Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pics

Do you have any picturse to show the mod on this forum? Would like to see before and after pics of air box. And if this mod is worth doing, and not having to worry about in the long run. Thanks!
-Philosopher :fiddy

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't have much info other than the original post from the other site. I tried to aquire the pictures from it. Let see if I can get it to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yikes, that looks seriously ghetto. A far cry from a lot of the nice and finished mods we've seen posted here. At least in the pictures, this looks like a serious hack 'n saw job.

-Q

·
Registered
230 Posts
KevinTheCake said:
This mod makes me forsee trouble in the rain.
i guess tat item wat we have been looking at is the remover of the airbox air intake area. it been cut out leaving a big opening to let more air in as well as other things.Any bright ideas? :rolleyes

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
qualdoth said:
Yikes, that looks seriously ghetto. A far cry from a lot of the nice and finished mods we've seen posted here. At least in the pictures, this looks like a serious hack 'n saw job.

-Q
To be fair, that's the part that gets thrown away. The idea is to get rid of the snorkel and open up the front half of the box.

For all the hype in the original post about power gains, it doesn't seem like the bike dyno'd any higher than some people here have seen. Maybe it was all low-end gains.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
I know that guy....a customer. He's a certified yamaha technician and has a couple of highly modified V-Max drag bikes as well. The fizzer is his wifes. Seeing that he's the one who did this makes me feel better about it. Now I'm thinking hard about it.

He also has the techical information from yamaha for bringing the FZ6 engine up to R6 specs....a bunch of work to it too from what he told me.

Great find Young!! Thanks!

·
Registered
504 Posts
fraggle1 said:
To be fair, that's the part that gets thrown away. The idea is to get rid of the snorkel and open up the front half of the box.

For all the hype in the original post about power gains, it doesn't seem like the bike dyno'd any higher than some people here have seen. Maybe it was all low-end gains.
Ah, so that part with all the holes gets thrown away? I read the thread but I somehow missed that. I thought those holes were supposed to allow more air in, and that I thought was super ghetto :)

My bad. Thanks for clarifying =)

-Q

·
Registered
858 Posts
A lot of the guys on another forum I belong to for my 4-Runner have done what we call a deckplate mod which is to cut a 4"-6" hole into the airbox and user a deckplate from a marine supplier to cover the hole if ever needed and also it looks nice and clean after the install, I personally have not looked at how large our (FZ6) air box is or how hard it is to get out to do this mod but figured I toss this info out there in case someone want to give it a try.
http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/jackson_deckplate/deckplate.htm

·
Yeah it's fast...
913 Posts
I did something similar...I cut out around the original snorkel and then added two holes to the sides. When I get my new tank on I will take pics of the airbox.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you mod the airbox either this way or fabbing a ram-air, do you have to get a power commander? I figure with more air entering your box, will that change your A/F ratio?

·
Go-faster
77 Posts
awesome 1 said:
so,anyone else tried n tested already??
I cut around the snorkel. Did a fairly neat job of it. I have since noticed the top end has dropped off a little, from 156 to about 146, at zero grade. Recently, too, I have noticed a much throatier tone from the exhaust on hard excelerations. If I could go back in time, knowing what I know now, I would not do this mod. I'm thinking of trying to patch things up, or maybe get a new airbox, then invest in a K&N air filter.:phatyo

·
Registered
702 Posts
Bill W said:
I cut around the snorkel. Did a fairly neat job of it. I have since noticed the top end has dropped off a little, from 156 to about 146, at zero grade. Recently, too, I have noticed a much throatier tone from the exhaust on hard excelerations. If I could go back in time, knowing what I know now, I would not do this mod. I'm thinking of trying to patch things up, or maybe get a new airbox, then invest in a K&N air filter.:phatyo

I was going to ask (yes on the BMC or K&N filter) if you dont sync you TB's :bitchslap as the tech said after cutting the airbox, how much does it throw off this mod?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did this a few months ago, not bad, just personal preferences. I used a cutting wheel and cut along the bottom edge and where the filter is. It leaves its rigidness and opens to the whole filter. I also bought a new cover just incase I didn't like it, less than $15.

·
Go-faster
77 Posts
My air-box mod seems to be the least radical I've seen. I only cut a large V into the front, and did the rest by cutting out the snorkel from the inside; that is I cut out the back of the snorkel. I did this with a pocket knife. Maybe it doesn't look as clean as I thought, now that I've taken it out again to take pictures. As I was removing the air-box for pictures, I gave each TB 1/8 turn open. I anxious to put things back together and see if my top end comes back.

Attachments

·
Go-faster
77 Posts
kissajew86 said:
did yo notice a diffrence?
did your mpg drop or raise?
did you see any increase in hp? if so where in the power band?
i was looking at mine thinking of doing that...
Here's a better look at the air-box on the bike. I cleaned it up a little more before reinstalling. I honestly haven't paid enough attention to the gas mileage. Today after reinstalling the air-box, I opened each TB about an 1/8 of a turn. The throttle response is soggy at low rpms. The fix for that is to shift later--keep the rpms up. My top end seems to be good again, 155-156. I could probably squeeze a few more out over another mile or two. The bike is totally stock aside from opening up the air-box.:fiddy

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts