Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if I remember correctly, Tuesdays are statistically the best day for driving at night, late at night. Less drunks, less people on the road, etc. So, I decided to go for a ride, a long one. I was at Bennigan’s in Rockville, MD with a friend for dinner at about midnight and left from there, heading north solo. Clear semi-warm, night, great for riding. I head about 70-80 miles north on 355 – then 26, then 550, and finally ended up on 15, heading towards Gettysburg. So I get to Gettysburg, and stop to turn around and take the hwy back. I pull over under a streetlight, (scarce where I was) and give the bike a once over. All looks good, time to head home. It’s about 2 am at this point. I merge on the hwy, and all is going well. Cruising at about 70-75, I go and pass a truck on the left and there is a van in the left lane. I follow the van hoping that they are going to get over so that I don’t have to pass on the right. Well about 30 sec later, they still have not gotten over. So I signal, check the lane, speed up and proceed in to the right lane. Well, just as soon as the road lights up, there is a dear carcaas in the middle of the lane. There is NOTHING that I can do to avoid it.

First thought in my head, “OH F**K, this is going to hurt” I loosen up my grip on the throttle, don’t hit the brakes and aim as perpendicular as I can to it. BAM!!! Up in the air the bike goes, and while I am in the air, I am thinking…. “Ok, the bike wants to remain up and running in a straight line” so I hit the ground hard, and wobble a little, but as I thought, the bike wanted to stay up. Ahhhhh, it didn’t hurt as bad as I thought that it would, I am still rolling along the hwy in the middle of nowhere, and the bike feels fine. I signal and pull off on the side of the road, and check the tires to see that they are still inflated, and look for any visible damage on the bike. Nothing that I could easily see on the surface, I push on the tires, they are still holding pressure and I get back on ride to the next gas station. Stop there and check out the bike again, and there is nothing wrong with it. So I drive the remainder of the 60+ miles home and park it. I am going to look at it again in the AM when there is more light.

Anyway, that was my first close call on the street, and I think that took a huge chunk of my luck from my luck bag. I owe not panicking to “More Proficient Motoring, Mastering the Ride” By David L. Hough. I remembered that it takes about a second to swerve and I knew that I didn’t have a second to avoid it. So I kept on going… I think that had I swerved, I would have it it at an angle and ended up in the woods. Had I squeezed the life out of the brakes, I would have hit it with all the weight on the front wheel, and I would have gone over the handle bars.

Aside from the smart remarks of don’t hit it, does anyone have any other opinions on how I could have handled the deer carcass better? I didn’t crash, so I figured that I did the right thing, but I would like to know if anyone else has a better suggestion…..

·
Registered
819 Posts
lucky escape mate... glad you and the bike are ok...

When i did my motorcycle course/test the instructor told us to hit the gas a lil just before you hit to transfer weight to the rear so your front tyre goes up easier...

·
Registered
321 Posts
pigrat said:
lucky escape mate... glad you and the bike are ok...

When i did my motorcycle course/test the instructor told us to hit the gas a lil just before you hit to transfer weight to the rear so your front tyre goes up easier...

Same thing my instructor said, he also said to run over anything that is lower than your front axel. He called them "squishables"

·
Registered
706 Posts
v4barnes said:
He called them "squishables"
:eek:nfloor and our instructors only talked a bout 2x4's. :dunno

Good job on not panicking. You came out alright, so you did alright in my opinion. And don't take this the wrong way, but I would love to see that on video.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
v4barnes said:
Same thing my instructor said, he also said to run over anything that is lower than your front axel. He called them "squishables"
Just like in your avatar. :D

But you handled the situation about as best you could and survived. I hope there was no damage to anything.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
dude so you ran over a dead deer .... how big was it? glad to see your ok but i thought this story would definately wind up with you bitting it... I almost hit a damn dog the other night but it was my fault cuz i had my smoked visor down & really didnt see it until it was bout 5 ft away, that was crazy

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, I just woke up and looked at the bike. No damage, just hair and a little blood from the carcass. :banana

Pictures to come if anyone is interested....

As far as a video is concerned, Oh, I would love to see it on video as well, no offence taken :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Last year I went on a bike trip all around southern Ontario, and at about 11pm we were riding (3 of us). MY dad and his friend rode side by side with highbeams on to light the road up a little more, and i rode behind them. Anyways, i started seeing something that kinda looked like a dark spot in the road, maybe a pothole or uneven part. As we get closer i see its a damn porcupine right in my dads path, and since he was riding beside someone he had nowhere to swerve so he ran right over it. He kept the bike up and continued to ride. Once we got to the hotel he checked his bike out and had about 20 quills in his tires, that luckily didnt puncture the whole tire.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Poo-Tee-weet, I guess you dad got the point! hehe.

I don't think that I have ever been as freaked out as I was when I saw the carcass in the road, I was thinking shit this could be it... (there was a semi behind me) but a cool head and quick thinking keep me out of trouble. Glad that you dad didn't crash as well...

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Holy crap man.. You must have some DAMN good Karma or something. I have never heard of keeping a bike up hitting something that big.. I like the little mental dialogue you gave us too.. I think in my mind it would have been a whole lot of cussing and prayers!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Great job!

I was driven off the road by a deer once, bunch of them ran right out in front of me. I swirved the only direction I could to avoid them, which happend to be off the road. I went down this little embankment and into some tall grasses and branches and thought the whole time "keep it straight, keep it straight" as I scrubbed off speed wobbling like all hell. Finally slowed to a controllable speed about 8 feet from the treeline, but came into some mud so I couldn't pull back to the road. Didn't go down though!

I then proceeded to drop the bike repeatedly because of the mud/wet grass in my effort to get back up onto the road. No damaged, just a whole lot of dirty.

Funny how sometimes its "not doing something" that saves your butt. I swear if I would have tried to veer back to the road rather than riding out my offroad adventure, I would have ended up tumbling away.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Sounds like you did great. Sometimes in situations like this one, there really isn't much you can do other than think "damn this is gonna hurt." I know how it is, I was in the same situation as you a couple years ago. Only differences were the deer was alive and standing up. I didn't drop the bike either, but it was nonetheless totaled. Oh yeah, it was probably shut down to 25-30mph, if it would have impacted at your speeds, I would have went "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" right over the bars.

·
Registered
488 Posts
nowhere in that story did you say that you counted your lucky stars right after it happened.. thats the only thing i can see you did wrong.. congrats on your not being dead..lets see those pics

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
njssli22 said:
nowhere in that story did you say that you counted your lucky stars right after it happened.. thats the only thing i can see you did wrong.. congrats on your not being dead..lets see those pics
I didn't think that was a required part of the post. I figured that would be expressly IMPLIED. you are right tho.... once the bike was stable again, I was doing a lot more than thanking my lucky stars....

thanks for all the positive reinforcment, my buddy was telling me about a guy that he knew.... that was killed on his R1 by a rabbit.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
v4barnes said:
I can't say for sure that it was lower than my front axel, but it was big.

Pic's when I get home from work this morning. Nothing special, just a little deer hair and some blood on the toes of my timberlands.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts