Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this in the current issue of Motor Cyclist magazine.. This is a PROFESSIONAL saying "start small"

"There's no denying the greatness of Suzuki's latest GSX-R1000. A note to rookie riders, though: Don't take our word for it (or any other magazine's, for that matter) as justification to ride like Kevin Schwantz to your dealer, MSF degree still clutched in your sweaty mitts, and expect it to be the bike of your dreams. Sure, some novices might be able to live in harmony with Suzuki's maximum expression, but far too many more won't.
The problem is too many tyros feel they must start out on the biggest, fastest, motorcycle available; anything less supposedly questions their manhood. but the Suzuki's mind-melting acceleration and near-unflappable chassis can get you into hopelessly deep trouble before you even realize it. Fortunately, courage is another convienent yardstick for measuring some males' manliness. See if you have enough to admit you need to work up to the Suzuki, and not make it simultaneously your first motorcycle and your last."

Charles Everitt
MotorCyclist Magazine.

Amazing how everything most of us has been telling to newbies, is printed word for word from a professional..

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Oh lots of them say that. And even the GSX-R ads say "for experienced riders" in the fine print.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
read the same article.....was a comparison for the 636 against the Gixxer 1000...pretty good read.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
the 636 sure did.......since looking for a new bike I added the 636 to the list of pissiblities LOL

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
nig said:
Oh lots of them say that. And even the GSX-R ads say "for experienced riders" in the fine print.
+1 Suzuki states that these bikes are engineered for experienced riders but do not complain at all when inexperienced riders buy them. If only "experienced" riders got these bikes suzuki would shit in their pants. Its merely a disclaimer to cover their ass so that some 19 y/o's parents cant sue when their child kills themselves running from the cops. :rolleyes

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my brother in law was at the dealership this weekend.. saw some 21-22 year old ask the salesman, "which one is the fastest?"
If you have to ask that, then you dont know shit about bikes.. Anyone who rides, knows the answer to that question... of course, the salesman sold it to him..

It should be illegal to sell something that big to a newbie... Since most of them dont listen to a word of advice they hear...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Punkwood2k said:
my brother in law was at the dealership this weekend.. saw some 21-22 year old ask the salesman, "which one is the fastest?"
If you have to ask that, then you dont know shit about bikes.. Anyone who rides, knows the answer to that question... of course, the salesman sold it to him..

It should be illegal to sell something that big to a newbie... Since most of them dont listen to a word of advice they hear...
True.......I sold motorcycles some years back for Malcolm Smith. I refused some sales on this very issue. I would rather lose a few hun versus rolling an over-powered machine to an inexperienced rider.

:cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've ridden worse

I now own a '05 gsxr 1000. I've hung some shit on it to make it faster- and it's really fast. It spanked- done up busas when it was stock. However it still feels very refined. My previous bike- a '03 gsxr 1100 I found to be less controllable. I would rather see a novice ride my new bike- instead of my old bike. Not that I'm saying he should. or that I would let him.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
mollsey1000 said:
I now own a '05 gsxr 1000. I've hung some shit on it to make it faster- and it's really fast. It spanked- done up busas when it was stock. However it still feels very refined. My previous bike- a '03 gsxr 1100 I found to be less controllable. I would rather see a novice ride my new bike- instead of my old bike. Not that I'm saying he should. or that I would let him.
So, where do race at and race teams have u beat on busa's, dude?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Get_1 said:
ill take the gsxr 1000 over a 636 any day
to each his own man, sheesh, the guy above was simply stating what happened in the article.

and the 636 DID "rock" the 1K considering the differences are MASSIVE. it was something like a few tenths of a second quicker in like every corner but the 1K would catch up in the straight and ended up having a faster lap time than the 636 by a few tenths or so. of course, i haven't seen too many finish lines in mid-turn, they are usually on a straight. :rolleyes

i guess we know what you'd want the 1K for ;) :lol

to each his own. BOTH are crazy bikes. the 1K is just FUGLY! :bitchslap

:D

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
MAGNUM636 said:
A 636 "rocked" a new GSX-R 1000? Are you serious? I gotta get that article!
No, they were doing comparisons on certain specs and times the 636 will not "rock" the GSX-R 1000 unless the 1000 was in the hands of a very incapable rider. The article was just comparing the two bikes since they were both new models for 05.

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
mollsey1000 said:
Your gixxer thousand is fast, really ?, you're kidding me right :rolleyes , and you made it faster ...why ?

What does an 03 gsxr 1100 look like ? , genuinely curious ?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
What does an 03 gsxr 1100 look like ? , genuinely curious ?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, me 2?:squid :bitchslap

·
Registered
117 Posts
Right after that article they compare the 600 and 1000 in the hands of Yates and Roberts... the 600's negotiate the turns faster, the 1000's whoop them out of the turn and on the straights. Just the nature of the beasts.

EVERY STAFFER on that ride preferred the 1000.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
nik_z said:
to each his own man, sheesh, the guy above was simply stating what happened in the article.

and the 636 DID "rock" the 1K considering the differences are MASSIVE. it was something like a few tenths of a second quicker in like every corner but the 1K would catch up in the straight and ended up having a faster lap time than the 636 by a few tenths or so. of course, i haven't seen too many finish lines in mid-turn, they are usually on a straight.

i guess we know what you'd want the 1K for ;)

to each his own. BOTH are crazy bikes. the 1K is just FUGLY! :bitchslap

:D
Don't hate nik_z:upyours :eek:nfloor

1 - 20 of 34 Posts