Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to add an alarm to my bike for those times when the bike is parked out of my immediate sight and not locked in a garage. I live in South Florida, so theft is always a concern. I already have a big ass Kryptonite chain and lock, and a separate disc lock, but I want an alarm with 2 way pager so I can be notified of any potential situation.

The Gorilla alarm is about $100 cheaper than the Scorprio system I was looking at, but I liked the ability to have a perimeter sensor on the Scorpio, but not sure that is really worth the difference in cost. My condo does not allow motorcycles on property but there is a large park with parking spaces directly behind my unit about 40 yards. View is partially obstructed by trees, but I have some structures to lock chain to, and can respond to an alarm in a matter of seconds. The bike is locked overnight in a storage unit, but this park would be used on weekends when I'm out riding and don't want to take the bike back to storage unit. I'm thinking of throwing a cover on it when parked there anyway, to protect from sun and rain, so that may make the perimeter sensor obsolete anyway.

Anyway, that's my situation, looking for anyone that has used either or both and why you do or don't like it. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
So I'm looking to add an alarm to my bike for those times when the bike is parked out of my immediate sight and not locked in a garage. I live in South Florida, so theft is always a concern. I already have a big ass Kryptonite chain and lock, and a separate disc lock, but I want an alarm with 2 way pager so I can be notified of any potential situation.

The Gorilla alarm is about $100 cheaper than the Scorprio system I was looking at, but I liked the ability to have a perimeter sensor on the Scorpio, but not sure that is really worth the difference in cost. My condo does not allow motorcycles on property but there is a large park with parking spaces directly behind my unit about 40 yards. View is partially obstructed by trees, but I have some structures to lock chain to, and can respond to an alarm in a matter of seconds. The bike is locked overnight in a storage unit, but this park would be used on weekends when I'm out riding and don't want to take the bike back to storage unit. I'm thinking of throwing a cover on it when parked there anyway, to protect from sun and rain, so that may make the perimeter sensor obsolete anyway.

Anyway, that's my situation, looking for anyone that has used either or both and why you do or don't like it. Thanks!
Haven't used a gorilla alarm yet, but I love my Scorpio, well, would love it if my remote hadn't died. Granted that was after 2 years of abuse and commuting daily. The perimeter sensor is sensitive, but it works well. The 2 way alarm is awesome and I've always gotten a signal through walls as close as say 500 feet away, but never really tested the distance on it. And it's loud as hell. Not sure if the gorilla comes with them, but you can get an optional wiring harness for the Scorpio too so you don't have to hack into the wiring.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I have the Scorpio i900. I started to get a lot of false alarms so I stopped using it. The perimeter sensor is very sensitive, even on the lowest setting. So squirrels and cats that like to jump onto my seat were causing the alarm to go off all the time. Also, the shock/tilt sensor was a bit buggy sometimes. It would go off for no reason occasionally. But my bike was parked in the backyard, with a lock and a fence, so for me it wasn't really worth it to keep the alarm on and deal with the false alarms. But if I was parking on the street then I would keep the alarm on. Also to avoid pissing off your neighbors you can activate the silent alert, which still sends a page to the remote to tell you when the alarm goes off, but it doesn't beep the horn. This works well at night when you are home and your bike is right outside, so that a false alarm won't wake up the whole neighborhood but if someone messes with your bike your remote will start beeping and vibrating next to your bed and you can wake up and scare them off.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
I had the gorilla. Was just as good as the Scorpio, and had just as many features. Both are good. The perimeter sensor was so sensitive (at highest setting) that thunder caused it to go off. I preferred setting 3 (1 being lowest).

I still have the remote, but the alarm went with the bike when I totalled it. :(

Either way you go, don't expect either of them to get their advertised "1/2 mile" range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts