Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
That's factory, yo!
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well ladies and gents, the streak is over.

Yesterday, at the BHF Trackday, I was working traffic when I followed a rider into turn 1, leaving about 15 feet, planning to square up the corner and drive up the right of him. The guy in front of me hit his rearset on the apex curb, and he promptly lowsided. I avoided his bike, and his body, however he was rotating a bit, and I ended up clipping his foot with my front.

I thought 10 -15 feet was a safe distance to avoid something like this (it seemed to be in Intermediate group), but it’s amazing how fast that gap closes when one rider is rolling on the gas, and another is on the ground decelerating!

I am fine, as is my gear (which worked great, since I’m not the least bit sore today). The other guy had either a badly sprained or broken ankle (hadn’t ahd it x-rayed when I spoke with him). I feel bad for the guy – I was basically committed to a line, and in retrospect I don’t feel there was anything I could have done to avoid his foot - except increase my following distance.

Anyway – it was the ‘new’ bike that got crashed. At least the left side is still pretty! Thanks to Mikey and Tanya, who worked with me until 11:00 last night – the bike should be repaired for this weekend (in fact I think it’s mechanically sound now). THANK YOU!

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
I heard about this accident but I am glad I missed it. Sorry to hear about your bike bro. I saw you in line at Chow but didnt have a chance to come say Hi.

The guy you hit was a friend of a co workers. I guess he has a fracture of sorts and has to wear a cast for 6 weeks.

I on the other hand got booted from Intermediate and must run advanced the next time .. cry :( I guess instead of being the passer.. Now its time to get passed. Someone said I was running 17's.. guess its a good thing :) Course I did have a rider coach all day so I was just learning :) whats fun is being in 3rd and 4th gear.. and dont use your breaks the entire session.. talk about being smooth :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK,pretty amazing streak actually.Well,ya got it out the way....wierd,it's kinda a relief in a way,at least it was for me.

·
Motorcycles are sexy!
826 Posts
Well ladies and gents, the streak is over.

Anyway – it was the ‘new’ bike that got crashed. At least the left side is still pretty! Thanks to Mikey and Tanya, who worked with me until 11:00 last night – the bike should be repaired for this weekend (in fact I think it’s mechanically sound now). THANK YOU!
I am glad it was relatively minor. It sucks that the day was over so soon, as I was looking forward to a little on track tutelage, as well as spectating your new ride from a few corners. As it turns out, I only saw you in the carousel during the session you crashed. I didn't see you come around, and MattG said you must have pulled in. I started to head back to the pit to get ready for my next session, and I heard them announce a pickup in 1. I scooted over to check it out, just in case, and was disheartened (as well as elated) to see you riding the bike back towards the pits.

I spent 2 nights working on her, trying to make her look beautiful for her debut race weekend, and then you go and throw her on the ground... :bitchslap Just make sure any and all pics are taken on left side... :twofinger

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Ewf. Sucks to hear about that. Glad you and your loved one are OK, though.

·
Chilli makes you faster!!
1,335 Posts
Glad to hear you did manage to get the bike back in shape for the weekend. Sorry to hear the dude's gonna be in a cast for 6 weeks though.

·
That's factory, yo!
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup - thanks to Mikey, Malik, and Tanya - the bike is ready and shoul be raced this weekend. I was left to fret over tire choice last night (which is a good position to be in, really). Thank you for your help! The bike looks great!

And thank you all for your offers to lend a hand, your support and kind words!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Yup - thanks to Mikey, Malik, and Tanya - the bike is ready and shoul be raced this weekend. I was left to fret over tire choice last night
did you recheck that tire?

·
Keeping WI HOT since 1998
2,917 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok Todd. Go get 'em this weekend.

Cheers! :beer

·
All new kind of FAST!!
286 Posts
I was happy to see you faired rather well. Sorry about the bike though... at least you are still racing this weekend... hoping to get down there and watch you win!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Well brother, that is still an amazing streak! What’s your secret? How do you maintain your level of discipline / patience?

I ran yesterdays test and tune. Last time out I went down turn 5 at BHF lighting up the rear mid corner, greedy on the throttle. Tire never hooked back up, so not really that bad a crash. So yesterday, start off the day running slow, well slower the usual since I'm not fast haha, ran two sessions and then the third started picking up the pace. Third, I had the tire start stepping out on me in 6 after the road crossing. No crash just made me a little uneasy. Then hit 7 apex a little hot, grinding toe and peg. It was not enough to lift the rear. After that, I backed it down the next three sessions I ran. So was wondering how you’ve gone so long keeping the right mind set. It seems like just one mental error in patience can lead you to a bad mistake.

Thanks,
Jason

P.S. Glad you’re ok and congrats on the remarkable record!!!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
thats an amazing streak. Hey look on the brightside it was just a minor crash and your riding again this weekend. :beer

1 - 20 of 25 Posts