Sport Bikes banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
OR maybe they didn't want to have to build up the chassis to fit a cumminings in it.

I knew guys in New Mexico that would go get a new cummings 1 ton every other year (Ranchers, tax write off) and then take it striaight to the shop to have it braced up so the frame didn't crack behind the mounts or at the steering mounts.

I doubt the big ones are going anywhere, for smaller duty, there simply isn't a need.

As it is those 6L they are putting in the Dodges are about the smallest I could find on their website.
Never even heard of frame mounts cracking in a dodge 1 ton. christ the entire frame is boxed front to back.
your buddies were doing things with their trucks that oil patch boys don't manage with deck trucks if they were cracking mounts/frames. Please don't confuse abuse with poor build quality.

also, you forgot the ".7" after the "6". please don't confuse a cummins with the disaster that was the 6.0L/6.4L International that got wedged into Ford's for a few years. bad, bad mills those were.

Also, Kaza:
the 6.5L in chev halftons in the 90's weighed in at around 685 pounds, I thought. chev ran a "heavy half" style front end and they sold many a truck. I see no reason why dodge shouldn't, from a weight perspective, be able to do the same. well, other than the fact that a modern halfton truck is built like a car with a big trunk... *grumble*.
anyway, didn't know VM was supplying Chryco at all, ever. I'll have to educate myself a bit in that regard.

6L? when has Dodge ever had one in a truck. Ford has and they sucked. Ford got their act together with the new diesel.
that is still to be proven. I haven't read any major publications, but have heard a couple of grumblings from guys in North Battleford, SK (little shit town to you guys, it's like the start of the oil patch in Saskatchewan) about the "Scorpion" 6.7L taking out con rods.
but it's quite possible it's a relatively isolated thing.

Tony:
I actually doubt chev would use the same mill entirely. They might get VM to supply them with another, but even that, for advertizing reasons, would be a headache.
also, after the 5.9L CR was phased out, and the 6.7L was brought in, I didn't really want one. I'd take a 5.9 over a 6.7 any day of the week.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
Never even heard of frame mounts cracking in a dodge 1 ton. christ the entire frame is boxed front to back.
your buddies were doing things with their trucks that oil patch boys don't manage with deck trucks if they were cracking mounts/frames. Please don't confuse abuse with poor build quality.
dodge diesel frame crack - Google Search

^^ Its not just me, I've seen a number of them, I've also seen guys with brand new trucks putting them in the shop to have it braced up. Dodge advertises the full-box constuction on the 3/4 and 1 ton, it also makes the frame very ridgid which makes hit crack. Just like the guys that think that the F-150 Raptor can actually take the pounding from jumping around stock. They are cracking the frames on them, quickly.

Again, not oil patch, ranchers. So take a truck up and down ranch roads and back and forth across cow pastures in a high-desert/low mountains for a couple years.

REALLY fucking hard on equipment, every oil patch I've ever seen actually had roads, ranchers aren't allowed to improve leased BLM land, so its straight rough and tumble, overland road or no road......and then haul around 5th wheel trailers stuffed to the gills with cow when it isn't on the ranch.

So its not a matter of build quality, its more of just how the truck is designed.

also, you forgot the ".7" after the "6". please don't confuse a cummins with the disaster that was the 6.0L/6.4L International that got wedged into Ford's for a few years. bad, bad mills those were.
Fair enough, 6 liter and dodge would infer that I was talking about the 6.7 liter Cummings.

Matters little to me.

I don't drive long enough frequently enough to justify a diesel, for what I need my truck for a gasser is more than sufficient. A half ton is actually more truck than I need, but little trucks all strike me as cheap.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Invoice on this engine will probably be about $4,000 (~$4,600 MSRP) in addition to the cost of the truck, so this can make sense for those who want okay fuel economy while still being able to haul things.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Again, not oil patch, ranchers. So take a truck up and down ranch roads and back and forth across cow pastures in a high-desert/low mountains for a couple years.
well then, I cannae imagine any fully boxed chevrolet doing any better.
in that case, the only option is to go to the open C channel ford, with all kinds of frame flex for those applications.

then again, if you're buying a 1 ton diesel and then expecting it to take the pounding of a trophy truck, well, I might just call that abuse.

but hell, what the fuck do I know?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts