Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had to move to one of those cities which one would you take for better quality of life.

Still seeking a smaller city to live in that has wide open spaces, year round sun, Chinese groceries stores and 4 seasons. I have narrowed it down to those 2.

I am Chinese and dont mind all that Mormon stuff, it bounces off me since I am an atheist. I dont even know what a Later day Saint is, sounds like a pee wee football team.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been to ABQ as a tourist twice and really like that region. I just enjoy driving up and down I-25 for the scenery, never seen that kind of open space and sense of freedom in the Puget Sound region where I live.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
You can get some real nice open areas in Wyoming, Montana, Eastern WA, Eastern Oregon, etc, but the weather gets pretty cold in the winter.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
If you had to move to one of those cities which one would you take for better quality of life.

Still seeking a smaller city to live in that has wide open spaces, year round sun, Chinese groceries stores and 4 seasons. I have narrowed it down to those 2.

I am Chinese and don't mind all that Mormon stuff, it bounces off me since I am an atheist. I don't even know what a Later day Saint is, sounds like a pee wee football team.
What kind of Lifestyle are you looking for? Albuquerque is entirely different than SLC. SLC sounds small but it really isn't. It's actually a combined number of cities that stretch for over a 50-80 miles north and south along where I15 and I80 intersect. If you start on the farthest south end and go all the way to the farthest northern city, you are in city limits for over a 100 miles of nonstop onramps/offramps/ jackass drivers
PROS:
If you are an outdoor enthusiast there is too much to do in one lifetime here. Countless places to Hike,Bike,Camp, ATV, and a large number of places to boat.
They have been working very hard to revitalize downtown and are doing a good job.
We have a pretty good transit system with buses and Light-rail.
We have several different terrains to explore. Desert,Grasslands,Woodlands, marshlands.
We have a large manufacturing base and are drawing in alot of tech companies as well.
The cost of living is lower than alot of other states.
Alot of places to get lost on a motorcycle!
We have some amazing State and National PArks.
We are having alot of decent wages Jobs in the east part of the state with the oil and Natural gas boom going on.

CONS:We have some of the worst air pollution in the nation.
We have a low cost of living but we also have a lower wage scale. In some cases, substancially so. Especially in the Tech Fields
Our freeway system blows ass. They use this shitty ass paint on the freeway and when the roads get wet the lines disappear. They don't put the reflectors down because the plows rip them back off in the winter time.
We have have some of the worst Drivers in the nation and some of the worst attitudes to match.
People are so judgmental and snotty here.
The weather is extremely unpredictable here. It can be blue sky, snow, blue sky, rain, blue sky in a single day.
I don't know about strictly Chinese Markets, We have a section where there is quite a few Oriental businesses, but to be honest I don't know if they are or if any are Chinese. There seems to be ALOT of Vietnamese places and a few Korean.
There is a Huge open pit mine on the city's west side and several huge Gravel pits to the North,east and south of the city. When it rains here, your cars is dirtier after so. It's disgusting.
The winter inversion gets so bad that they advise Children, Elderly, and people with breathing difficulties to stay inside.
Alot of times during the winter you can go weeks without seeing blue sky due to the pollution. Looks like God took a Giant peanut butter knife and smeared it across the sky.

Reactions: 05_Concours

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply,

I guess I am very tired of big city life and want a little bit small town with everything a city has to offer. I use to live in Hong Kong and NYC and now in the middle of Seattle so its times to be somewhere else and slow down for a change. By what you have wrote maybe ABQ is more for me.

I like big endless vistas and Mongolian Blue Skies. You know the horizons never end. I really liked how ABQ and how you can be downtown and in the middle of completely wide open spaces in minutes with hardly any traffic compared to Seattle which makes me feel claustophic. We are surrounded by traffic, water, and too many people.

I've already think I want to live right between Santa Fe and ABQ. I just thought of SLC because its image is pretty good. Most people say its nice looking and great variety. I have already bought a ticket to see SLC in August.

·
Pro Bike Theft Victim
1,088 Posts
Honestly.. The greater Denver area is incredible.. ...

Weather is AWESOME!!!
Lots of outdoor stuff to do..
AMAZING canyon roads !!!

Dont want to promote that too much as we already have to many here! :)

BUT if i did have to choose I guess it would be SLC over NM because of the mountians

·
Registered
178 Posts
i had a choice to move to SLC, PHX or ABQ after living in Seattle

If i had to do it all over again, i wouldnt move to SLC

but i will say, some of the roads here within 15 miles are pretty fantastic

·
Registered
863 Posts
ABQ has some bad drivers, but that's any city. I'm between ABQ and santa fe and there are nice roads to ride. I am close to the Jemez Mountains and there are a lot of out door stuff to do.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Yeah if you want a small town feel SLC isnt it. We just dont have skyscrapers! BUT as our city goes north and south, you dont have to too far east or west to get away from it. There are some really fun roads here

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I've been to ABQ twice and liked it, seemed like a cool place and driving through NM had great scenery. I'm assuming the weather is better there too.
I preferred PHX where I lived for 2 years though, but that is a huge city.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah if you want a small town feel SLC isnt it. We just dont have skyscrapers! BUT as our city goes north and south, you dont have to too far east or west to get away from it. There are some really fun roads here

I am being ripped from everything I know, I think they call it "Relocated", by my company to SLC. I don't have much of a choice as to where I go. I really liked your Pros/Cons post as well. Thanks! My big worry (about riding) is that here in PA I have a few dozen combinations of roads to get me the 40 miles to or from work. The west just doesn't have the infrastructure of roads that the east does. I am looking forward to finding some nice canyon roads, though. I'll have to look you up when I get there. :)

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts

Weather is AWESOME!!!
AMAZING canyon roads !!!

BUT if i did have to choose I guess it would be SLC over NM because of the mountians
Also, it's legal.

:treehug

SLC would be winning for me thanks to the apparently abundant asian population. <3 me some pho

·
Registered
601 Posts

Weather is AWESOME!!!
AMAZING canyon roads !!!

I'll be living in Capital hill come July/August! I'm on the fence about shipping my bike out

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Which is the more grand site. The Arches or Monument Valley. Now I am thinking of skipping SLC to just fly to PHX than drive to Monument Valley. Or should I stick with SLC and see the Arches.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've been to ABQ twice and liked it, seemed like a cool place and driving through NM had great scenery. I'm assuming the weather is better there too.
I preferred PHX where I lived for 2 years though, but that is a huge city.

I just enjoy driving in NM period. The main attraction is right outside the car window. Going from ABQ to Las Cruces was a scenic marvel, maybe its not much to the locals but where I live its just so different.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Which is the more grand site. The Arches or Monument Valley. Now I am thinking of skipping SLC to just fly to PHX than drive to Monument Valley. Or should I stick with SLC and see the Arches.
Dude. Ride. Seriously. There is more cool stuff between Seattle and ABQ than you can see in three lifetimes. It'll be awesome!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts