Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I gave up a tacoma, altima, and c250 ago on waiting for the ford ranger to evolve to something modern. I still hear nonsense about a return of a f100. Lux ky rest of the world had them for years while we srill had the originals being repackaged and sold new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm happy as a pig in shit about that new Ram. WOOOOOOOT. been hearing for years and now it's coming out!!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm thinking if it sells well, we'll see Ford, Chevy, GMC and maybe, just maybe a Hilux/Tacoma diesel in the states in the coming years. That said, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a Ram 1500 diesel as soon as they are priced reasonably (I'm thinking year-one, deals will be hard to get).

Reading up on the VM Motori 3.0 diesel, it sounds like a solid motor.

A few years ago, I saw two fairly new diesel Hilux's. I was hoping that they were there because Toyota was thinking about bringing them state-side. A couple of years later, no such luck...

Here's a pic of the Hilux...

Much better than the last light duty diesel I remember...

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
Very cool.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
why would anyone buy a diesel that small and aren't hauling heavy shit (1/2 ton truck)? the fuel is 50 cents higher and they get the same kind of mileage than a gas engine can these days especially in trucks.
especially now with the exhaust fluid shit you have to buy also. which dodge uses in their current trucks

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
Why would someone buy an F250 just to drive around and commute in? Why would someone buy a supersport just to ride around town on? Why would someone wear race leathers just to commute?

Need is a stupid thing to base non-essential purchases on in the real world.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
why would anyone buy a diesel that small and aren't hauling heavy shit (1/2 ton truck)? the fuel is 50 cents higher and they get the same kind of mileage than a gas engine can these days especially in trucks.
especially now with the exhaust fluid shit you have to buy also. which dodge uses in their current trucks
The same engines in Euro Cherokees are getting 30 mpg in Europe meeting the new emissions standards. That means the Ram should get 25 mpg give or take in US gallons. My Tacoma's getting 13.7 with current winter blend of gas and 14.9 during the summer. I'd pay $.50/gallon extra for 10+ mile per gallon.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
Most of the guys I know with diesel get better in town mileage than I do, and these are 3/4 or 1 tons.

I need a flat highway and a tailwind to get the same mileage highway.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I imagine it will be roughly equivalent to a Ford Ecoboost. Same torque, less horsepower, but should get better mileage.

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
For me it makes more sense engines like ecoboost...diesel is pretty expensive and unless it get some real good mpg number i don't see the reason why make smaller engines. I've driven the f-150 ecoboost and it is pretty good for medium to light loads.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Honestly, I expected cummins to get the 4bt to 180hp, meet the stupid as fuck emissions regs, and throw it into the 1500 ram eons ago.

for a time, dodge will have the market cornered, just like chevy did with the 6.2 and 6.5L diesels (the only one(s), from the big 3, which were light enough to make it into a halfton at the time).

however,
not a cummins?

Something is afoot. . . because there is no way Dodge is just ditching Cummins. Jeep using something not Cummins wouldn't be a big deal. that's whatever. but Dodge sells HD trucks because, well, they say Cummins on em, and have for 3 decades.

Anyway, not surpsing they are finally puttin a diesel into the half ton.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
Something is afoot. . . because there is no way Dodge is just ditching Cummins. Jeep using something not Cummins wouldn't be a big deal. that's whatever. but Dodge sells HD trucks because, well, they say Cummins on em, and have for 3 decades.

Anyway, not surpsing they are finally puttin a diesel into the half ton.
OR maybe they didn't want to have to build up the chassis to fit a cumminings in it.

I knew guys in New Mexico that would go get a new cummings 1 ton every other year (Ranchers, tax write off) and then take it striaight to the shop to have it braced up so the frame didn't crack behind the mounts or at the steering mounts.

I doubt the big ones are going anywhere, for smaller duty, there simply isn't a need.

As it is those 6L they are putting in the Dodges are about the smallest I could find on their website.

·
Registered
848 Posts
OR maybe they didn't want to have to build up the chassis to fit a cumminings in it.

I knew guys in New Mexico that would go get a new cummings 1 ton every other year (Ranchers, tax write off) and then take it striaight to the shop to have it braced up so the frame didn't crack behind the mounts or at the steering mounts.

I doubt the big ones are going anywhere, for smaller duty, there simply isn't a need.

As it is those 6L they are putting in the Dodges are about the smallest I could find on their website.
6L? when has Dodge ever had one in a truck. Ford has and they sucked. Ford got their act together with the new diesel.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The reason they would never use a ISB4.5 is because of weight. A 4.5 Cummins is about 695 lbs dry. The 3.0L V6 is 507lbs wet w/ accessories. The ISB is used for powering buses and big trucks and is built like a tank. It is way overkill for a 1/2 ton pickup. Also the Motori would be much easier to package than the ISB. For the planned usage I think the Motori is a much better fit than the Cummins. And quite possibly Cummins wasn't willing to develop a brand new engine just for this application so Chrysler went elsewhere.

Besides, VM Motori has been supplying engines to Chrysler for almost as long as Cummins has. I highly doubt the 6.7 is going anywhere.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The reason they would never use a ISB4.5 is because of weight. A 4.5 Cummins is about 695 lbs dry. The 3.0L V6 is 507lbs wet w/ accessories. The ISB is used for powering buses and big trucks and is built like a tank. It is way overkill for a 1/2 ton pickup. Also the Motori would be much easier to package than the ISB. For the planned usage I think the Motori is a much better fit than the Cummins. And quite possibly Cummins wasn't willing to develop a brand new engine just for this application so Chrysler went elsewhere.

Besides, VM Motori has been supplying engines to Chrysler for almost as long as Cummins has. I highly doubt the 6.7 is going anywhere.
It's definitely not a replacement for the Cummins, no where near it.

My guess is Chrysler went with the VM Motori motor because Fiat owns about 2/3 of Chrysler and about 1/2 of VM Motori. Latest info that I could find, I'd bet money that GM will end up using the same motor in light duty trucks as well, since GM owns the other half.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
Fuck Cummins as a company. I'd rather walk than ride in a vehicle with a Cummins engine.

Now that my leg has healed enough after what happened at Cummins to make walking an option, anyhow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts