Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey blokes, wonder what you think of this. My 98 Zx6r looks schmick, its in near new condition. The problem is i ride it every day, got no car. As such, its left alone alot when im at work/ uni. Im paranoid about some dick knockin it over or whatever, im just scared that all that plastic is worth so much money, and it will be so easily damaged.

Then i had some of it off doing the coolant, and thought, why not take all the plastic off and ride it naked? It will attract less attention and i wont have to worry about smashed/scratched plastic. I bought the bike for performance and handling rather than looks, but if it looks good i will be able to resell easier when i go overseas.

There are a few things that bothered me.
1)If i leave the plastic off for too long, maybe it will gradually twist out of shape or whatever and not fit?

2) Upsetting the bike's dynamics?

3) Exposing the guts of the bike unecessesarily?

4)Not really saving anything, and riding only part of my bike around for no good reason. I mean, what are the chances it will fall over when im not around.

The only bloke i know whos a bike mechanic thought i was crazy, why buy a nice bike and take the good shit off? I can see his point but i wonder what you think.

·
Registered
486 Posts
it will mess with the dynamics some, I only know cause I just read an article about the fast all motor 600cc and when the took of the plastic it lost a little on the top speed. also have you looked into getting frame sliders? this would be some protection.

·
Registered
944 Posts
+1 on sliders, I haven't research for the kawi's sliders but a good set should keep everything off the ground in a drop on pavement, except maby mirror, blinker and lever.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Boy are they ugly without fairings. I would assume that you would leave the top fairing on If you ride without it your instruments and wires would be exposed. Plus your headlights stick out really badly.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i just meant the sides because they come off so easily, i wouldnt want to take off all the other shit. Anyway, im going to look into these "frame sliders" once my exams are over. Ive heard of them on this board, but never actually seen or heard of them otherwise. Ill go to the kawa dealership and get bent over...ahem... i mean a quote.

Thanks dudes.

·
Registered
263 Posts
+1 on sliders.

I'd get tired of riding my bike around "naked".

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
streetfighter ninja's look like ass.

I saw a 97 ratbiked, blacked out ninja 6R and it was the ugliest lump of crap I had ever seen. If you want to go naked, get a speed triple or Z1000.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yep, a ZX-6R is going to look like ass without the fairings. Get frame sliders, swingarm sliders and bar-end sliders and you'll be in good shape if the bike falls over. Don't ride around without the fairings, it'll just look stupid.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Kaiser Soze... you want to save money by having a naked bike... simple sell the kawa and buy my 04 FZ6-N :lol ... newer bike, cheap insurance. comes with oggy knobbs. plus it's a yamaha :lao ...
Mate just go down to MCAS in parra or livo thats if your in syd and buy a set of oggys for $130ish...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Its funny to me when accents come across in type.

I'm also of the opinion that you should just go with sliders.

Not much chance of fairings twisting and not fiting later.
Insurance companies have been known to total bikes because of scratched up frames - even if that doesn't happen, it could be harder to sell if a buyer sees it. At least fairings can be repainted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts