Sport Bikes banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
DMG rules won't last forever, this is just a phase. buddy of mine that's a track junkie said he wanted to at least race AMA just to say he did it, and i told him that's all you should bother with since the money just isn't there.

it's going to take a complete fallout of AMA racing to reconstruct things......unless......

·
Are we not men?
9,008 Posts
Yeah, my head is still hurting from that.

Here's a link for those wanting to see some back story on this topic.
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/388262-dmg-ama-edmondson-daytona-motorsports-group-discussion-thread.html

The fact is a lot of people thought that DMG would be a good thing for AMA racing because it would bring a lot of NASCAR media savvy people into the sport. A lot of NASCAR marketing exposure and b***** purse money. Well, none of that happened or was ever intended to happen.

TV coverage, which was already lacking before DMG, nosedived completely with DMG's totally inept TV package with SPEED last year. Televised race coverage was sometimes delayed over two and a half weeks. The next round of racing had already been run!

Marketing and purse money was almost non-existent. There was no marketing at all the first half of the season. Several fees charged to the promoters, tracks and racers, actually increased. None of the good qualities of NASCARization of the sport materialized and most of the bad qualities did. The involvement of the France family and NASCAR never existed once the lights went out at Daytona. And they diluted the Daytona 200 years ago. Roger Edmonson and his cronies alone ran the series into the ground from there. And the proof is in they are all now gone. But so is any credibility the series had left.

Superbike series racing was created on American soil. SBK and all other Superbikes series around the world were modeled after it. Now AMA/DMG have made a mockery of American Superbike racing.
What I've read in the past month or so is that Jim France had no involvement for most of last year, at least until things were so badly f'ed up that the AMA was actually looking to see if they had any way of getting out of the deal. Rob Dingman had just assumed that Jim France would be overseeing what Roger was doing. The old saying about assumptions sure played out there now didn't it?! It seems Mr. France is much more involved now. But just how long will it take to undo the damage?

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
I have very mixed emotions about the AMA/DMG. I like the fact that AMA roadracing is being rum by a group that knows how to market racing and get it on TV. The success of NASCAR shows that these guys know what they are doing regarding the media.
You forgot one thing. DMG "thought" ALL spectators were redneck "backer spittin' moonshine runnin' NASCAR watching spectators from the south...not intelligent riders who ride tracks themselves.

·
Are we not men?
9,008 Posts
The problem is that the AMA series is no longer a stepping stone to b***** and better things. The series DMG has set up will leave such a big gap that many insiders doubt any future American (or Canadian for that matter) riders will be able to make the jump.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The problem is that the AMA series is no longer a stepping stone to b***** and better things. The series DMG has set up will leave such a big gap that many insiders doubt any future American (or Canadian for that matter) riders will be able to make the jump.
Yeah, this is true. I didn't say it was getting any better than it was though.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts