Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's what I always tell people. Get some good stands, or some day you will be standing in your garage cursing as you looks at your now-sleeping motorcycle. Well, I should have taken my own advice. I sold my good stands and borrowed a set of cheapies for this project. Today was my day. Crash! "Dammit!"

Here's another tip. If you're working on a bike using cheap stands, move all your other bikes out of the way to avoid the domino effect.

And another. When picking your bike up, make damn sure your kickstand is down. Really down.

Although it was a bad day, I feel pretty good about the fact that, on my 52nd birthday, I can still pick up a 450 lb motorcycle. Twice.

Anyone got a clutch lever for a 95 ZX-9? Or a left mirror for a Kymco Agility 125?

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
^ yeah- that's the more important question.

What stands were those so I can fricking avoid them!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ProLite 2000. They'r def not "Pro" and they're not particularly light either.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
That's what I always tell people. Get some good stands, or some day you will be standing in your garage cursing as you looks at your now-sleeping motorcycle. Well, I should have taken my own advice. I sold my good stands and borrowed a set of cheapies for this project. Today was my day. Crash! "Dammit!"

Here's another tip. If you're working on a bike using cheap stands, move all your other bikes out of the way to avoid the domino effect.

And another. When picking your bike up, make damn sure your kickstand is down. Really down.

Although it was a bad day, I feel pretty good about the fact that, on my 52nd birthday, I can still pick up a 450 lb motorcycle. Twice.

Anyone got a clutch lever for a 95 ZX-9? Or a left mirror for a Kymco Agility 125?

:bdayb :bdaycake :bdayb

;)

KeS

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Surprisingly they are not Trackside, which is the kind of stand I am looking to buy in the near future.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Almost did the same thing on my Conours. I was taking the wheels off to get new tires put on them. Used the center stand on the rear and a jack under the engine to get the front off. I figured that I could just leave it on the jack as I wasn't going to be very long. When I got back the jack had settled all the way down and the bike was balancing with the front forks almost touching the ground. It was so close to going over that I just barely touched the bike and it started falling. I honestly don't know how it stayed like that long enough for me to get home and save it.

:tremble

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Almost did the same thing on my Conours. I was taking the wheels off to get new tires put on them. Used the center stand on the rear and a jack under the engine to get the front off. I figured that I could just leave it on the jack as I wasn't going to be very long. When I got back the jack had settled all the way down and the bike was balancing with the front forks almost touching the ground. It was so close to going over that I just barely touched the bike and it started falling. I honestly don't know how it stayed like that long enough for me to get home and save it.

:tremble
That's what they used to call a French jack. ;)

When you use the center stand as a support, you should always run a tiedowm forward so the stand can't fold up if the bike moves.

KeS

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Heh.... my bike is sitting in the garage right now on the center stand with the jack under the engine and the front end off the ground... been like that since like tuesday. I mean- I think it's still like that. I haven't been in the garage since I left it there.

Stupid bmw's... you can't use pitbull stands with them unless you get the SUPER expensive one that they made FOR bmw with the bmw badges on it. That is discontinued now.

So yeah- I have 3 pitbull stand and one front stand of another brand, and they are all fucking useless for my current bike.

THANKFULLY my front wheel is on, so even if it settles it's not going anywhere.

But yeah- how exactly did it fall?

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Stupid bmw's... you can't use pitbull stands with them unless you get the SUPER expensive one that they made FOR bmw with the bmw badges on it. That is discontinued now.

So yeah- I have 3 pitbull stand and one front stand of another brand, and they are all fucking useless for my current bike.
This is why I love being a fabricator. All of my stands were custom built by me, including the "special" one for the Duc's single sided swing arm. What's so weird about the BMW?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
The S1000RR, nothing. A lot of the other big BMW's have a single-sided swingarm, but AFAIK Pitbull does make a rear stand for them.

KeS
The engineers at BMW haven't made up their mind on final drives so you have...

Rigth now I can remember...

Air head final drives... (dunno how many different ones there are)

Oil head final drives...

Hexhead final drives... (the "lifetime" lube ones, ABS I)

Hexhead final drives... (the ones with the drain, still ABS I)

Another Hexhead final drive (ABS II) also shared with camheads...

And the water boxers will use a different final drive!

All of them require a different stand...

Oh, and the K bikes also have different final drives...

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
The engineers at BMW haven't made up their mind on final drives so you have...

Rigth now I can remember...

Air head final drives... (dunno how many different ones there are)

Oil head final drives...

Hexhead final drives... (the "lifetime" lube ones, ABS I)

Hexhead final drives... (the ones with the drain, still ABS I)

Another Hexhead final drive (ABS II) also shared with camheads...

And the water boxers will use a different final drive!

All of them require a different stand...

Oh, and the K bikes also have different final drives...
Hmm. I thought all the shaft bikes since 2004 used the same stands. ??

KeS

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
This is why I love being a fabricator. All of my stands were custom built by me, including the "special" one for the Duc's single sided swing arm. What's so weird about the BMW?
First of all a lot of them don't have "forks" duolever/telelever front ends don't have a lower triple tree really, the shock is there.

...so no traditional front stands,

and since BMW favors shaft drives, the usual pin arrangement doesn't work on the their SSSA arrangements....even in the (what two?) cases where the hub is even on usual side.

....special snowflakes there.

Caveat being the S1000RR, its vanilla forks and DSSA, so you can use anything on those bikes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts