Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 98 Katana a few weeks ago because i got a good deal on it....i was already looking for a bike, but bought this one a little sooner than I planned. I had no experience riding to speak of, now I have take the MSF course, gotten my M endorsement on my DL...feel good about riding and like riding, BUT

I am not sure I like the Katana now...I guess what I am asking is do I just need to get used to it...as I have only put maybe 20 miles on it....or what? THe small 250's used in the course were a breeze to ride and since then my bike feels uncomfortable and heavy. I am hoping I just get used to it...if not I am thinking of getting a Ninja 250 or 500 instead. Opinions are appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yes it's a lot heavier than a 250 or 500, but also, yes, you will get used to it.... ride it everyday for a week and it will feel like nothing :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
joberly said:
Yes it's a lot heavier than a 250 or 500, but also, yes, you will get used to it.... ride it everyday for a week and it will feel like nothing :)
exactly...I don't know exactly what the kat weighs, but it just takes getting used to. I moved up to a Seca II (about 430lbs.) out of MSF, after no time (but probably more than 20 miles), it felt natural to be on that thing.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Unless you're really short and/or a flyweight, you'll get used to it. Find an empty parking lot and practice all of the MSF drills on the Kat. After a few hours mastering that, the bike will feel more "natural".

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
thats why everyone says to start small on here but you should get used to it

·
Registered
24 Posts
I started on my neighbour's 700 Harley. That was something. Soon after I bought the FZ6; thought that bike was rather unweildy, too; keep riding all the while I took the MSF course. I was comfortable enough with the MSF bikes to end up dragging the foot pegs due to leaning on a curve.

That, in turn, made me more confident in riding my bike as I knew it would act the same way, but with more weight and power. It is something you do get used to.

·
Registered
260 Posts
im sure its just like going from an automatic car and trying 2 learn stick. just takes a lil time cause the 1st one was so easy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys....I thought i would but riding it seems so much harder than the little 250 in the MSF course...I will go to the same parking lot where the test was done and practice on my bike

·
Registered
24 Posts
jasfrmn said:
Thanks guys....I thought i would but riding it seems so much harder than the little 250 in the MSF course...I will go to the same parking lot where the test was done and practice on my bike
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I practiced every single one of the MSF practices at my local school's car park.

Think I did that for a week for hours at a time. Guys playing basketball got to see me stall out countless times pretending to maneuver in a crowded car park; lose balance doing those figure-8 U-turns on the an uneven flat; lose balance and stall out on rapid stops in a turn, in gravel; see me nearly jerk off the bike as I was getting used to throttle control; lock up the front; lock up the rear; had the rear slide under me as I didn't rev-sync on a downshift well enough, et-cetera.

But, hey, I'd much rather look stupid in front of strangers who won't remember me for a good week than look dead in front of family and friends.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Stick it out for another 3 months, put in a bunch of hours in the saddle, and then report back...You may or may not agree with the way you feel now, but either way, you'll know for sure...

Good luck, either way...

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'll go against the grain an say if you don't feel comfy, by all means get a smaller bike and ride it around for 6 months first. The kat will always be there when you get some miles in.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had about 500 miles on my CB200T when I got my GSX-R600. It was unweildy at first but after 1000 miles I was comfortable, and after 3000 I was actually able to ride the bike to 60% of its limit in the corners, and am dragging knee.

I have dropped my bike once on each side. The first time cause it was dark and didn't see that the sidestand had collapsed when I tried to park it. The second time I was pulling into a parking space with the wheel locked to the right going a bit too fast to make the turn, I grabbed the front brake hard and dumped it.

Learn from my mistakes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts