Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Old/Slow, But having fun
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sunday afternoon I was riding with 3 friends down 295 South (a major limited access road in South Jersey). We had caught up with a pack of 8 or so trucks and cars. The pack was moving about 65, a pair of 18 wheelers were at the front of the pack. I must admit it was a tad annoying waiting for traffic but we were only a couple of miles from the Delaware Memorial Bridge which opens up to 4 lanes.
I saw some single headlights coming up fast from behind. A few seconds later 5 sport bikes blew past us, tee shirts blowing up around their shoulders. 2 split the lanes and went right up the center between us (threaded the needle between the 18 wheelers) while the other 3 simultaneously went up the shoulder. In an instant they were gone. Now I normally don’t do road rage, but I was livid. I wanted to drag these guys off their bikes set them on fire. When traffic broke up and it came time to pass the cars and trucks (legally) I was embarrassed to be riding a sport bike.
Am I over reacting?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Sunday afternoon I was riding with 3 friends down 295 South (a major limited access road in South Jersey). We had caught up with a pack of 8 or so trucks and cars. The pack was moving about 65, a pair of 18 wheelers were at the front of the pack. I must admit it was a tad annoying waiting for traffic but we were only a couple of miles from the Delaware Memorial Bridge which opens up to 4 lanes.
I saw some single headlights coming up fast from behind. A few seconds later 5 sport bikes blew past us, tee shirts blowing up around their shoulders. 2 split the lanes and went right up the center between us (threaded the needle between the 18 wheelers) while the other 3 simultaneously went up the shoulder. In an instant they were gone. Now I normally don’t do road rage, but I was livid. I wanted to drag these guys off their bikes set them on fire. When traffic broke up and it came time to pass the cars and trucks (legally) I was embarrassed to be riding a sport bike.
Am I over reacting?
Nope, I've been embarrassed by other people too. Everyone around you was probably thinking that you were a very responsible and respectful rider though, so don't be so hard on yourself. I get angry at people that ride immaturely pretty often, but when you set a good example, the people in the cars around you will more often than not be thinking pretty highly of you.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Pfft happens everywhere, everyday.

Yesterday I was eating a hamburger at a park all geared up helmet on handlebar-what did I see?

1. Harley rider with no helmet-talking on the phone, held by shoulder.
2. tank top smiling rider saying "look at me, look at me"
3. A new Vrod owner stuck in the middle of the road unable to get it in gear.
4. no shirt, no helmet, no brains with the fat chick in the back.
5. group of squiddos huddled together like they been friends since 3rd grade.

Im embarrassed to own a sportbike at times...then I see some responsible ones and feel better all of a sudden. Only yesterday I was the only one geared up out of all of them.

I forgot to mention I felt like taking a bat to them...all of them-but thats just the anger I have...in general.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I've had embarrassing incidents like that as well. Gives all riders a bad name. Keep that road rage in check. Not only could it get you into trouble, but it's not good for the BP. :)

·
Canyon Assault Vehicle
1,299 Posts
I'd have been pissed, too..it takes a lot to get under my skin, but the difference is usually when those idiots put OTHER lives at risk instead of just their own.

I might have caught up safely and memorized a few plate numbers...but that's just me.

It's squidly bullshit like that that makes us all look bad and pay higher insurance premiums.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
That's not squidly bullshit. That's utilizing a motorcycle's capabilities and taking advantage of it's small size.

Passing cars is one of the great advantages of owning a bike, and splitting lanes is part of that.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
I'd have been pissed, too..it takes a lot to get under my skin, but the difference is usually when those idiots put OTHER lives at risk instead of just their own.
Other than their own, who else's life was at risk? The truck driver's?

·
Banned
3,836 Posts
I would have joined them...

Well not actually. I would of chuckled at what they were doing, and kept going at my pace. Because I have done stupid dangerous things before too.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Youre going to hell jerome! Every time you violate my precious space you kill a kitten you know that, right? Splitting lanes is a slippery slope to hard drugs like marijuana and the devils music

edit: and pedophilia. Sweet sweet pedophilia.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Am I over reacting?

THat's one of the reasons why our insurance is so damn high. There statistics.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Pfft happens everywhere, everyday.

Yesterday I was eating a hamburger at a park all geared up helmet on handlebar-what did I see?

1. Harley rider with no helmet-talking on the phone, held by shoulder.
2. tank top smiling rider saying "look at me, look at me"
3. A new Vrod owner stuck in the middle of the road unable to get it in gear.
4. no shirt, no helmet, no brains with the fat chick in the back.
5. group of squiddos huddled together like they been friends since 3rd grade.

Im embarrassed to own a sportbike at times...then I see some responsible ones and feel better all of a sudden. Only yesterday I was the only one geared up out of all of them.

I forgot to mention I felt like taking a bat to them...all of them-but thats just the anger I have...in general.
Wheres the photos, yo?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
yes you are overreacting, gixxer.

if you are not careful you will morph into a jparks clone on two wheels. dragging the riders off their bikes is one thing, but to set the bikes on fire? c'mon, at least let SBN members use the bikes as trackwhores.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Too bad US drivers/riders don't do it like it's done in Italy, etc. Until the EC made them do it like here, riding was SO great over there. The vast majority of their drivers don't have their heads up their asses. Got a small width vehicle, put it where you can. No spite, no problem.

6 great years and then I return to the morons. Those truckers probably didn't even know the bikes were there, yakking on their stupid CB's.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Unsafe manuevers come home to roost eventually.

I dont really care about the legality on mc, if the manuevers were done safe double yellow pass whatever. You saw them coming so kudos for staying on top of your surroundings.

But if they split right next to you at high rate of speed, thats not really kool.

one day they will catch a rider that unkowingly shifts about that time and Bam.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
In my world of m/cing if one rides a sportbike & has the experience THEN you go down a cog or two, turn up the wick & get rid of the tie-up ahead of you, especially if one was riding a sportbike.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
yes you are overreacting, gixxer.

if you are not careful you will morph into a jparks clone on two wheels. dragging the riders off their bikes is one thing, but to set the bikes on fire? c'mon, at least let SBN members use the bikes as trackwhores.
It wasn't clear to me whether he intended to set the bikes or the riders on fire. Poor grammar. :neener

KeS

1 - 20 of 46 Posts