Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im currently 17, and want to buy a Suzuki. Don't know which one yet, maybe a gsx-r600 or a gs500f. how old do you have to be before you can get an M class on a liscense. do i have to have a regular c class, and then get the m class, or can i drive the motorcycle without having a c class?

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
you need a permit im not shure the age in texas go with the 500 its a better bike for noobies and take the msf course

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
You can ride without a C class in TX (I was going to get my M1 in texas, but moved out to CA before I ever got around to it).

Get the GS500F. Read around, pretty much only the squids get Gixxers as a first bike. Frankly, if I was a bit less cautious about my first bike, I'd be on a GS500F to start off with. Things are damn gorgeous.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Check your state's dmv requirements. You'll get everyone's guess here (including mine). The rules in most states vary a bit for someone under 18, but usually an M license or permit is "on top of" a car license meaning that you need a car driver's license first. Start here ?
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/dl-8.pdf

Most states also require minors to take a safety course to get an endorsement. Great idea to start with the MSF course.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not sure about the age in Louisiana but I'm pretty sure that you can ride a bike when your are 16. Same as a vehicle. As far as the bike goes, I wouls start off with the 500. When I started on the 600 F2 in '92 they were a lot less powerful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, ill probably just wait until i'm 18, then get the 500. meanwhile ill just drool at evry bike i see pass by.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
get you parents permission and take the www.msf-usa.org class. also call your ins. agent before you get a bike. and get the gs500f

1 - 9 of 9 Posts