Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well its 2am and i just got back from work. i was taking a left turn around a car (2 left turn lanes) and i start hanging off to the left looking through the turn. apparently i didnt look far enough cuz i hit one of those small manhold covers (about 1/4 the size ofthe big covers). anyways, it was recessed in the asphalt a little and i hit it with both my tires as i was in a lean. i felt my back end hop and kick out a little. i just kept the throttle where it was at and straightened out as fast as i could (almost hit the curb). besides the obvious of me not seeing that cover :mad: did i do everything else right?

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
You must have. You kept your head straigt and followed through. Nice Work. Sometimes i ride in a city near me (Endicott NY) and the potholes are always in the middle of the turns. that sucks. I also had to recover one time from my bike getting sidways on slippery RR tracks. Instincts kicked in. Then when it was over i though to myself wow! that was crazy!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
kdk1899 said:
You must have. You kept your head straigt and followed through. Nice Work. Sometimes i ride in a city near me (Endicott NY) and the potholes are always in the middle of the turns. that sucks. I also had to recover one time from my bike getting sidways on slippery RR tracks. Instincts kicked in. Then when it was over i though to myself wow! that was crazy!
yeah, it freaked me out after the fact cuz i thought i was goin down. my 1st reaction was to back off the throttle and grab the brake, but thank god i didnt grab the brake in mid-turn. :alky

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I almost ate the same way on my trip home from work yesterday. Was leaning through a turn and watching the exit point and rolled over a hot tar snake. Back end kicked out about a foot and a half...I hate those things.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know what you mean about the snakes. Every time I hit one in a turn and the back or front slides, it makes my stomach flip a little. Just did it yesterday too. Stupid crummy roads needing patching all the time....

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The word "patching" & "tar snakes" are so different when it comes to traction of a m/c. The tar snakes are cheap make-shift bits of tar & something else in a crack of a road to were even some of those doing the job will pour it on a spot, that should be patched, & there one is with a slick of tar some 8 by 12 feet or even larger, with much of the tar poured over the better asphalt. Any "tar snake" in hot weather, is a potential to take a rider down so quickly.

A "patched" portion of the road is a rough bit that can be a bit to high, to later on be a bit low & starting to crumble & break up only not as dangerous as the tar snakes. I will accept patches any day rather then tar snakes & I face a maze of them to a city from my town, through the city & finally out to the south end of the city with them slapped all around the bends. Freakin' deadly man!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Smitty said:
The word "patching" & "tar snakes" are so different when it comes to traction of a m/c.

Along these same lines, have any of you experienced those "Grooved Pavement" sections? It's like someone took a huge comb through wet pavement and let it dry. What the hell is the point? Trying to take even a slight turn or using the front brake to slow down on them is just asking for it. We have a few sections of it in the Dallas area, some a couple hundred feet long, I just don't get it :dunno

Sounds like a nice save though, glad you and the bike are alright!

·
Registered
522 Posts
nice save dude

·
Registered
750 Posts
We have some grooved sections of highway down here... miles and miles of it in fact, while they rip up some highway and pave it again. Once you get used to it you really don't notice it TOO much, just let the bike sort itself out while you're going over it (loose grip) and all should be fine. But yes it feels VERY strange the first few times you ride over it! I found myself going 45-50 on the grooved sections with posted limits of 65 the first time I encountered it... just another thing us M/C's have to get used to :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice save, where do you work at?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Those grooves are supposed to help shed rain better... They've gone here and shredded the top 1" of asphalt off of some of our freeways here... the road is now kind of cross hatched... makes for an unreasy squirrely feeling when the bikes on it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts