills. Some people are such assholes and insist on cash, they can just use their own cash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts