Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I complete the MSF course then pass it, what happens next? I go to the DMV and they edit my license? So does it mean I have my motorcycle license? I'm from Florida. I tried loooking for this information online, but couldn't find it. Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
bring your MSF certificate to the DMV and they will put the motorcycle endorsement on your license. If it is close to your renewal for your license, you can renew your license at the same time too. Not sure how much the cost is. maybe $15-25? for a reissued license.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, then whats't he "M1" that I hear people talk about? AFter the endorsement, I don't need to take any other tests do I?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Dunno. M1 might be another state/country.

FL you just get the license endorsement and you're done. It's a PITA though.. takes close to 2 hours since our DMV is tiny and not staffed well enough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dunno. M1 might be another state/country.

FL you just get the license endorsement and you're done. It's a PITA though.. takes close to 2 hours since our DMV is tiny and not staffed well enough.
Oh yeah, a real PITA.. Now they make you grab like 4 documents just to prove you are who you are.. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
169 Posts
i don't think you need to be tested by dmv if you already passed msf...but it is good to have a motorcycle if you plan to ride...:)

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
In Wisco I just took the slip to the DMV, they printed me out a new license that included the M endorsement.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Google is your friend

Florida Motorcycle License

Starting on July 1, 2008 the State of Florida requires that new Motorcyclists (regardless of age) must take and pass the Basic Rider Course through the Florida Rider Training Program before they get a motorcycle only license or can have the Motorcycle Endorsement added to their drivers license.

When you have successfully completed the Basic Rider Course the sponsor will submit the results to the DMV electronically.

There are two types of motorcycle drivers licenses in Florida. You must have one of the following if you are going to operate a two or three wheel motorcycle that has an engine over 50 cc.

Motorcycle Endorsement
If you already have a Florida drivers license then you can get a motorcycle endorsement on the drivers license you hold. To obtain your motorcycle endorsement you must show proof that you have completed the Florida Rider Program.

Motorcycle Only License
To get a Motorcycle Only license you must be at least 16 years old and have held a learners permit for at least a year with no traffic convictions. If you are over 18 you are not required to have held a learners permit. You must pass the standard class E operators license test that all drivers take to get a drivers license and complete the Basic Riders Course..

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
After I complete the MSF course then pass it, what happens next? I go to the DMV and they edit my license? So does it mean I have my motorcycle license? I'm from Florida. I tried loooking for this information online, but couldn't find it. Thanks.
Take your MSF card and the required ID paperwork to the DMV. They will issue you a new license with "Motorcycle Also" or something like that written on it. In fact, the card itself isn't required any more. It's all done by computer. I'd bring it though, just in case.

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
Call the company that you took the MSF course from and ask them.
They can answer all your questions and will have all the 100% ACCURATE information that you need to know.

I'd also like to share a couple things I literally just told a class of MSF graduates just yesterday:

Once you complete the course, you're not automatically a proficient rider. You need to go out and USE the tools you were given and PRACTICE the skills you learned in the class in order to solidify the foundation you started building through the course. It's up to you to continue learning and practicing. ALWAYS seek further rider education throughout the entirety of your riding career.

Also, as much as you think you know and as good as you think you are, there's ALWAYS room for improvement. The more you learn and the more you improve your skills, the better it gets.

Congrats & ejoy!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Take your MSF card and the required ID paperwork to the DMV. They will issue you a new license with "Motorcycle Also" or something like that written on it. In fact, the card itself isn't required any more. It's all done by computer. I'd bring it though, just in case.
The MSF card doesn't do anything now except provide proof to your insurance company that you've completed the course.

The MSF instructor told me to wait at least 48 hours; finish the course on Sunday and go to the DMV on Wednesday. By that time the info is in the DMV's computer system and they issue a new licence.

Silly me also thought I'd only be paying the $7 for the endorsement. Ha. Not quite. You pay that on top of the cost for reissuing / renewing the license and the administrative fees. I renewed, ended up costing $61.

·
Registered
99 Posts
After you've got your endorsement (others have covered that) take MoldBuster's advice and get good gear! Helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, and boots. Then practice practice practice. As others in the forums have said, anyone can ride a motorcycle fast in a straight line, it's everything else that people get into trouble with. Don't be embarrassed to go spend a bunch of time in a parking lot or something away from traffic practice stop and go, braking, turning, swerving, etc.... At some point you'll need to do all of it and you'll be glad for that practice when you do.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Also, in the future, if you ever have to get your license replaced(change of address, renewal, etc), make sure they put the M on your new one BEFORE you leave the facility. I've heard thats a real PIA to get straightened out after the fact. I think my MSF instructor even mentioned it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yep, the cost to get your license renewed is ridiculous now, but at least we don't have state inspections, yet.

You don't need to go to a dmv either. Any tax collectors office can issue drivers licenses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
bring your MSF certificate to the DMV and they will put the motorcycle endorsement on your license. If it is close to your renewal for your license, you can renew your license at the same time too. Not sure how much the cost is. maybe $15-25? for a reissued license.
Hey, you think I can ride with learners permit and msf certificate until I get my endorsement on my license, I literally booked an appointment 😅 and it’s for next week

1 - 20 of 20 Posts