Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can rig a computer fan to work with an amp. the reason i ask is, my amp has been running real hot lately. my back seats dont fold down, so i want to know if it is possible to retofit a computer fan to the cooling fins on the amp? thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
I don't know about a computer fan, but radioshack has little fans that run on 12 volts that are pretty inexpensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Yes, they can. Adams suggestion of the Radio Shack fan is another option. However, DO NOT hook the fan directly to the remote wire (blue) of the head unit. 90% chance it'll cause interference & you'll hear the humm of the electric motor at low volume comming out of the speakers. 10% Chance of smoking the output from the head unit & now everything is broken :(.

The fan should have its own 12v supply wire from the battery, not jumpered from the amp. Using a Bosch style relay, tripped by the head unit (blue) wire, the fan(s) are electrically isolated. I've read some installers have needed to physically move the fan away from the amp and build a duct to move the air across the heatsinks because of radiant interference from the magnetic fields of the motor.

I'm making it sound worse than it is... just be smart about where and how you install it. Cheers,
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top