Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size air hose and air hose fitting do you use? I currently use 3/8 hose and I/M 1/4 fittings, i heard that if you use the 3/8 t fittings you will gain a lot of power, I am using basic air tools. I was wondering by useing my set up if I was choking the power, and I thought I would ask before buying all new fittings. Thanks

P.S I have a175 psi max craftsmen compressor I use my 1/2 drive craftsmen 600 psi max impact the most.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3/8 ID T fittings have the 1/4 NPT thread which is the standard air hose thread. How much of a diffrence is it?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone else?

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
From my sears 5 hp portable 30 gallon tanked comp I run 3/4 inch pvc flex pipe to a pipeline attached to my garage wall. This is 2 inch pvc that runs all around the garage at aprox 8 feet up with drops where I need air. The drops have a tee where I use a reducing fitting to a regulator with a water trap that isnt even needed because the drops allow any moisture to bypass the tee and collect in the length of pipe below which has a drain fitting. Its a bit overkill but I do alot of paint work and it never gives me a problem with water.

The big diameter pipe also keeps air speed very slow so water has a difficult time making it to the outlets. It also effectively increases the size of the tank. Which makes its time before the pump turns on longer too.

PVC pipe is rated at 360psi burst and the comp operates at 125psi I used pvc because I was in the pool biz and got it for free... Steel would be nice but unessesary. Ive used this setup for over 10 years with zero problems.

I use standard 3/8 inch hose.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
Jim is right the larger Dia will add volume but no extra PSI therefore adding no more power. 1/4 or 3/8 its all reletive if you operate @ a fixed PSI. 125PSI is 125PSI in 1/4 or 3/8" hose. When you fill up a larger mass such as 5" pipe with 125PSI this is what gives it the "BOOM" factor if it pops vs the "pssssssssss" of a normal air line.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What CFM am I looking for? what is a good range? also krazy what size fittings do you use?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts