Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I went into the motorcycle shop today to take a look at this used bike (GSX650F) and wanted to look at after market exhausts from Yoshi Maru. But then the guy said most of them are illegal and that the store won't install any muffler that is illegal. There were only a few exhausts that were street legal, but he said they are only for track use. I live in CA.

I had no idea there were illegal exhausts banned from public roads. I assumed they were all street legal or else they would not be able to be manufactured. The guy said some people ride with illegal exhausts anyways and it is one of those things where if the police feels like dealing with it or not.

So what's the deal, how do you know when a pipe is too loud to be legal? Are they usually on those street bikes that have that ear piercing screaming sound or the kind that will make you jump if it's turned on? I just want that dark growl note, it doesn't have to be scary loud.

·
Are we not men?
9,017 Posts
There are a couple of manufacturers that are certifying exhausts in CA, but only for limited models. The certification process is fairly expensive, so most aren't bothering.

You can thank Ahnold for signing that POS legislation just before leaving office. Once again, CA has to be difficult, doing their own thing and not enforce what the federal government already had on the books. The AMA even tried to get CA to adopt the SAE standard they helped develop which is very easy to test along the side of the road, should an officer suspect an exhaust is too loud.

Technically, almost all aftermarket exhausts are illegal as they don't have the DOT stamping on the swingarm side ( I think they are stamped underneath for under-tail exhausts) proving they are certified to comply with DOT regulations. Most just say "Not for street use" or "For racing applications only" or something similar. Nobody enforces this because the stamping is usually too hard to find or read along the side of the road.

Reactions: jk750

·
Registered
731 Posts
How about you learn how to ride a bike and own a bike before you keep posting stupid shit about the "biker social life", "aftermarket exhaust", etc etc etc. Everytime I read one of your posts, I think it was written by a 15yr old... then I remember that you are 25, privileged, still living with you parents... and then it all starts to make sense.

A latent weaning period, followed by an Oedipus complex, has created a retardation of the normal growth and socialization process.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Most all states in the USA and provinces (here in Canada) have legal db restriction levels on all vehicles on public roads. Basically a higher performance exhaust must be freer flowing and louder to extract a few extra ponies after a bit of tuning; why they are for 'track' only.
-IMO the cops won't bother you as long as you are not doing wheelies and revving the hell out of your bike down Main Street. Simply keep the revs down until you are well away from urban areas. Around here we have heavily wooded areas with deer and moose; the loud pipes warn the animals well in advance to stay in the woods and not run out on the road. Motorcyclists have been killed hitting deer that suddenly jump from a ditch across the road.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You are referring to California SB435 most likely.

It refers only to motorcycles manufactured on or after Jan 1, 2013. So if you're buying used you're automatically exempted from it.

Check it out from the real source rather than a bunch of Internet heresay:

SB 435 Senate Bill - ENROLLED

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
How about you learn how to ride a bike and own a bike before you keep posting stupid shit about the "biker social life", "aftermarket exhaust", etc etc etc. Everytime I read one of your posts, I think it was written by a 15yr old... then I remember that you are 25, privileged, still living with you parents... and then it all starts to make sense.

A latent weaning period, followed by an Oedipus complex, has created a retardation of the normal growth and socialization process.
He'd have to grow a pair first...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Keep your stories straight. Thats the key to lying and making friends. If you need a bike, I have two for sale though: 2009 Desmosdici by Ducati, and a 2010 Yamaha YZR-m1. PM if you are interested JetFalcon.

·
Registered
743 Posts
any non stock exhaust is illegal on any vehicle in my state. Not enforced though unless you piss em off or run open headers. Dont think ive ever seen a harley with stock.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Around here we have heavily wooded areas with deer and moose; the loud pipes warn the animals well in advance to stay in the woods and not run out on the road. Motorcyclists have been killed hitting deer that suddenly jump from a ditch across the road.
another Loud Pipes Saves Lives member. You're kidding right? guess the deer are deaf out here in the Hills. i have yet to have a deer run away or STAY in the woods just because they heard me. I've had deer in the ditch that jumped towards me as i went past. Close enough to smack em out of the air. yep, loud pipes work great. :facepalm

on a sidenote, cops around here could care less. as long as you behave, they leave you alone. I LOVE South Dakota.

there are a few stock Harleys, but can be hard to find. over the next few weeks, you might find more, but you will also find MANY more that are not stock. Dang Rally

·
Registered
156 Posts
As a general rule of thumb, everything is illegal in the state of California, it is a liberal cess pool. The best course of action would to move to a different state where it doesn't suck so much ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
As a general rule of thumb, everything is illegal in the state of California, it is a liberal cess pool. The best course of action would to move to a different state where it doesn't suck so much ;)
It may be a liberal cess pool, but it's 1000 times better than Maryland.

Source: I grew up in Maryland

·
Registered
357 Posts
another Loud Pipes Saves Lives member. You're kidding right? guess the deer are deaf out here in the Hills. i have yet to have a deer run away or STAY in the woods just because they heard me. I've had deer in the ditch that jumped towards me as i went past. Close enough to smack em out of the air. yep, loud pipes work great. :facepalm

on a sidenote, cops around here could care less. as long as you behave, they leave you alone. I LOVE South Dakota.

there are a few stock Harleys, but can be hard to find. over the next few weeks, you might find more, but you will also find MANY more that are not stock. Dang Rally
IMO I think loud pipes improve your odds when it comes to animals, of course nothing is absolute. Generally speaking animals will move away from loud noises but are easily spooked if you suddenly sneak up on them; they cannot reckon with the speed of vehicles and usually leap across the road instead of going back into the woods. If I see any movement I don't wait to see what it is, I hit the brakes.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. However they do keep people from tailgating you. Just shift down a gear and when they cant hear their cellphone or radio good, they back off ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
IMO I think loud pipes improve your odds when it comes to animals, of course nothing is absolute. Generally speaking animals will move away from loud noises but are easily spooked if you suddenly sneak up on them; they cannot reckon with the speed of vehicles and usually leap across the road instead of going back into the woods. If I see any movement I don't wait to see what it is, I hit the brakes.
When a pine needle falls in a forest the eagle sees it the deer hears it and the bear smells it. Just because the deer hears you coming doesn't mean shit. I can't count the number of times in my car I've honked rev'd the engine and shouted at deer who very clearly knew I was there and yet they acted with complete indifference. Deer aren't genetically coded to handle vehicles.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Of course they are! It's in their deer nature to stand in the middle of the road in front of vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. However they do keep people from tailgating you. Just shift down a gear and when they cant hear their cellphone or radio good, they back off ;)
This made me laugh. Even if I don't agree with the "loud pipes save lives" theory .. I just find them annoying as hell, but this made me laugh. Thank you :D

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
If the exhaust does not have a DOT stamp on it, it is illegal, regardless of who makes it or what you are told or read about it. If you go through Gainesville, Fl., on your way to Bike Week in Daytona Beach, don't be surprised if you get pulled over and ticketed for your after market exhaust. Noise has nothing to do with it, it is the DOT stamp they are looking for

·
Registered
848 Posts
you let people tailgate you? must be in traffic. never happens when riding outside of town.

animals could care less about noise. if you have a race pipe, that kinda kills the sneaking up on the deer idea. and Elk? forget it, they walk out regardless what you ride. if anything, if they got babies, they'll make jam out of you for annoying them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts