Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriends bro has an 03 r6 and he was on this road called crystal springs. nice turns, trees in the backround all that good stuff. well this road usually leads to our school. our school is only a couple of min. away. last week He figured it was hot and all and it wasn't that far so he didn't need his coat. He was coming back from school and was practicing his turns when at one blind turn, there was something in the middle of the road, racoon or something, he tried to avoid it and ended up in a dirt section on the side, the dirt section was about to end so he tried to maneuver back on the road, he didn't get traction hit some rock, flipped over the handle bars and bike flipped over him, he slid for a good amount and his arm was all scrapped and all aswell as his bike, he's cool now but he wouldn't of had to deal with all those scrapes and tears and all if only (moral of story) he was wearing his leathers. Even if its to go down the street, always wear them.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I bought an Aerostich 1pc Roadcrafter suit so I wear that thing every time I get on the bike. But if I didn't have it, I wouldn't think twice about just throwing a jacket on and riding in a pair of blue jeans if I wasn't going very far.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Always wear a helmet, jacket and gloves. I always wear jeans. When I race I will be in full leathers.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I always do.

·
Registered
321 Posts
n10city35 said:
My girlfriends bro has an 03 r6 and he was on this road called crystal springs. nice turns, trees in the backround all that good stuff. well this road usually leads to our school. our school is only a couple of min. away. last week He figured it was hot and all and it wasn't that far so he didn't need his coat. He was coming back from school and was practicing his turns when at one blind turn, there was something in the middle of the road, racoon or something, he tried to avoid it and ended up in a dirt section on the side, the dirt section was about to end so he tried to maneuver back on the road, he didn't get traction hit some rock, flipped over the handle bars and bike flipped over him, he slid for a good amount and his arm was all scrapped and all aswell as his bike, he's cool now but he wouldn't of had to deal with all those scrapes and tears and all if only (moral of story) he was wearing his leathers. Even if its to go down the street, always wear them.
IMO, somebody should post this each and every day. I use to be one of those riders, that would slip out with some bullchit on.. They say you can't teach old dogs new tricks. Well, not in this case. I learned about this, and not the hard way. I learned about this from posts like yours. :)
I wear my leathers to work, to the store, everyday where. they make fun of me and call me a power ranger. :) The only exceptions are, sometimes I will wear mesh, textile with armor.

Good post, and I think all riders, mostly newbies should take heed..

ceh
2001 GSX R1000
2003 RC51
(63 & fast)

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
mercutio80 said:
The REAL moral of the story? Don't ride hard around blind corners.
Quit making excuses for the fact that you don't wear your leathers :twofinger

·
old member
13,079 Posts
mercutio80 said:
The REAL moral of the story? Don't ride hard around blind corners.
That's a great point. Avoid the get-off if you can. Wear proper gear in case you can't.

Pushing the "basic speed law" gets more experienced riders into trouble than anything else. Don't ride faster than you can stop within the distance you can see even on roads you know well. Assume that there's an Excursion making a U-turn in that blind corner just ahead. It happens, unfortunately.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
+1 to all that stuff...wear leathers and don't ride faster than you can stop relative to how far you can see.

i'll go ahead and expand a little to say that riding hard without leathers is a whole different ball game than riding below 30mph to the store and back to pick up some smokes...or something. i believe that the risk is far greater from one to the other.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
always do....... never a question about it.....

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Mucho Gonzales said:
+1 to all that stuff...wear leathers and don't ride faster than you can stop relative to how far you can see.

i'll go ahead and expand a little to say that riding hard without leathers is a whole different ball game than riding below 30mph to the store and back to pick up some smokes...or something. i believe that the risk is far greater from one to the other.
+1.....OMG, did I say that? Full leathers for hard rides, even though I wear leathers everywhere, I completely agree that jeans are ok if you are gonna run down to the local grocery store. But then again, isn't that what our cages are for?

·
Registered
569 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Quit making excuses for the fact that you don't wear your leathers :twofinger
I don't wear leathers... :twofinger

I actually can't remember the last time I wore leather on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
firefighter81 said:
+1.....OMG, did I say that? Full leathers for hard rides, even though I wear leathers everywhere, I completely agree that jeans are ok if you are gonna run down to the local grocery store. But then again, isn't that what our cages are for?

While I don't follow it, I disagree on the risk. Just because you aren't pushing yourself and are staying well within your limits doesn't mean the danger is decreased. If it's not the rider making the mistake, it's all the dipshits around you on your way to the store. Sometimes I think that risk is higher. I'd rather lowside into a ditch at 80 and potentially not hit anything solid than take a definate hard hit by a suv running a redlight while talking on a cell phone.

·
Registered
569 Posts
RhythmsDJs said:
While I don't follow it, I disagree on the risk. Just because you aren't pushing yourself and are staying well within your limits doesn't mean the danger is decreased. If it's not the rider making the mistake, it's all the dipshits around you on your way to the store. Sometimes I think that risk is higher. I'd rather lowside into a ditch at 80 and potentially not hit anything solid than take a definate hard hit by a suv running a redlight while talking on a cell phone.
If you hit (or are hit by) something solid leather isn't going to help, and the armor that typically comes with our riding gear probably isn't going to be of much use either.

I really think appropriate riding gear is very important, but I think we should be realistic about what it can and can not do.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
i'll try it this way. there is always risk of being hit by a car regardless of if you are riding as hard as you can, or just going down the block...we're even. but if you add it that you are pushing your limits it's now 2 risks to one.

i agree tho that wearing gear all the time versus not significantly changes your chances of getting hurt from a wreck, and you never know when it's going to happen, so in that sense wearing gear all the time is the way to go.

·
Registered
319 Posts
RhythmsDJs said:
Just because you aren't pushing yourself and are staying well within your limits doesn't mean the danger is decreased.
Sure it does. Look at the converse: if you ARE pushing yourself to the edge of your limits, the danger is definitely increased. That's common sense. So if you're running to the store at 30 mph taking no extra risks, it's not out of the question that you might weigh the risks and the benefits and decide that it's not worthwhile to put on that 1-piece this time.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My point isn't what the leather would do or not do. The point is that you can't say, "ah, I don't need gear, I'm only going to the store." It's not that simple. Riding always puts us in danger, just different types for different situations. I know, that if I'm riding near my limits, I'm definately not in the city or running to the store. However, I'm also able to tell myself, knock that off, you're being dumb. I can't say that to the lemmings in cages too caught up with talking, eating, doing makeup, shaving or whatever that never bother to look for me.

What I'm getting at, is don't be complacent and assume you won't need your gear. Usually Murphy's law takes over and that's when you'll need it the most.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
I rode in jeans, only 7 miles home from my buddies house and had a 40mph lowslide (story in newb section). My textile jacket held up, my Icon gloves held up, and my Arai held. However, my jeans were shredded at the knees. To think you're safe at short distances is nieve. However, to say I won't ever ride in jeans again would be false. I now KNOW the hard way they don't do shit if you fall and are at any type of speed. The only thing I can see them helping with is if you fall over at a stop light, the exhaust might not burn you, :lol. However, I should of snapped some pics of my left knee before I went to the hospital. Ever seen your own knee cap and patella (sp?) tendon flex? I can now say I have. It's been 15 days and all my minor rash and burns have healed, but left knee is still slow going. I'm just now getting back my full range of motion. Minus the fact I'm still missing 1\4" of skin on it and its still an open cut. Jeans don't do shit, I'm living proof :D.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts