Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that there are a lot of pepole that fly here or know a lot about aviation. I have a question for you. What would I need to do to be an air traffic controller? Is there a specific school? What kind of money do these guys make? Any help would be great. thanks.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
you do have to go to school to be FAA certified to work on the ground control crew such as air traffic controller, they make pretty decent $$ (65-100+k/yr)...this should explain it better scroll down through it it has anwsers for all the questions you asked and sone you didnt. :D

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos108.htm

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
guy i know is an ATC, he got training via military. very very stressful job, must be able to keep track of alot og things at 1 time, good $, very stressful

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
best bet to even get INTO the field... Join the Navy as an AC (Air Traffic Controller)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well this is something I have thought very hard about as of late, due to the economic outlook of the airlines. Being a civilian the only way to make it is to attend one of 13 universities or colleges the FAA has approved. After you graduate that program and take a test, you are put on a list of poeple who qualify to go to the FAA's ATC school. You may be on that list for a while. You are only contacted when a position opens in the geographical region you chose on the application. You can not turn down a position or you are taken off the list. The oldest you can be to start working as an ATC'er is 30, so leave enough time between your initial training. Here are a few links.

Good luck, its an awsome career. I just don't think I could take being in a dark room in front of a computer screen all day. Thats why I'm working on a Masters in Fluid Dynamics.

Qualifications: http://www.faa.gov/careers/employment/atc-quals.htm
AT-CTI Program: http://www.faa.gov/careers/employment/at-cti.htm
Approved Schools: http://www.faa.gov/careers/employment/AT-CTI-MAP.htm
FAA ATC Homepage: http://www.faa.gov/careers/employment/atc.htm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yep, if you are intersted in ATC...join the military.

The Marines has a good ATC program...and I'm sure the Air Force and Navy are similar. They have to get all the FAA quals also.

They get good bonuses for staying in also...like a multiple of 5...maybe $25,000.

That is what it was in '02 before I got out.

ATC is part of "Airfield Services" which my MOS was under also...you get to know some of those dudes.

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
Don't join the Air Force if you want ATC, getting that job is like winning the lottery, unless you want to get your ass kicked as a combat controller, not worth it at all if all you want to be is an ATC...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was supposed to be a ATC in the Navy and i lost the school because of the flight physical. You have to be in top shape and have no mental issues. They will do a flight physical on you. Your not always in a dark room. I was able to take a tour of our tower and I learned a lot. This was almost 6 years ago. One other thing they are gonna be in high demand, but it is a very stressful job. Especially if you work at one of these extremely busy airports. Goodluck!!!

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
A good friend of mine I've known my entire life is a ATC. He didnt join the military or any bs. He simply went to a training course and has been working as a ATC in a small Oregon airport for like 20 years. He has never spent a moment of his life in the service.
I'll ask him for the details as to how he got in. I know it wasn't that hard. You also don't have to be in peak physical shape, he weighs at least 250#'s and is 6 foot tall.
I do know he has to sit in the cockpit of a plane and observe whats going on at least 6 times a year. This is how I get to see him a few times a year.
He makes pretty decent $$$ always has brand new KTM dirtbikes for him and his son, wife has new car every year and he has a supercharged ford Lightining truck all paid for in ca$h...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been an ATC for a few years (In europe.. but the planes are the same :laughing ). It's a very stressfull job, especially since I work in lower airspace, approach and departure control, but it's not always like in the movies where you have 30 planes at a time. The traffic comes in waves, so you can relax just a bit between high traffic.

We don't work in a dark room, our screens (Barco 2'000x2'000, 30K$ a piece) are high definition and not orange anymore.. And you make good money. But as said before, it's stressfull, you have to be able to really relax during your freetime, which you get a lot of.

I don't know how selection and formation works in the US, but I went to university, and then applied for the selection. They test if you can work and think under stress, if you can do several tasks at the same time (still under stress), etc.. And then the school is a lot of learning and practice.. I think about 50% of students fail at one stage or another.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts