Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While for the most part I tend to think of the ever-increasing amounts of rider aids that are coming standard on more and more bikes nowadays as 'numbing' as far as what it takes skills-wise to be quick, every once in a while I do start getting a little jealous at just what IS getting to be factory standard issue on bikes.

Traction control, ABS, slipper clutches, quickshifters, wheelie control, engine braking control/auto-blip downshifts, etc. And that's not even talking about advanced things like GPS-adjusted electronic suspensions.

My bike has none of that, yet I keep wondering if I'm missing out on "unlocking potential speed" by eliminating attention spent in areas where the gadgetry handles certain situations.

For me, thoughts of blasting thru the entire gearbox full throttle before T1 @ BIR's short course and down the front straight @ Road America thanks to a quickshifter has me giddy. Or thoughts of being able to pin the thing WFO once I'm pointed where I think the bike needs to be at exit and just "let the traction control sort things out" has me intrigued. Going to try to hold out and run one more season with my bike in 'analog mode', but I can't make any promises.

Just daydreaming out loud, because it's winter and haven't I been on the bike in anger in over 3 months already...

What mechanical/electronic rider aids are you inclined to think might be a 'game-changer' for your bike, or way of riding.

*Disclaimer: Obviously proper rider TRAINING is infinitely more important and useful than any PART you can bolt on to a motorcycle. This is simply just a variation of an "I'd be faster/smoother/safer if I had _______ on my bike" thread where all of us old bike owners wish we had certain things on ours, and where owners of newer bikes can come and gloat about all the nice things their newer bikes came with stock. :p

-Christian

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I'd be faster with a 7 speed :D
I'd be smooth with a steering dampener :p
I'd stop quicker with b***** brakes. ;)
And I'd use less fuel if I rejetted my injectors. :twofinger

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
My aunt says if she had balls she would be my uncle. I told her "NO. You would be a street racer".

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Slipper clutch for me! LOVE it.

Other than that, I don't even run a dampner on my track bike. Makes for fun fun fun exits when the front end gets light :D

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
It depends...

My GSX-R 600 is about perfect for the track, I'm in love with the electronic steering damper... I haven't noticed the slipper clutch, probably because it's doing its job? Dunno, on my 07 CBR 600RR the lack of a slipper clutch was very noticeable, but the CBR was very light in the tail. I guess that having more e-nannies would be nice, but I don't mind not having traction control or ABS, the former seems completely unnecessary on a 600 and the later will get you in a world of trouble if you ever overcook a corner and head for the dirt.

But on the street, what I miss the most is ABS. I'm very good at braking, I'm pretty sure that in a controlled environment I could brake faster without ABS than with it, specially if it is an overly intrusive system. But the street is not a controlled environment, you ride on several different surfaces with varying levels of grip that are not even the same during the day, and it is no contest, the ABS can kick in and keep the bike from losing traction faster than I can release and reapply the brakes when I went over the threshold.

I ride with many BMW riders, all of them have ABS on their bikes, and I've noticed they become dependant on ABS. They don't know anything about threshold braking, they dont' have a very good braking technique and I've seen them have close calls because of their lack of braking skills when they forget to turn on the ABS after leaving a dirt trail. One day I was riding in the city with a group of BMW riders, I was on my XT660X, and I was doing small endos on every stop light, they were all amazed by it... And when I explained them how to do it, and the need to shut off the ABS, none of them were willing to try it because they were afraid to wreck.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'd really like to see what the tc on the zx10r is all about on a race track.

I like quickshifters and slippers but that isn't really a deal breaker for me. I can live without them

·
Registered
495 Posts
After a 1,000 mile-ride this past weekend, many of the roads being best-described as goat-trails, I wish I had some kind of traction control. (I think...)

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
I'd really like to see what the tc on the zx10r is all about on a race track.

I like quickshifters and slippers but that isn't really a deal breaker for me. I can live without them
Yeah I could take it of leave it really. I currently don't own a bike with ABS, TC, quickshifters, slippers or whatnot. I've survived this long with out them, I can make another 20 some years.

I have major wood for the new Super Duke, it has all of the above.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I appreciate my slipper clutch and steering damper on my 08 Gsxr 750 but appreciate the old school feel i get from 85 Gsxr 750..Either bike they both put a equal size grin on my face when i crack the throttle..:meangreen

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Is it slightly ironic an 848 owner is claiming he has a analogue bike or is that just me been picky. Interesting so much love for steering dampers my one road bike I removed the factory one completely and have never looked back the other road bike and the race bike they are backed off to the minimum settings removal has been seriously considered.

Not a digital device anyway nor are slipper clutches for that matter one road bike has a pneumatic slipper clutch although if you manage to active it you have completely failed to match rpm there is nothing gradual about it operation and it won't reengage till you get back on it so you end up free wheeling into a corner, not nice!

On the oldest road bike I honestly don' think there are too many electronic aids that will help its operation the rest of the bike with its design is so old I see it been a complete PITA to try and integrate anything into it. I doubt any of the quick shifters have enough throw or enough force to be effective it may benefit from some well sorted fuel injection although the FCRs work fairly well. What defiantly give good gains is some light weight wheels and a more sophisticated front forks but we are talking custom build for the rear wheel and some major expenditure which is more than the bike is worth.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Slipper clutch for me! LOVE it.

Other than that, I don't even run a dampner on my track bike. Makes for fun fun fun exits when the front end gets light :D
What's a 'dampner'? :headscrtch

My contribution to the post is ABS. A nice feathery cushion for fuck ups...most of the time.

For the track I'd imagine a slipper clutch or quick shifter would be awesome.

·
Registered
848 Posts
While for the most part I tend to think of the ever-increasing amounts of rider aids that are coming standard on more and more bikes nowadays as 'numbing' as far as what it takes skills-wise to be quick, every once in a while I do start getting a little jealous at just what IS getting to be factory standard issue on bikes.

Traction control, ABS, slipper clutches, quickshifters, wheelie control, engine braking control/auto-blip downshifts, etc. And that's not even talking about advanced things like GPS-adjusted electronic suspensions.

My bike has none of that, yet I keep wondering if I'm missing out on "unlocking potential speed" by eliminating attention spent in areas where the gadgetry handles certain situations.

For me, thoughts of blasting thru the entire gearbox full throttle before T1 @ BIR's short course and down the front straight @ Road America thanks to a quickshifter has me giddy. Or thoughts of being able to pin the thing WFO once I'm pointed where I think the bike needs to be at exit and just "let the traction control sort things out" has me intrigued. Going to try to hold out and run one more season with my bike in 'analog mode', but I can't make any promises.

Just daydreaming out loud, because it's winter and haven't I been on the bike in anger in over 3 months already...

What mechanical/electronic rider aids are you inclined to think might be a 'game-changer' for your bike, or way of riding.

*Disclaimer: Obviously proper rider TRAINING is infinitely more important and useful than any PART you can bolt on to a motorcycle. This is simply just a variation of an "I'd be faster/smoother/safer if I had _______ on my bike" thread where all of us old bike owners wish we had certain things on ours, and where owners of newer bikes can come and gloat about all the nice things their newer bikes came with stock. :p

-Christian

UPGRADE

No seriously it is time UPGRADE

You know you want it, your already salivating over the UPGRADE

Just do it!

Best move I have made.

Slipper clutch is great for keeping high sides to a min when you accidentally downshift in a corner.

Felt the rear ABS kick in this morning using both brakes coming up to a stop, bad for the track. Felt in the front a few times.

I doubt ive used the traction control, but that is the beauty, maybe I have.

Being able to adjust dampening electronically front and rear is just sweet as hell to set the bike up for more spirited riding or just commuting on the fly while driving.

Quick shifter fun to play with and you can concentrate more on the road and what's coming up. More focus.

Being able to adjust engine braking electronically is priceless when you know your going down a real tight section verses a more high speed fast corner road.

Thing is I don't notice its all there, I just go out and ride, and the bike does what I want it too when I want it too, with less surprises then the 848. Beauty of it compared to other bikes, the Ducati still demands your full attention and is not as forgiving and still demands to be treated like a thoroughbred and pushed for what its worth.

The reward? that shit eatin grin you cant get rid of after a run

UPGRADE, made me 10-15% faster and it still feels just like the 848 only much much more comfortable.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
My bike has a "VERY" mild autoblipper (or slipper clutch, so to speak), but worthless above 8500 rpm. It releases compression so the tire doesn't slide, but like I said, it's worthless above 8500. It also has a steering damper, but again, it was worthless. Had to drain the fluid out, and put in 90wt hydraulic fluid to even tell a difference.

HOWEVER, I recently purchased a Triumph quickshifter, and my entire ride I was smiling the whole way, it is just so much fun. It really does make you giddy.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
What's a 'dampner'? :headscrtch

My contribution to the post is ABS. A nice feathery cushion for fuck ups...most of the time.

For the track I'd imagine a slipper clutch or quick shifter would be awesome.
Steering damper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some people spell better then others. As a non-speller, I empathise with him.
I have never owned a bike with a steering DAMPER. Ridden one, thought the steering damper slowed the steering response down. I'm a push steerer (is steerer a word?) with a lite grip, if any on the bars. So to me it felt like the bars were pushing back.
A steering damper is not needed in a well designed motorcycle. Designers use it so they can decrease the rake to unnatural angles. They do that because it is cheaper then designing and building a frame. A 23 degree rake 'steers' faster then a 25 degree rake. By faster I mean that then same input at the bar gets more wheel turn.
Since this is about engineering, the first law applies. The first law of engineering is that you don't get something for nothing. Trail is the measurement that mostly determines how 'stable' a motorcycle is. By stable I mean how straight the motorcycle tracks without any steering input at the bars. I think they call it wobble today. We called it shake back in the day. Head shake to differentiate it from tail shake or wheel shake.
When you lower the rake, you reduce the trail. Reducing the trail increases the 'wobble'.
Increasing the rake, increases trail. Together they make the motorcycle more stable. That helps cornering, which is the ability to maintain road position as the road changes direction. Going the other way helps handling, which is the ability to change road position regardless of what the road is doing.
A steering damper is an attempt to get something for nothing. The bonus of a steering damper is in a 'tank slapper'. Tank slappers are not a biggie if you know what you are doing. They only become dangerous when you try to control them. IF you open your hands and press forward with BOTH palms, the tank slapper will work itself out.
Meanwhile, the ratio of steering input of bar to lean is vastly overstated in politically correct circles. I blame the parking lot queens of the MSF. The below video was taken from a Go Pro mounted on a center stand.
You can determine how sharp the corners are from the shadows. Notice how much of the going around the corner is done by lean vs steering (turning the front wheel or 'countersteering' as the MSF guys call it)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Steering damper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some people spell better then others. As a non-speller, I empathise with him.
I have never owned a bike with a steering DAMPER. Ridden one, thought the steering damper slowed the steering response down.
Yea, it was just a long running joke that I was teasing him about. The dampner, dampener, dampiner, damper, daminerpererer.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Yea, it was just a long running joke that I was teasing him about. The dampner, dampener, dampiner, damper, daminerpererer.
Sorry, my bad. They say there is no fool like an old fool.:agree

·
Registered
417 Posts
Slipper clutch. I don't care for the others; as some have mentioned, I don't really like the idea of ABS or traction control because it erodes away proper vigilance. Why "squeeze" the brakes when you can just be lazy and grab them to the same effect?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts