Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
In other news, drowning yourself has negative effects on your health.

More at 11.

·
Rider
101 Posts
"If you’re over 40 and planning to hop on a motorcycle, take care. Compared with younger riders, the odds of being seriously injured are high."

They say 40 is old? I didn't start riding until I was 52 and that was 28 years and 400k miles ago. I felt like I was at my riding prime around 70, I refer to that time as the mountain years. Now 80 is getting a little old and I'd agree riders over 80 should be a bit more careful and maybe keep it down to the speed limit. But over 40......:lol

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
That's awesome gsjack! Good for you, you're only as old as you feel. Maybe I have no reason to complain about a little stiffness after an hour of riding at 27 years old.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
"If you’re over 40 and planning to hop on a motorcycle, take care. Compared with younger riders, the odds of being seriously injured are high."

They say 40 is old? I didn't start riding until I was 52 and that was 28 years and 400k miles ago. I felt like I was at my riding prime around 70, I refer to that time as the mountain years. Now 80 is getting a little old and I'd agree riders over 80 should be a bit more careful and maybe keep it down to the speed limit. But over 40......:lol
True inspiration, sir. Stay well and keep enjoying the ride. :)

-Christian

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
That's awesome gsjack! Good for you, you're only as old as you feel. Maybe I have no reason to complain about a little stiffness after an hour of riding at 27 years old.
Agreed. Makes me feel really silly for mentally acknowledging a little soreness after a 15-20 min track session when this guy is nearly three times my age still rocking it on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Stupid article.

Section 1:
Ratio of young riders to old riders tips towards old riders. Magically the ratio of accidents leans that way too... - Did they expect something different?
Section 2:
Trauma and impacts cause more damage to senior citizens than youngins. - Duh, you never hear about college kids being put in a nursing home when they fall and break their hip.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts

Someone making me look like a whipper snapper. Many thanks for the inspiration!

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
article said:
Another theory is that older riders tend to ride b***** bikes, “which may be more likely to roll or turn over,” Ms. Jackson said.
:rolleyes People really ought to learn something about what they are claiming to study. Sheesh.

PhilB

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I should keep riding my RX-115, 100kg with a full tank, unpossible to roll or tun over!

My XJR1300 on the other hand... Gotta keep an eye on that bitch, sometimes she rolls over at night and in the morning find her upside down!

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
:rolleyes People really ought to learn something about what they are claiming to study. Sheesh.

PhilB
For awhile it was clear that the uptick in crashes was because older guys would buy a liter cruiser or Harley to be fashionable, go out and kill themselves. Alcohol doesn't help any. My guess is it's still the case, since cruiser bikes are still stylish among the brain dead.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
For awhile it was clear that the uptick in crashes was because older guys would buy a liter cruiser or Harley to be fashionable, go out and kill themselves. Alcohol doesn't help any. My guess is it's still the case, since cruiser bikes are still stylish among the brain dead.
B***** bikes may well be a factor. It is the idea that the *reason* b***** bikes may be a factor is that she thinks they "may be more likely to roll or turn over" that shows complete ignorance of the subject.

PhilB

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
B***** bikes may well be a factor. It is the idea that the *reason* b***** bikes may be a factor is that she thinks they "may be more likely to roll or turn over" that shows complete ignorance of the subject.

PhilB
B***** bikes means more acceleration to be certain, thus things happen faster. Not a good thing for the novitiate, especially an older one.

While larger bikes can do more damage if they fall on you, that particular comment did indeed seem a bit uninformed.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
The higher accident/fatality rate of older people is not because the motorcycles they are riding are inherently dangerous, it's because they are noobs getting big bikes.

Most of the bike those older guys are getting are sport tourers, adventure bikes and cruisers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
oic0 is right. The article misrepresents the findings of the study.

The study doesn't say that older riders have a higher rate of accidents - in fact, the increase in older riders' accidents is consistent with their increasing proportion of total riders.

It said that older riders are more likely to suffer injuries in a crash - not that they're more likely to crash. This is hardly news to those of us who have a week of aches and pains after a couple hours of basketball. Our bodies get more brittle and less resilient with age.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
B***** bikes means more acceleration to be certain, thus things happen faster. Not a good thing for the novitiate, especially an older one.
lol...wut?

B***** bikes tend to accelerate more slowly. You're thinking "higher horsepower" which isn't the same thing as "b*****".

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Speaking of age and alcohol...

2011 motorcycle operator fatalities by age and alcohol level:

Ages 21-30: 248 out of 963 (26%) were at 0.08 BAC or above.
Ages 31-40: 235 out of 764 (31%) were at 0.08 BAC or above.
Ages 41-50: 258 out of 822 (31%) were at 0.08 BAC or above.
Ages 51-60: 180 out of 846 (21%) were at 0.08 BAC or above.
Ages 61+: 47 out of 490 (10%) were at 0.08 BAC or above.

Plotting individual ages on a chart and using a polynomial trendline with an order of "6" shows that age 37.5 is the peak "dead with a BAC of 0.08 or above" age for motorcycle operators.

Edit: Here's the plot...

Interestingly, per IIHS the average age of riders are:
37 for sportbikes (right near the center of the range of those most likely to be drunk)
32 for supersports, so on the low end of the range
46 for cruisers, so on the high end of the range
43 for standards, at the moderately high end
39 for naked sportbikes, also right near the center
50 for sport touring riders
50 for touring riders
48 for scooters

Reactions: drummer92

·
Registered
743 Posts
lol...wut?

B***** bikes tend to accelerate more slowly. You're thinking "higher horsepower" which isn't the same thing as "b*****".
As someone who has learned to drive a cruiser in the last 6 months, here is what I've discovered.
They have a ton of torque and are geared low. Sure they weigh 800lbs, and they won't beat a sport bike, but a lot of the japanese models still have Ferrari level acceleration.
On your sport bike, standard, naked bike, etc... When you go in to the average corner on the street, you usually have a lot of lean angle to spare. If you underestimated the corner, you almost always have more left in reserve. On a cruiser the reserve is MUCH MUCH smaller. I hate to admit it but I went off road on mine the first week I owned it. I cooked it into a decreasing radius corner I had been up a million times before on my supermoto and truck and never thought anything of. Well, I just ran out of lean lol. I over did it and there was no reserve. Hard parts dragging and I'm still heading towards the outside. Luckily since I was at the limit of lean but not the limit of traction I managed to slow down but I still went off road. Got it back under control before going down hill in to trees. Since then I take it a lot easier in the turns on that thing just in case. On that note though, they are surprisingly stable off road lol. Its easier to take down dirt and gravel roads than my supermoto.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You can probably divide older riders into two groups; those who started motorcycling at a young age and have safe riding habits ingrained over the years, and those inexperienced riders who got into it after the mortgage was paid off and have safe 'car' driving habits.
-After middle age our bodies start falling apart (the warranty is off lol), no doubt about it, but we can stay in good heath if we manage it with a moderate lifestyle and some exercise. Me, at 62 I generally ride my sport-bike no more than 8/10 on the street and take into account my reflexes will be slightly slower than in my youth. But I also have the advantage of many years of riding experience to keep me out of trouble.
-And yeah, too many people these days (young and old) are whacked out on alcohol, illegal drugs, and a laundry list of medical prescriptions; a good reason to always ride and drive defensively.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts