Sport Bikes banner

Agony at Arroyo

1K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  faster sissy 
#1 ·
I finally got to turn some laps on the 7fiddy today! Hunter came over because he needed some testing time on his new bike too. Saturday I put on the new brake lines and did a few laps to make sure everything was straight..which it was. Saturday morning, I still had to change out tires and brake pads.....hmm......I seem to have sold all my front sllicks....including the one that was on MY bike last weekend :eek: So, all I have is one that was damaged by packing tape during shipping.......I have a choice....use it and forget about getting credit for it, taking a chance because it may either fail or cause chatter/vibration. So I throw it on :phatyo along with a PR5 that's already got 3 days on it.... :squid

I fill it up with gas (remember, I did ride a few laps on Saturday) and get all my gear on, go to start the bike and I notice it's leaking fuel....out the side of the tank where someone else had repaired it and I hadn't fixed it yet...argg. I pull off my helmet and gloves...stare at the tank and think about fixing it....but I really need to get some testing in on the bike, and if I spend half the day fixing the tank I'm screwed with the late start.

I remember I have Phillbie's spare tank in the shed...so I drain my tank into a can and proceed to move my fuel pump and cap onto his tank, get dressed again and head out. Hmm...seems she doesn't want to pull above 9k......just like October! One lap, back into the pits and pull the tank off. It was sealed so I'm wondering why it must have had so much crap in it to clog the pump or injectors. Last time it was crap in the injectors, so I look at those first, pretty clean but I cleaned them anyways, put the tank back on and head out...problem still there, back to the pits and remove the tank again. Prop up the tank, pull the fuel pump....hmm....lots O' Crap in there. Damn Phil, why'd ya leave me a tank with crap in it :bitchslap So, I get ready to empty the tank back into my can...wait! Why's my gas can full of shit? Oh no, it must have came out of MY tank that I drained into the can earlier! Rinse out the tank a few times, take the fuel pump apart and clean it again (screen was nasty), pump some more fuel (first tank cost me $20 in Sonoco) and get the gear back on... Hey, what's this...this bike is fast!

I get a few laps to scrub the front tire and bead the brakes, back to the pits to let the brakes cool. Finally, it's time to get down to some real testing. Hunter and I hook up and do a few laps, not blazing laps, but definitely faster than I've gone since November. The bike seems to be steering kinda slow, so I pull in and raise the rear ride height. Hunter does the same. I head back out to warm the tires (waiting on the new order of warmers) get half a lap in and the farking shift linkage breaks.....again (this is the 3rd time now...crap dynojet linkage). So, back to the pits......look everywhere in the trailer and find nada. Hmm.....what do I have around here that I can steal the linkage from? First I look at Troy's bike.......nope too long. The Kawi 650 is next..damn, doesn't use linkage. Hey, wait.....I have that beautiful 85 Suzuki GS1150E.....hey, that rusty steel bit just might be long enough! Yep.....it works! :2devil

Back on track again, another session and everything goes well finally. Lap times are definitely dropping, mental note, fix that damn curb before next weekend! Day ended with a session that should be good enough to run somewhere in the top 3 next weekend. Hopefully I'll have time to get it painted, but first I need a tank! Hey Phil, wanna sell your spare tank?

See less See more
#3 ·
glad it all worked out - but you might wanna start charging Murphy (murphy's law) some rent cause he seems to spend alot of time at your place....:eek:nfloor
so what kinda times were ya running mid 10's to 11's or quicker...i'm guessing i'm pretty close...how'd hunter look - he was looking pretty good/smooth last month when i was out there...

#4 ·
badgixxer said:
.how'd hunter look - he was looking pretty good last month when i was out there...
Jesus Clay. I know the military has the "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy but you just said alot. :bitchslap :lao

#5 ·
:eek:nfloor :urowned :eek:nfloor

that's fucking hilarious

#6 ·
We didn't have a lap timer, so I don't know the actual times, but once we both got the ride heights sorted I had a hard time pulling away from Hunter and had to push as hard as I usually do in a race. (something I don't do on trackdays) I'd guess we were in the 10's, maybe low 11's cause we both had shagged rear tires. Honestly, I'm impressed with Hunter's riding after today, I never had to ride hard to pull away from him before....ever!

And I think this steel linkage from the GS is going to stay on until I get a stock linkage and ditch the dynojet setup. I went back to street pattern today so I don't have to think about it going between the 650 and the GSXR. (plus I've always liked street pattern better going CW).

#7 ·
good luck gettin your bike running tip top

#8 ·
Sometime Racer said:
We didn't have a lap timer, so I don't know the actual times, but once we both got the ride heights sorted I had a hard time pulling away from Hunter and had to push as hard as I usually do in a race. (something I don't do on trackdays) I'd guess we were in the 10's, maybe low 11's cause we both had shagged rear tires. Honestly, I'm impressed with Hunter's riding after today, I never had to ride hard to pull away from him before....ever!

And I think this steel linkage from the GS is going to stay on until I get a stock linkage and ditch the dynojet setup. I went back to street pattern today so I don't have to think about it going between the 650 and the GSXR. (plus I've always liked street pattern better going CW).
yep i think Hunter is just gonna get faster too the more he rides the new bike and gets used to it....
i like going CW better myself since i was going CCW that when i my flipper - i was faster CW before the wreck anyways - damn i miss riding... :fiddy

#11 ·
Yeah, the travel time's a bitch.

I am so looking forward to this weekend. I'll tell you guys at the track what kind of week I'm having at work this week - when it's over.

No public guesses, please.

#12 ·
faster sissy said:
it must suck to travel that far to get to the track and have problems :bitchslap :banana
Yeah, no kidding! It took me at least 1.5 minutes to get from my house to the pits yesterday. Then, I had to go back and get my truck because I needed the air compressor! With the cost of gas nowadays, cost me a fortune to do four round trips :banana

#13 ·
Sometime Racer said:
Yeah, no kidding! It took me at least 1.5 minutes to get from my house to the pits yesterday. Then, I had to go back and get my truck because I needed the air compressor! With the cost of gas nowadays, cost me a fortune to do four round trips :banana

:upyours :bitchslap :rolleyes

on people who own race tracks and live there :pisson

#14 ·
Sometime Racer said:
:eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor

#15 ·
Philbie said:
And those ride heights were what exactly?
Lets see, I took what I had in November (which was different than what I had in October) and turned the shock 2 or 3 turns to lengthen it. I didn't really count, I was just trying to get a baseline. I thought I had it working pretty good in Nov, but I only did 5 laps.... It's pretty radical right now, prolly more stinkbug than anyone recommends, but as you know this track is tight and I like my bike to turn quick and I don't mind the rear losing a bit of traction, as long as the front holds.

#16 ·
Sometime Racer said:
Lets see, I took what I had in November (which was different than what I had in October) and turned the shock 2 or 3 turns to lengthen it. I didn't really count, I was just trying to get a baseline. I thought I had it working pretty good in Nov, but I only did 5 laps.... It's pretty radical right now, prolly more stinkbug than anyone recommends, but as you know this track is tight and I like my bike to turn quick and I don't mind the rear losing a bit of traction, as long as the front holds.
i think you're giving away to much info... :fiddy

#17 ·
Well, the #'s I have now are 13mm above the triple and 338 eye-to-eye. It turns very well but, as you know, the medium slick wasn't hooking up. Hopefully the change to the PR5 will fix that.

I think your old #'s were 16mm and 335 ete.

#18 ·
Philbie said:
Well, the #'s I have now are 13mm above the triple and 338 eye-to-eye. It turns very well but, as you know, the medium slick wasn't hooking up. Hopefully the change to the PR5 will fix that.

I think your old #'s were 16mm and 335 ete.
told ya so.... :beer

#21 ·
Roger,
Is that 85 GS 1150 E Yours, or someone else's ? I had a mint 85 red,and black one back in 98. I loved that bike. It wasn't super fast, but it had the cool factor for sure. That,and I never saw another one while I had mine. I had a fairing off of an ES that I was going to put on,but never did.
:fiddy

#22 ·
It's mine, it's not mint, more like it's spent the past ten years sitting outside! Someone also rattle can'd it black and put bullet stickers on it. It's purpose was to build a drag bike, but I haven't really got the time or money to even start. I'm pretty sure it's an ES, got the fairing.

#24 ·
you can come back (and please do) but leave the oil IN the bike this time :eek:nfloor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.