Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
I like the idea of one championship for supersport, and the 250. (hopefully more like 300s).

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
It sure doesn't help they lost their series sponsor. Makes them look even more amateur, especially how/why they lost them.

Unfortunately they are still trying to fight off the ill-will that came from the Roger Edmondson fiasco.

Then there is the removing of Friday from at least some of the weekends. I can see where it will save the big teams like Graves a bunch of money per weekend but the small, privateer teams save little and lose valuable track time for practice and setup. This may actually reduce grid sizes because some of the privateer teams may just have trouble qualifying within the time window.

Not sure how much I even care anymore.

·
Cage intolerant
446 Posts
Sadly, I think we've seen the last American MotoGP or WSBK racers we're going to see for a decade or so. The NASCAR buffoons have reduced AMA roadracing to such a pathetic joke that there no longer exists a path for young American racers to get to the big time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The bell was rung the day FOX bought Speedvision and turned it into the NASCAR channel. It stopped ringing last year when Speedvision's bastard FOX stepchild, SPEED, decided not to air WSBK or AMA.

Television has moved into a paradigm that is totally driven by cost-benefit ratio and low-hanging fruit. In a world of endless reality shows and song and dance competition clones that cost $5 to produce and rake in millions, the long shots are increasingly edged out and the American consciousness continues to fade out from the edges.

Still, I am less interested in watching rich people ride and more interested in watching talented people ride, and I have had reservations about which type has been racing in AMA. Aside from television, the internal flaw in the AMA is the lack of support and development at the ground floor which has made the effort look and perform quite pale next to that of say, the Spaniards.

Motorsport in the USA is too much of an old boys club in general and is simply not affordable enough to be accessible to a self-sustaining number of participants, TV or no TV. With a weakening middle class this trend will only continue to creep along as a pastime of the wealthy.

The AMA is just a cultural and socio-economic canary......

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Sadly, I think we've seen the last American MotoGP or WSBK racers we're going to see for a decade or so. The NASCAR buffoons have reduced AMA roadracing to such a pathetic joke that there no longer exists a path for young American racers to get to the big time.
Technically, it was an ex-AMA official who was funded by NASCAR types that did this.

At this point, I don't think the NASCAR types have any idea how to fix it.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Technically, it was an ex-AMA official who was funded by NASCAR types that did this.

At this point, I don't think the NASCAR types have any idea how to fix it.
They can't fix their own series. Ticket sales have declined for years and some tracks are removing grandstand seats. Someone like Live Nation needs to buy it and run it like Supercross.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Wow. Just............Wow.

One of my consistent gripes with the AMA is lack of scheduling. You can't build a fan base when you race once and then disappear for a month or two. Factor in this new schedule and the number of fans that are left is sure to dwindle to almost nothing.

This is a very sad day for motorcycle racing in America :(

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
The AMA is a dinosaur itself. With motorcycle ownership skyrocketing, they should be a lot more active in...anything rather than a reactionary mouthpiece to token legislation. To get things done as a PAC, you need to be good at public relations - both with your constituents and with legislatures. If they're not a PAC in todays world, what the f are they good for?

I've never joined because I see them as insignificant in so many ways, and I wish there was some sort of motorcyclist association, preferably nationwide.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
They can't fix their own series. Ticket sales have declined for years and some tracks are removing grandstand seats. Someone like Live Nation needs to buy it and run it like Supercross.
I thing that NASCAR's declining ticket sales is due to the lingering economic situation. The longer that goes on, the more ticket sales will slide as people find it harder and harder to justify.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
some racers on facebook like only having 5 races. and i can't believe how many people think it's dumb to race on sat and sunday. i think that's awesome for the fans that come to the track.

in my opinion any of the young kids wanting to race as a career better start moving over seas. racing in the usa is a dead end and pointless.

·
Registered
61 Posts
some racers on facebook like only having 5 races. and i can't believe how many people think it's dumb to race on sat and sunday. i think that's awesome for the fans that come to the track.

in my opinion any of the young kids wanting to race as a career better start moving over seas. racing in the usa is a dead end and pointless.
What is their rationale? That it costs them too much?

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
What is their rationale? That it costs them too much?
that is EXACTLY what they use as the excuse. Jake Zemke, Tommy hayden were blasted with neg comments on their facebook page for supporting the 5 race schedule.
I know they're at least happy to be racing again but jesus christ, have some balls and take a stand against the fuckers that are ruining your racing chances at all in the usa.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Rumor has it that Danny Eslick will race for Rider's Discount aboard the Triumph Daytona 675.

And here is AMA's tax form. $1.7m loss.

Soup :: AMA Tax Form: $1.7 Million Dollar Loss :: 01-11-2014
ama pro racing says that ama and ama pro racing are not the same organizations. the loss is the ama not the pro racing. they post so much better news on facebook than websites do.
I have a fake name on FB because I despise everything it stands for because..well that's another story but these guys all post the real inside news.

and it's no rumor eslick is to race for riders discount
AMA Pro Road Racing News - Riders Discount Triumph To Field Danny Eslick In 2014 AMA Pro Daytona SportBike Championship

westby with yamalube,
AMA Pro Road Racing News - Yamalube/Westby Racing will Contest 2014 AMA Pro Daytona SportBike Series with Dane Westby

melissa paris will be racing FIM CEV International Championship
It's Official: Melissa Paris To Compete For Stratos Racing Team In 2014 FIM CEV International Championship

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
yeah a lot more of the american riders better start looking at other places if they plan on racing in the future. that's my opinion.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts