Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i'm greg i'm 17 and i've been dreaming about getting a bike for a few years now but my parents aren't too thrilled. i finally got them to say i'm allowed to get a bike just not yet, so i'm wait till i turn 18. i don't have a drivers license yet (still on my permit cuz my mom doesn't want me to take my test yet, no real reason) but i'd consider myself a decent driver compared to most teens. i'm a straight A student, never drank/did drugs and i've never got hurt doing something stupid (cuz i don't usually do anything stupid). i told them i plan to get a Ninja 250, buy gear, take the MSF course, etc. i live in the city and ride my bike (the kind u pedal) on the streets so i know a little about not being seen by cars. i realize that motorcycling is dangerous and a lot different from my mountain bike (max speed 35mph; please don't bother giving me any sh^t about the bicycle) but is it reasonable to get a motorcycle with only 2 yrs driving experience, my dad's reasoning for saying no

thanx
greg

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I would think most people here would agree that you should have more than 2 years experience driving before you start riding. However, I started riding before I even drove a car on the road. Sure, I've driven my bro's truck a few times when I was 14-15 years old but that was just around my neighborhood. It probably wasn't the smartest idea but it worked out for me.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
I was in your position not too long ago. Im 17, been riding hardtail for a couple years, but always been given hints at what I should be riding through life. I know if every teenager had a motorcycle 95% of them would try to wheelie before they learned to turn. I wasnt one of them...So I convinced my parent that I deserved the opportunity, and set out to find a small bike to get.

Though I was looking for a 500, I ended up getting an older 600. Teach your dad about motorcycles a little. If he rode a 250 I bet he wouldnt think so badly of it:p lugging himself around on that quick scooter

·
Gonna go far on my GSX-R!
2,238 Posts
The driving experience would help but I think it's more important that you are planning on starting on a 250. That's what I did and that little bike will teach you a ton about riding. I did what you did and I'm fine. Just start small and don't get cocky

·
Registered
47 Posts
back when I was 17 (lol 2 months ago :p) my dad and I both took the MSF course, kind of like bonding time or whatever, I ended up getting a ninja 250 and he bought his girlfriend a sv650. After riding her sv650 around today for 3 hours out of a cruise with them, im in love :) . Im trying to work a deal with my dad to let me get a 02 650 and make payments on it, along with my truck. I think the best thing you can do is convince your dad to take the MSF course with you so he knows what motorcycles are all about. Wear your gear and drive responsible.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I didn't start riding until I had about 7 years of extensive driving experience. This experience was invaluable to me later as a new rider, especially considering I also learned to ride in a major city (San Francisco). I think it would be to your long term advantage to have much more than only 2 years driving experience before taking to the streets on your 1st motorcycle. However, given the rest of the information in your post, you are likely starting from a much better vantage point then most of your counterparts.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
Take the MSF course, get the full drivers lisence (reguardless of what mom says), get the motorcycle endorsement, and get your Ninja 250. Pay for insurance by yourself if you have to. Basically, if you leave it up to your parents they always have the option to pull the plug. If you go out and do it by yourself, if you show some initiative and passion, and if you show them that you ARE going to get it, they are more likely to support it.

When I started a couple months ago, I asked my parents and they were skeptical. Then I went out one day and bought a bunch of gear. They were like... OK, but take a saftey course. They were surprised and happy to learn that I already signed up for the MSF class. When I got that taken care of, I ran through what bikes I was looking at and they seemed a little bit more easy going about it. Now I feel I have 95% of their support about my bike ownership.

·
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx

first i want to thank everyone for giving me their opinions, i never expected to get this much feedback. there's been a lot of good advice so far. i have asked my dad if he'd be willing to take the MSF course with me and he said yes. only thing is that u need ur motorcycle permit to go and by letting me get that they've pretty much given in. i've been on them about it everyday cuz i want them to know i'm serious and that i won't just forget about it. i had another setback in my mission the other day though. my uncle, who rides a Harley started going on about how crazy people are and how he hates riding alone. i think part of the problem is that people feel they're invincible ne more in a car. half the people out there are on their cell phones, eating, drinking, smoking, changing CDs, shaving, READING, shaving, putting on make up, having sex, etc while driving. not only is it dangerous to ride a bike but to even walk across the street

simply put, people suck, i hate em

thanx
greg

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
I think you are going about it in the right way. Keep being patient and absorb all the info you can. I don't necessarily feel that experience on the road with a car will be an advantage for riding. Once you get your bike, just be patient and safe. Start out in a parking lot, progress to safe roads(preferably a development) and then to the street. You seem like you will be ok. Just have a lot of respect for the machine you are on and you will be ok.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Honestly..this is what i think. I think (like posted above) you should have at least 2 years of solid driving under your belt before going for a bike. Not cause you won't be a good driver or anything like that, but alll the possible mistakes that comes from rider's error (not related to bikes) can be prevented and taken into experience with a car. With a bike, if it's your first time out on the streets, you're driving to learn to actually drive and to ride at the same time. When i first got my permit, i drove every single day cause i just loved driving. And I can tell you that it takes EXPERIENCE to learn. But i mean, if you feel confident, your call. Just thought to say it will be doubling the risk (maybe more) to learn to ride and "drive" at the same time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts