Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aright here's the deal, i saw the thread down a ways, but wanted some direct feedback on MY problem, so yeah i saw the thread, but i need to know what to do here.

so i used aircraft stripper today, and regardless what most say, it doesn't take only an hour or 2. enough said about that issue. and it WILL eat through the middle rougher section.

well, i have some black finish still throughout the lip mainly on the rear rim and it is NOT coming off. we basically put the stripper on, left it for about 10-15 min., hosed/brushed loose/bubbled finish off, rinsed, air dried, then repeated about 5-6 times.

looks like someone took black paint and sorta splashed it onto the rear rim. it is NOT coming off with the aircraft, so what should i do about this? is there something stronger or a different sequence i should be doing? maybe heat the surface more, then hit it with the aircraft? ugh, i dunno, it looks like shit right now though.

i'll post some pics up tomorrow.

also, it's very hard to get around the very outside of the rim, closest to the tire. pain in the fuckin ass. :bitchslap

advice please!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
make sure that when you brush it on, you brush in one direction. if you brush back and forth it affects the chemical reaction. you need to letr it sit for 30-40 mins also. send me a pic and i'll let you know what to do. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
nik_z said:
aright here's the deal, i saw the thread down a ways, but wanted some direct feedback on MY problem, so yeah i saw the thread, but i need to know what to do here.

so i used aircraft stripper today, and regardless what most say, it doesn't take only an hour or 2. enough said about that issue. and it WILL eat through the middle rougher section.

well, i have some black finish still throughout the lip mainly on the rear rim and it is NOT coming off. we basically put the stripper on, left it for about 10-15 min., hosed/brushed loose/bubbled finish off, rinsed, air dried, then repeated about 5-6 times.

looks like someone took black paint and sorta splashed it onto the rear rim. it is NOT coming off with the aircraft, so what should i do about this? is there something stronger or a different sequence i should be doing? maybe heat the surface more, then hit it with the aircraft? ugh, i dunno, it looks like shit right now though.

i'll post some pics up tomorrow.

also, it's very hard to get around the very outside of the rim, closest to the tire. pain in the fuckin ass. :bitchslap

advice please!!

If the wheels were powder coated the aircraft stripper may not work. Powder coating will require the wheel to be sand/bead blasted.

Best of luck

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jammin_Johnny said:
If the wheels were powder coated the aircraft stripper may not work. Powder coating will require the wheel to be sand/bead blasted.

Best of luck
this wouldn't make sense though as about 90-95% of the rear wheel finish came off where i wanted it to, and 98% of the front.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
srootster said:
make sure that when you brush it on, you brush in one direction. if you brush back and forth it affects the chemical reaction. you need to letr it sit for 30-40 mins also. send me a pic and i'll let you know what to do. [email protected]
thanx bud, i'll send ya some pix tonight as soon as i can. that should work cuz i'll have time to work on it tomorrow night...also, someone has suggested steel wool so right now this is my only idea, along with just trying the stripper again brushing it on smoothly only in one direction. i'll send ya over some pix tonight though, a certain section of the rear is quite weird, hopefully a coincidence. idon't remember ever getting lube on it or anything, and dunno if that could even cause this effect anyway. ttyl.

·
Registered
177 Posts
use the wool as the last resort. don't create more work for yourself. i'll chat with ya as soon as you send the pics, simon.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Are you going to be repainting over them? or are you trying to polish them? If just going to be repainting, just sand it down till it is smooth, and go on painting. I've done it plenty of times on car wheels, and it just needs a good place to stick, doesnt have to be to the bare metal.

·
Yes I'm a FIB
2,139 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. Total time it took me to strip front and rear wheels was about 13 hours and yes there was just a little bit left right on the edge/lip of rim just like you described. I got some of it off by reapplying the paint stripper a few times but not all of it came off. I got sick of dealing with itso I just left it that way. Unless you look really close at the rims you can't really see it. Good luck!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
So what's the verdict? I'd like to strip and polish mine this winter, and needto know what to look out for. Where do you get aircraft stripper?

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
Winter? Make sure you do it in a warm garage where the temp is above 80. The hotter the better.

You also have to let it sit for more than 20 minutes, after which you hose down and then sand (or steel wool) off with laquer thinner.

Aircraft stripper is a t your local Auto parts store.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts