Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone own an aerostitch suit? I have been considering a Roadcrafter and would like some feedback from those of you who have them. Any other alternatives would be great too. Thanks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've got a 'Stich Roadcrafter (one piece) and absolutely love it. I ordered mine with the medium size back pad, but passed on the hip pads for the time being. It took about a month for them to make it as my size wasn't in stock. Their customer service is top-notch and they'll make sure it fits you well. It has pockets ALL OVER and offers some great ventilation- it's pretty warm riding around in it here in Central Florida, but I'm rather fond of sweat versus road rash ;).

I've had mine for about a month and a half and use it on all my out of town rides. I'll be sending it back to have the back ellipse installed (allows more bend in the torso) when I return from my NC trip...it'll be hard missing it for two weeks.

As for water resistance; I've had mine in numerous storms and as far as I can tell, nothing gets through it (once you take into account the sweat that comes with Florida riding).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a one-piece Roadcrafter as well. It's fairly big and bulky, so when I am commuting back and forth to campus (less than 10 mins. each way), I don't wear it, but for trips or "rides" it's awesome. For what it is, I believe there is nothing better. It is sorta like "wearable luggage" with all of the pockets and thoughtful features.

Whether it would hold up to high-speed asphalt abrasion as well as or better than racing leathers is debatable, but the company claims their stuff performs better than leather under crash conditions. Mine was a custom order (for color, not size), and Aerostich was helpful and pleasant to deal with all throughout the process.

Carefully consider what type of riding you do most, and how often you wear your full gear. It's a great product, but if you don't ride that much or don't usually ride very far, you might find better uses for your money.

Summary:

Pros
1) Well-made and durable
2) Comfortable to wear for long periods (YMMV)
3) Great in inclement weather
4) Excellent customer service

Cons
1) Expensive
2) Large/bulky
3) Impossible to "look cool" in it

·
Registered
11 Posts
segue00 said:
And we all know that looking cool is the main thing!:lao
Hey, if you buy a slick looking bike like the FZ6, you MUST have some sense of style. :)

I know some people who seem to base their gear selection primarily on appearances. Dang sportbike kids... hehe... :rolleyes

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone for your feedback. The roadcrafter sounds just like the suit I need. It is expensive, but I suspect surgeries and grafts are more expensive, and more painful. I'm over the looking cool thing (luckily), so now it's just a matter of picking the colors! That hi-viz yellow looks like a killer. Ride safe.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't know that they claim their material is better in crash conditions...I think they say something like given the typical non-racing road crash (statistical data), the Aerostich product holds up just about as well as leather.

The Roadcrafter does seem a bit bulky at first, but I think that impression is based upon the way it feels when you first get into one. It feels better and better as it gets broken in. It's actually quite form fitting considering it's designed specifically for wearing some clothes under it. All I know is that I'm damn comfortable in mine...to hell with what others think about it....it's my skin I'm protecting...not theirs. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Burnspot said:
I don't know that they claim their material is better in crash conditions...I think they say something like given the typical non-racing road crash (statistical data), the Aerostich product holds up just about as well as leather.
I think this deserves some clarification for all those aspiring Aerostich suit-wearers out there. We're both right, in a way -- they claim that nylon isn't as durable, but only because it's thinner and lighter than leather. However, it may reduce injuries due to rolling and tumbling. The trade-off for less protection is that the suit is better in the rain, more breathable, and so forth. The way I see it, the "less durable" suit that feels more comfortable is MUCH more valuable in a crash than those fancy leathers you left at home in the closet because they're too hot.

BTW, I agree with Burnspot about the improvements when the suit is broken in. I wore mine around the house while watching television, doing laundry, etc. for a few days when it was new, and the improvement was noticable. Got funny looks from the gf though.

Here's the exact text from the Aerostich website:

Aerostich said:
Crash and Abrasion Considerations?
Compared to leather of the same weight and thickness, Cordura nylon is a stronger material. But hides are thicker and heavier so they offer greater abrasion resistance. We repair about twenty or thirty Aerostich garments a month. About a third of these were in crashes that produced some abrasion damage. Several common themes have emerged. Though Aerostich suits are not as abrasion resistant as racing leathers, they offer significant and useful protection, especially at typical street speeds.

Aerostich wearers often think of their suit as sacrificial in the same way a car's airbag gets used up by its deployment. These garments are lighter, cooler and easier to use in bad weather (etc...), but less crash-durable than leathers. On average, street riders seem to crash only at infrequent intervals. How gear feels and works during the intervening years of use and the tens of thousands of miles of riding is very important. Most street crashes occur between 20 and 50 mph, not between 50 and 100. For each Roadcrafter suit that was in a 100 mph crash, we get dozens that need smaller repairs because the rider fell down at 35 mph . For these kinds of everyday spills, even the fanciest leathers do not offer protective advantages. We make gear to help you use a motorcycle more and be better protected. It has to be safe, easy to use, and comfortable for everyday riding.

Nylon and Friction?
Although we have not conducted tests comparing the friction coefficients of cordura suits and leathers on various pavement surfaces, we have collected a significant amount of relevant information. We repair many Aerostich suits every year, and most of these are damaged by sliding on all kinds of pavements. Many of the wearers (testers....?) had previous crash experiences with leathers. Post-crash wearers typically comment that their Aerostich was 'slipperier' than their old leathers. The consensus is that Cordura slides a little better and tends to roll and tumble the wearer somewhat less than leather. After studying hundreds of accidents, former Motorcyclist magazine editor and professional accident reconstructionist Gordon Jennings believed that more crash injuries (broken shoulders, etc..) were caused by tumbling than by the incrementally increased chances of hitting something due to sliding farther.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
jcaesar said:
I know a lot of FZ6 members like to get opinions from other fellow FZ6 riders on non-specific stuff (as do I), but if you don't get much reply here then check out Riders Gear sub-forum of SBN.
Mostly they just seek my my wisdom. What a mistake that is!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Seriously considering getting a RoadCrafter

I've been thinking about getting a roadcrafter suit, and even now have approval from my wife, but I'm having trouble pulling the tr***** on it. Mainly, I can't decide if I want the one-piece or two-piece suit. I was just going to go with the one-piece roadcrafter, but I was thinking that it might be nice to wear the pants with some of my other riding jackets.

I now have a decently long commute, 23 miles of beautiful back roads which take me about 30-35 minutes, so I'd probably be wearing it mostly for that. I currently have two sets of leathers (two piece AGV [for sale by the way], one piece JoeRocket) but I only wear those on the track. I have a FirstGear Kenya jacket and a JoeRocket Phoenix Jacket (for summer) but no pants. I was thinking if I got the two piece roadcrafter, I could wear the pants with my other jackets.

Any feedback/ideas on the one piece vs. two piece battle? The one piece is cheaper.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have any of you that own the suit been in weather that was too hot for the suit? I think the only venting on it is two zipper openings under the arms right?

For one or two piece, I would think the two pieces would be worth the money. Imagine being on a long road trip and facing the possibility of having to use a gas station restroom...

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I picked up a two-piece Roadcrafter

I was getting ready to order a two-piece roadcrafter from aerostich, but scanning eBay showed a suit that was the size which aerostitch said I needed (44L).

It was even a decent color (grey with black ballistics) and to top it off, the seller is like 15 minutes from me. Anyways, I won the auction and just got the suit this weekend. I tried it on and it fits perfectly. I gotta get used to the zipper system on the legs though. I keep wanting to zip it down to open it up (like my ski pants) but it's the opposite way.

Anyways, I didn't get to ride in it yet, but I need to order some armor for it, since mine didn't come with any. I was scanning ebay and noticed this stuff:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8013007718

Would that work in the roadcrafter? It appears that the back protector on the roadcrafter needs velcro, so I'll most likely buy the real aerostich version, but it looks like the other pads just stuff into pockets. Any of you other 'stitch owners, do the pads just slide into those pockets, or is there velcro involved there too?

·
FZ6 baby!
297 Posts
Just to balance the posts out some...

Several months ago I was trying to decide if I wanted an Aerostich or a leather suit. I ended up getting a 2-piece custom leather suit that is fully perforated. I think you would be surprised at how much venting the perforations allow on a hot day. I live in Tampa where it can get pretty hot and muggy, and had no problems riding with the perforated leather suit in mid-90F temps.

I don't do track days, but I am hoping to do a couple next year. I do use my bikes as my main source of transport though, average about 25-30k a year. I commute to work all year round, about 70 miles round trip. Much of that on the highway or at "highway speeds". *Any* time I am riding I wear the leather suit.

I don't want to gamble on a crash being below 50mph. Much of my riding is above that. Would prefer a suit that I can be confident in no matter the speed I am going.

Also, there is more to crash protection than abrasion resistance. Impact protection is also very important. Shoulders, Back, Elbows, Forearms, hips, tailbone, knees, shins. Even more importantly, the armor in those areas need to *stay put* in a crash. This requires a fairly snug fit. I just wouldn't feel confident in the Aerostichs ability to hold the armor in place, they appear too loose to me to be able to do the job properly. No worries on that score with a properly fitting leather suit.

A properly fitted high quality leather suit can be very comfortable to ride in. Mine certainly is :) Does not feel bulky in any way while I am riding.

The one downside compared to a 'stich would be water proofness. I carry rain gear to wear over the leathers if needed.

Take another look at a perforated leather suit.

Either way you go, highly suggest you get a 2-piece. Much easier to deal with on a day to day basis than a one piece would be.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Get both...

Hewhois said:
Just to balance the posts out some...

A properly fitted high quality leather suit can be very comfortable to ride in. Mine certainly is :) Does not feel bulky in any way while I am riding.

The one downside compared to a 'stich would be water proofness. I carry rain gear to wear over the leathers if needed.

Either way you go, highly suggest you get a 2-piece. Much easier to deal with on a day to day basis than a one piece would be.
I hate to admit it, but I think that I have a motorcycle gear addiction. I have a set of two piece leathers (AGV), a set of one piece leathers (JR), a summer riding jacket (JR phoenix), a cold weather jacket (FirstGear) and now a two piece AeroStich Roadcrafter (actually the two piece is refered to as a Roadcraft (without the er) on the aerostich site http://www.aerostich.com/pconf.php?productid=17138 ).

Based on actual reports of real-life experiences, I have full confidence that the roadcrafter will protect me if I put the bike down. Would my leathers protect me better? Probably. Would I be able to wear work clothes underneath my leathers? No way. I can barely fit long pants underneath my leathers and they are uncomfortable around the back of the knees.

I've been riding to work a lot, wearing just jeans and one of my jackets. With the Aerostich, I will be more protected and can even ride when the weather isn't so nice. Would I wear my Aerostich on the track? Nope, that's what leathers are for.

·
FZ6 baby!
297 Posts
jrevans said:
I've been riding to work a lot, wearing just jeans and one of my jackets. With the Aerostich, I will be more protected and can even ride when the weather isn't so nice. Would I wear my Aerostich on the track? Nope, that's what leathers are for.
I'm fortunate in that my work place has a good place for me to change clothes in. So, I wear my leathers in to work and change into my work clothes once I am there.

I think all of us have a motorcycle gear/modding addiction, lol. With 2 bikes, and now my IceLed addiction, can't afford an addiction on gear too, hehe. Seriously though, ideally I would own a set of gear for each type of situation. Since I can't do that, or at least don't want to, I chose the one I thought would work best overall, given my personal wants/needs.

For some, the 'stich is it, for others it is leathers. Just wanted to balance the posts out a bit and provide another viewpoint :)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Two piece Roadcrafter update

I thought I'd give an update to this thread. As I stated earlier on this thread, I bought a two piece Roadcrafter last Fall from eBay (local guy, so I picked it up). I bought the TF2 hard armor from Aerostich ( http://www.aerostich.com ) including hip pads and back protector. Ended up spending like $160, but I'm fully padded now. :)

The suit fits fine with the pads installed (I was worried it would be too tight), but I notice that if I wear jeans underneath, they bunch up behind the knees with the pads installed, since there is less space. I've been wearing the suit to work on my 23 mile commute and it's pretty neat.

I had one problem with the suit. The zipper that hooks the pants/jacket together broke (the pull broke). I emailed Aerostich and they mailed (first class USPS) a replacement zipper kit for free. I was impressed with the service and the replacement part works fine.

Lots of pockets and the venting works okay up to the low 80's. The problem that I have now, is that it's getting warmer than that and I'm roasting out there. Am I missing some magical vents in the roadcrafter? I only see the two on the sleeves. I suppose that I could open up the side pocket access zippers on the pants, but that would give me less protection.

I'm tempted to start wearing jeans and my JR phoenix jacket again, but I like the idea of having leg protection. Maybe it's time for me to look for some summer riding pants.

My wife even thinks that I look sexy in the suit, so it's a win-win situation. :banana

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
I do not like the bulky fit of the stich. From owners of the stich, the biggest thing that keeps me from getting one is, they all leak around the zipper in a downpour. That I find unacceptable for the price of the product.

I wear a leather jacket and pants and for rain protection I wear 2-piece rain sit that is 100% waterproof.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts