Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
I've heard about this a LOT.... It hasn't affected your midrange has you? I'm afraid to do mods to it because I'm not good with carbs...and changing the airbox too much will create flat spots in the powerband. But hell, if it helps and doesn't give problems.....I might just do that one today.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I was kind of hesitant myself but figured I could glue a disk of plastic or something on the hole if it F'd up my bike. I don't really notice it affecting my midrange although there is a sometimes a lag between 4.5 and 6 depending on the weather.
But in the lower range it was kind of jerky before I did this, I have much better throttle control after the hole was drilled. I will recommend this with no problem on an otherwise stock bike. Took 10 minutes.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
I just did mine over, but a tad differently. First off, the two rubber airhorns on the right side. The upper one, I left the 90 degree bend in, to better direct the air in the right direction. Right past the bend, I trimmed the excess off. The other airhorn, the straight one....I trimmed all the way down, to the edge against the airbox. But I left the outer spouts in, because they act as velocity stacks.

Then on the left side, I pulled the airbox cover off and instead of drilling the hole in the upper back, I drilled it in the beefy middle-section of it, giving the air a more straight-shot to the carburetor.

My review: Sounds AWESOME....has a growl, but not loud. A tuned growl..if I had to say it reminded me of ANY bike, it would be a Ducati. No joke.

Performance... I lost low-end. It's very SMOOTH down low, but there is a little less pull. Mid-range feels slightly stronger, and the top end feels very nice. Pulls to redline quickly, and has no problem staying up high.

The best part is, even with this level of modification...the bike has no flat spots, or mid-range gaps as I've experienced before. I'm extremely happy.

Who knows to say whether my way or the way pictured is better, but...I know I'm happy with what I've done! I included an illustration here of exactly what I did.

Attachments

·
Registered
981 Posts
been meaning to do this mod.

so basically i just cut the 90^ bend off the stock inlet and matched the hole size on the other side?

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Well keep in mind this isnt what most people are doing, just what Im doing. The upper rear inlet...keep the angle so that it POINTS to the carbs....but after that, cut it off. So, cut it after the 90 degree...just leave that angle in there. The other one is already aiming appropriately, basically...so just cut it off all the way. And yeah, I just cut to match on the opposite side...about an inch diameter.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ok, well here comes an (easy) question. How do you remove the +/- battery cables? Do you just pull the cables from the little metal connector, or do you have to unscrew the bolt and remove the entire metal "tab". Obviously, mechinical inclination is a bit lacking in my genes , so keep it simple :). Thanks guys,
Nick

·
Registered
981 Posts
The Red Raider said:
Ok, well here comes an (easy) question. How do you remove the +/- battery cables? Do you just pull the cables from the little metal connector, or do you have to unscrew the bolt and remove the entire metal "tab". Obviously, mechinical inclination is a bit lacking in my genes , so keep it simple :). Thanks guys,
Nick
just unscrew the screw and they come right off.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Ok, as far as power goes... I noticed nothing in low or midrange, besides an awesome engine tone now. Basically the only power increases I notice are at radical speeds...such as over 100 mph. At high speeds, it gets more air so it pulls a bit stronger. But as for the rest of the rpm range at lower speeds, it's pretty much the same, just sounds better. I'm sure the increase in air is canceled out by the carbs not being set for it...since I keep hearing these Keihin CVK's are really sensitive.

It took me....maybe 30 minutes? It's not hard. You just gotta take both of the side fairings off...then take the airbox sides off, and you can trim the airhorns right in the box, then just yank the other one over and if you're proficient with a dremel you can do the cutout right quick....just use a fine bit. I didn't have one left, so I used a coarse one...and damn near trashed the box. It ate through that plastic like you wouldn't believe. :lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts