Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw in an article the other day that there might be a problem burning up titanium valves on the new GIXERS if you add on an aftermarket exhaust. Has anyone heard anything about this? And if this is true, is it because the increase of HP is too much for the valves or what? It doesn't really make sense to me b/c titanium is suppose to be much stronger anyway. :fiddy

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I heard a few stories about aftermarket exhaust burning through the plastics but not the valves. There was a thread in this forum not too long ago. I'll see if I can find the link.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Do you really think the Factory (Suzuki) would use Ti valves if they thought aftermarket exhaust would damage them? They know people are going to hotrodding the engines. I wouldn't worry about it..

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
ZXLNT said:
Do you really think the Factory (Suzuki) would use Ti valves if they thought aftermarket exhaust would damage them? They know people are going to hotrodding the engines. I wouldn't worry about it..
+1 :beer :fiddy

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you add a pipe and don't adjust the mixture and the engine ends up burning way lean, I could see this happening.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
^Exactly. It's not the ti valves, nor the pipe. If it ever happens at all, it's because of running way too lean.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jswledhed said:
If you add a pipe and don't adjust the mixture and the engine ends up burning way lean, I could see this happening.
Yeah that would make sense. Thanks for the input guys. I think that I am going to keep the stock pipe on for a while though on my bike. It looks great, and it keeps growing on me. :beer

·
Registered
25 Posts
This whole thing sounds like an urban myth to me. How "way lean" is the fuel mix going to get on a fuel injected engine, and what "can" is capable of producing such significantly higher air flow that the engine will get outside the injection range of the computer? Be careful, I think the sky is falling.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How "way lean" is the fuel mix going to get on a fuel injected engine, and what "can" is capable of producing such significantly higher air flow that the engine will get outside the injection range of the computer?
unlike cars, FI sys. on bikes are still relatively primitive and do not adapt to changing a/f ratios when parts are changed which is why they need to be remapped or a PC needs to be added to "trick" the ECU to increase fuel delivery.

FWIW, any engine will overheat and die if it's running under lean conditions.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
The point about open-loop systems is valid, but I seriously doubt a full system is going to start burning valves. I'll go so far as to say it won't.

This is either an urban myth, as suggested above, or an excuse because Suzuki's got a design problem. But since we haven't heard from anyone who roached a top end yet, I'm guessing the former.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts