Sport Bikes banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Military brat, not sure where I'm from. I'm 60 and have been riding since I was 13. My uncle slapped me on the back of his Moto Guzi Falcon, which he acquired as war booty in North Africa in '43. Then I went to Adak Alaska. Military Base with mostly gravel roads. Bought a used Suzuki 80 for less then 100$ and hid it from my parents in an abandoned barracks. Rode courier for Speedy Messanger while going to school. Polished my survival skills in DC traffic.
I was talked into hanging up my helmet after getting dinged on my kan-of-tuna. That was in '08. I might be here under a false flag. My ride is an '05 FZ6, which I don't consider a sports bike. I will use it as a mini-tourer, commuter bike.
Anyway, the only way I have to keep up with current trends in motorcycling is through a forum such as this. All my old riding buddies are dead. Oak trees, concrete abutments and the odd Buick with an old woman driving did them in.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Welcome to sbn bud. Well it's a fact.... Your comming to the forum with plenty of knowledge so if you have any words of wisdom for a young buck such as myself I'm all ears.

Glad to have you stop by. Experience is something we can never get enough of.

Ride safe brother.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most of the MSF stuff is good. I train riders locally. I start them off on a uni-cycle. Since they get sent to me by their parents, whom I've know for decades, they either get with the program or I tell daddy to just shoot them in the head and save some money. Not to mention the time and effort of the EMTs.
What kills people on a motorcycle is STUPID. Kids can get away with stupid in most things in life but not motorcycles. A big part of the attraction of motorcycles for me is the focus required. Yes, you can drone down the slab, thinking about your firlfriend or her younger sister but you better keep one eye on your 6. When an intersection comes up, stop daydreaming and get your head back into the situation.
You will have to learn for yourself just what stupid is for you. Watch and listen to your riding mates. Life is too short to make every mistake yourself, so you need to learn from other's mistakes. Never ride with anyone crazyier then you are.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Most of the MSF stuff is good. I train riders locally. I start them off on a uni-cycle. Since they get sent to me by their parents, whom I've know for decades, they either get with the program or I tell daddy to just shoot them in the head and save some money. Not to mention the time and effort of the EMTs.
What kills people on a motorcycle is STUPID. Kids can get away with stupid in most things in life but not motorcycles. A big part of the attraction of motorcycles for me is the focus required. Yes, you can drone down the slab, thinking about your firlfriend or her younger sister but you better keep one eye on your 6. When an intersection comes up, stop daydreaming and get your head back into the situation.
You will have to learn for yourself just what stupid is for you. Watch and listen to your riding mates. Life is too short to make every mistake yourself, so you need to learn from other's mistakes. Never ride with anyone crazyier then you are.
Can one of the mods pls make this the sbn code of ethics?

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I've caught myself daydreaming lately. Commuting for a year, complacency is sneaking in.

Sometimes I have to force myself out of my head and back into the game.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Military brat, not sure where I'm from. I'm 60 and have been riding since I was 13. My uncle slapped me on the back of his Moto Guzi Falcon, which he acquired as war booty in North Africa in '43. Then I went to Adak Alaska. Military Base with mostly gravel roads. Bought a used Suzuki 80 for less then 100$ and hid it from my parents in an abandoned barracks. Rode courier for Speedy Messanger while going to school. Polished my survival skills in DC traffic.
I was talked into hanging up my helmet after getting dinged on my kan-of-tuna. That was in '08. I might be here under a false flag. My ride is an '05 FZ6, which I don't consider a sports bike. I will use it as a mini-tourer, commuter bike.
Anyway, the only way I have to keep up with current trends in motorcycling is through a forum such as this. All my old riding buddies are dead. Oak trees, concrete abutments and the odd Buick with an old woman driving did them in.
Military brat and Bartlett...just down the street from my old high school haunts in Millington/Munford. You must be a Navy brat?!?! Next time I come home we will have to take a ride up through T-county, I know so nice roads there :)

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Military brat and Bartlett...just down the street from my old high school haunts in Millington/Munford. You must be a Navy brat?!?! Next time I come home we will have to take a ride up through T-county, I know so nice roads there :)
Works for me. I'm heading to Shilo for the April 6th anniversary. You just have to remember that I'm an old guy and my tarmac ripping days are over.:sad

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This guy is awesome. Welcome!
Nah. Used to be. Today I'm more this:

Mowgli featuring Amber Jolene - Back In The Day.

No hair, no teeth, bad breath and stinky feet. The joys of age.
:nanaparty

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Works for me. I'm heading to Shilo for the April 6th anniversary. You just have to remember that I'm an old guy and my tarmac ripping days are over.:sad
I don't rip through corners anymore, I leisurely ride through them :) Will definitely give you a holler when I make it home

1 - 12 of 12 Posts