Sport Bikes banner

What months of the year are you riding your motorcycle? (sorry, only had 10 options)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

So far, my BMW R1200GS has been great to ride (but of course!). I bought the bike because of it's ability to handle both on and off road situations, and because it's a quality motorcycle. However, I also bought the bike because I'm thinking about riding it almost year around (I can't ride in the snow, but every other month).

I was wondering if you are riding your motorcycle year around (what months) and what you would recommend for someone that has not (yet).

If you have pics, please attach

Thank You,

Eric
BMW R1200GS.com

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Hello Everyone,

So far, my BMW R1200GS has been great to ride (but of course!). I bought the bike because of it's ability to handle both on and off road situations, and because it's a quality motorcycle. However, I also bought the bike because I'm thinking about riding it almost year around (I can't ride in the snow, but every other month).

I was wondering if you are riding your motorcycle year around (what months) and what you would recommend for someone that has not (yet).

If you have pics, please attach

Thank You,
Eric
I ride year 'round, but it's not really fair since I live in SoCal. When I move to New Hampshire, I expect I'll ride roughly May to October, with extensions at each end whenever weather permits.

PhilB

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I ride all year, but slightly less in July and August, due to the heat/humidity. November is the very best time for riding here in Fla.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have ridden in every month of the year at one time or another throughout my seven years of riding. Living in NE Ohio, we get both extremes; extremely hot summers and extremely cold winters. Every year, during the winter months, we get a couple of instances of 50s, 60s, and even had a full week of 70s in February a few years ago.

I never completely put the bike away during the winter. If it warms up and rains to get the salt off the roads, I'm riding.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Here....pretty much all year. I tend to avoid riding in hurricanes (seasonal fortunately) or if I suspect conditions are ripe for icing on the ground(rare). Adjusting various riding apparel jackets/gloves/heated apparel etc...for the season

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
Although I am in NJ I was able to ride every week of the year. I dont do rain and I dont do snow, everything else is a go!

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Live near D.C., ride year round, personal best was 12 degrees fahrenheit.

·
HEHATEME
16,189 Posts
Year round. Started riding in december and haven't stopped since.

·
Fool of the universe
1,311 Posts
live in DC, find I start winterizing around November, but once in awhile you get a good day and get lucky and the bike goes out. WOO HOO.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Damn that's pretty cold. Best I have ever done is 23 degrees.
I had to ride the Ducati that day because the POS Honda wouldn't start when it's that cold. The damn Yamaha's even worse--anything below 25 keeps it from firing up.

·
Banned
3,836 Posts
I had to ride the Ducati that day because the POS Honda wouldn't start when it's that cold. The damn Yamaha's even worse--anything below 25 keeps it from firing up.
The day I rode at 23 degrees was on my 1971 Norton Commando. :eek:nfloor

Oh boy what a fun start up routine that was. You ever try to kick-start a high compression Brit bike on a cold cold day?

·
vifosi
208 Posts
Heated gear (jacket/gloves) is a must. It seems pricey at first, but I swear, the first time you're rolling down the road at 80mph on a 30F day, toasty warm and happy as a clam, you'll be absolutely certain it was worth every penny. I rode for one winter before I got my heated gear (I saw 14F on my temp gauge one morning)... never again. My cold gear consists of a solid textile jacket with an insulating liner, and the heatest jacket liner; snowboarding pants over jeans; heated gloves, and a balaclava. Rain is no big deal as long as your tires aren't bald and you have rain gear. Snow... hell dude, you're on a GS. You should be able to handle up to 6" just fine! :dblthumb

I know I've posted this here before - I'm wearing my froggtoggs rainsuit over my Teknic textile jacket and snowpants. Oh, another hint that came to mind--some rainsuits like the 'toggs breathe very well, while others, like my old Motoboss one, don't breathe at all. Those non-breathing ones make GREAT windbreakers on cold days--if you don't want to spend the $$$ on heated gear, at least spend $40 on a motoboss rainsuit to wear over your gear when it's really cold.

·
Fool of the universe
1,311 Posts
Oh boy what a fun start up routine that was. You ever try to kick-start a high compression Brit bike on a cold cold day?
I don't even want to think about how much cursing I'd be doing if it were me...

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
The day I rode at 23 degrees was on my 1971 Norton Commando. :eek:nfloor

No, but I imagine it's marginally more fun than having my wife put her ice cold feet on my thigh in the middle of the night. :D

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Heated gear (jacket/gloves) is a must. It seems pricey at first, but I swear, the first time you're rolling down the road at 80mph on a 30F day, toasty warm and happy as a clam, you'll be absolutely certain it was worth every penny. I rode for one winter before I got my heated gear (I saw 14F on my temp gauge one morning)... never again. My cold gear consists of a solid textile jacket with an insulating liner, and the heatest jacket liner; snowboarding pants over jeans; heated gloves, and a balaclava. Rain is no big deal as long as your tires aren't bald and you have rain gear. Snow... hell dude, you're on a GS. You should be able to handle up to 6" just fine! :dblthumb
Heated gloves and a balaclava are gifts from the gods. lol

·
HEHATEME
16,189 Posts
I've ridden down to 20 and in sleet and besides my hands I was fine.

I just had my textile jacket+liner, gloves boots,backpro and all that helped lol

·
HEHATEME
16,189 Posts
^^Yep! Nice and temperate weather. Hurricanes have helped bring the temps down.

How do you like your CBR??

I'm thinking about selling my F4 and getting an 03-04 RR towards the end of the year or so

·
Registered
111 Posts
I love it! It's a great bike.

Before I bought it I was looking at buying a F4 but I fould my CBR at a really low price since it needed heavy heavy brake work.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts