Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only have about 350miles on my bike since I got it last Tuesday and I am wondering about all sorts of things.

1) What is the average temp (in bars) do your bikes run. I took mine out on a relly really HOT Houston day (about 115 with Heat Index) and hit 5 of 6 bars. Other hot days I get all 6 bars when I cut it off and back on, but about 3-4 usually.

2) What Temp is the temp reading on the display actaully reading? I've seen it say 120, 105, but usually around 86. That hotter that day, he hotter it reads - is that engine temp or outside... where exactly is it reading. Food for thought!

Hmmmmm.... ok bye now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
1) No worries - i get the same here in Dallas (usually at stop lights on hot days)

2) the actual temp reading display is the outside temp (air intake temp). I'm not sure exactly where the sensor is located. My guess is it is only accurate when you first turn your bike on - after that heat coming off the bike raises the reading highter than outside temp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
I don't think I've ever hit 6 bars. I'm in Florida so 90 degree weather is normal. Heat index hits around 100 with high humidity. Depending on my average speed, mine usually runs 3-4 bars. Usually 3 unless I'm in stop-n-go traffic. Prolly averages 86-90 on the display. If I'm messing around and practicing launching, I'll hit 4 or 5 at most. I've only hit 5 once that I know of.
 

·
2 As 1
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
I have never even hit 5 bars let alone 6. However, that could also be due to the fact that a full 90% of my riding is on the highway or fast back roads.

I am in Texas too, it is almost always at 3 bars, or again while moving at a good 75 - 80MPH it will read 2.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
superman89 said:
1) What is the average temp (in bars) do your bikes run. I took mine out on a relly really HOT Houston day (about 115 with Heat Index) and hit 5 of 6 bars. Other hot days I get all 6 bars when I cut it off and back on, but about 3-4 usually.
Maybe I spoke too soon superman - perhaps we're both running hot. I've hit 5 bars sitting at red lights many times when it's hot out. I've seen six a couple of times when I park it (again during the hottest part of the day). Two other fz'rs I ride with regularly - will check theirs next time we're riding in the heat of the day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
I have seen 5 bars while rolling slowly through town and 6 will pop-up right after I shut off the engine after a hard ride, but normally it will drop right back to 3-4 bars after I start it again. According to what I read the temperature read out is the airflow going into the system. I have not looked for the sensor, but would guess it is near the radiator. Not an accurate air temp reading, but a good idea of how hot it is over pavement and near the engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Wow! I thought 3 bars was high! I usually run mine with only 2 bars. Of course, it has been a rather cool summer here in Michigan. ;) Hope you guys don't overheat!

-J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
nogoshowboat said:
According to what I read the temperature read out is the airflow going into the system. I have not looked for the sensor, but would guess it is near the radiator. Not an accurate air temp reading, but a good idea of how hot it is over pavement and near the engine.
Having just looked over the workshop manual it would appear that the air intake sensor is mounted into one of the throttle bodies. This would make sense as it would then be measuring the temp of the air coming directly form the airbox, and could then make changes accordingly.

Skippy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Mine is usually at 3 but 4 shows up often since it's been hot. I've only had 5 bars a couple times, bet never 6 that I noticed.
Then again, I haven't done much stop-and-go riding so it could quite possibly be normal.
 

·
Sportbike.net junkie
Joined
·
1,242 Posts
I had 5 at the most. I was stuck in traffic on a 95 degree day cause of an accident.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Stuck in traffic, that is when the white lines get my rubber on them. Just pass with care and don't take out anybodys mirror by accident. Oh 3 bars so far mid 80's outside the highest temp I have ridden in. Has anybody heard or seen that cooling fan come on in that kind of heat? I don't think mine has ever come on but then again I don't sit in traffic for long. I'm always heading for the front row at the reds and passing on the yellows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
2 - 3 bars most here in Europe.
Once got stuck in traffic with a lot of stop and go (street to narrow due to construction works + heavy highway patrol activity to watch the shoulder). That day i got 5 bars and the fan came on to cool things down...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
My cooling fan starts right away when the 4th bar lits up, dropping it back to 3 very quickly. It takes 75-80F and very slow city traffic to get to 4th bar.

Its really quiet so you probably won't hear it, you have to actually look at it. Next time when you see 4 bars, take a look and it should be spinning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
charlieoneseven said:
Stuck in traffic, that is when the white lines get my rubber on them. Just pass with care and don't take out anybodys mirror by accident. Oh 3 bars so far mid 80's outside the highest temp I have ridden in. Has anybody heard or seen that cooling fan come on in that kind of heat? I don't think mine has ever come on but then again I don't sit in traffic for long. I'm always heading for the front row at the reds and passing on the yellows.
Wish lane splitting was legal in Texas - sitting in traffic in 90-100+ degree heat is not fun. Sometimes I take to the shoulders but I hate to do it - risks a ticket and gives riders a negative image (I guess most of my riding risks a ticket though :) ). Is it legal anywhere besides California?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Mine in Upstate NY is alway on the 2nd or 3rd, never seen the 4th bar. It has been a pretty cool summer though.

Robb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
The highest mine has hit is 4 bars that was setting in traffic in branson for anybody that has been there they know what it is like, other than that mine usually stays at 2 or 3 bars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome - Thanks all! Oh and my fan is on alot - kicks in at 4bars, you can tell b/c you'll feel it blowing on you at a stop, which is the norm down here (ugh!). If you're like me - that might be easier than looking for it, b/c I don't like getting off my bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
The temp sensor is located in the left rear corner of the airbox near the top of it. It seems to be very accurate to ambient as long as you are moving. When stopped the heat from the engine makes it read high.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
MikeC said:
Wish lane splitting was legal in Texas - sitting in traffic in 90-100+ degree heat is not fun. Sometimes I take to the shoulders but I hate to do it - risks a ticket and gives riders a negative image (I guess most of my riding risks a ticket though :) ). Is it legal anywhere besides California?
I don't think so... and evin in Cali its really only acceptable in the big cities; if you're splitting out in a smaller town you're going to get some angry looks.

Anyway, I've noticed that after riding, if I leave my key in the On position the cooling fan will come on after a few seconds. Is it best to let it run to cool for a bit before turning the ignition off or does it not really matter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
I've hit 5 bars sitting in in afternoon traffic as well but never 6. When I'm moving it stays at a constant 3 pretty much.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top