Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i'm thinking of taking up a new hobby here soon...can anybody offer me any useful information as what to look for and what to realistically spend? i don't want anything fancy right now, just something basic to learn on so the guitar and amp don't need to be spectacular. and i'd like to learn to play some funky-slap-type bass too...so if that info helps, good. i've seen some bass and amp packages for around 150 or so...

also...what is the difference between 4 - 5 - 6 string bass guitars...are 4's easier to learn than 5's and so on or is that just an uneducated assumption?

thanks for any help.

hahaha, this smilie is fucking hilarious... :spank

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey there. Im a drummer myself, BUT I did play bass for about a year. Never really got into it though. Anyway my brother plays bass.

The best bass guitar in that price range is the SX basses. Do a google search. I had one that looked like a Fender P Bass. Sounded damn close to one and better than the Mexican Fenders at less than half the price. They also have the Jazz Bass style. 4 string is traditional. A little easier to learn. From what I understand a 5 string gives you the ability to go a little lower. Octave wise. Again Im not an expert in the bass department.

I hope this helps. Sorry I dont have more info. Someone will be along shortly though with more info for you.

Oh yeah TRY drumming too. :) I had to.....

·
Registered
649 Posts
I play guitar, but have fooled around with several other instruments including bass. 4 string is much easier to learn than a 5 or 6 string, but likewise, there is much more that can be played on a 5 or 6 string. You can get just as funky with a 6 string bass as a 6 string guitar.

I hope you have friends that play too? A bass is not something you can sit around and play alone like a guitar, it gets real boring (at least to me).

·
Registered
101 Posts
boring? It just depends on how u look at it, i got a bud that got a washburn bass last year and is hella awesome now. He has all of Flea and Les Claypool's cd's and doesnt mind playin by himself all day. It just takes a while to learn and you have to have alot of patience.

I'd recommend you check out www.taborama.com - sign up and go to their message board, do some reading, and post some questions. There are alot of talented people there.

·
Registered
533 Posts
i play guitar and occasionally bass, it's my opinion that ibanez guitars give you the most bang for your buck.

i like their action and their pickups sound good too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
dbo said:
so, i'm thinking of taking up a new hobby here soon...can anybody offer me any useful information as what to look for and what to realistically spend? i don't want anything fancy right now, just something basic to learn on so the guitar and amp don't need to be spectacular. and i'd like to learn to play some funky-slap-type bass too...so if that info helps, good. i've seen some bass and amp packages for around 150 or so...

also...what is the difference between 4 - 5 - 6 string bass guitars...are 4's easier to learn than 5's and so on or is that just an uneducated assumption?

thanks for any help.

hahaha, this smilie is fucking hilarious... :spank

Former bass player here...

4 String is *the* standard, and what you should begin learning. It is tuned an octave below the 4 lowest strings of a standard guitar - E, A, D, G. There's plenty of cheap ones available for a couple hundred $. Yamaha and Fender are the most recognizable names...

You'll need a small amplifier to begin with, and a REALLY BIG one if/when you want to play in a rock/metal/alternative band and still have a hope of actually being heard.. I mean big, too. 400 watts, minimum, pushing lots of speakers. A pair of 4x10" cabs sounds nice and tight with good punch, and aren't too much of a ball buster to carry around. Though there's a strong argument for a 1 X 15" or 1 x 18" with a 4X10. My old rig used a 1000W 2 channel PA amp (500W per channel into 4 ohms). Why so big?? The low notes don't carry and don't cut through what everyone else is playing. You will find you will need 2~4X the power your guitar and keyboard players need, and excess only helps you sound punch~ier.

As you guessed, more strings are considered more advanced. Personally, I prefer a 5 because I have two full octaves worth of range in each (hand) position, and can use an (almost) standard string spacing reasonably comfortably. That allows more aggressive technique. Trying to play a 6 can be like trying to play the road in front of your house: WIIIIIIDE....

A 5 string adds another, lower/deeper toned string - B, a 6 string adds yet another, higher sting: With standard bass tuning it would be a C, (B,E,A,D,G,C) and that's the way most choose to tune, though it is also common to tune it like a guitar and drop the C to a B. Why?? Because with the bass tuned that way, you can use standard guitar fingerings for chords instead of having to alter the shapes for your instrument. But that's stuff a beginner won't need to worry about.

Start with a 4, and know that the bass is a bit more physical to play that a guitar. Your fingers are going to hurt for a while until you build up calluses, and your forearms will get more of a workout than you might think. And your thumb is definitely going to dislike you for a while: But RESIST WRAPPING it around the neck when you play. If you happen to be blessed with a good ear, try hard to read the music your teacher puts in front of you. Don't do like I did: Fart around until he loses patience and plays it for you. Then once you're heard it and understand, mimic what he just shot at you... The only person you're cheating is yourself. Once you've got a decent foundation, you may then switch to a 5, or even a 6 if that's what you want. Later on, (if you get that far) you'll even learn that you might prefer different string spacings and neck shapes. I like near standard spacing, with a thin neck (front to back). A lot of others might prefer a chunkier neck etc etc etc... But you learn that stuff by playing as many different instruments as you can get your hands on.

Anyways... Good Luck!

Scott

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks alot for the help guys..i was considering drums as well, but i work nights so my off days i'm awake all night...i don't think the wife (and neighbors) would appreciate me banging away at odd hours of the evening.

i will check out that website, and yes patience is something i've been forced to learn as of late...thanks again guys...

·
Banned
436 Posts
Why bass? Most bassists are guitarist rejects. I do have a couple of friends that are really good on the bass. I also play bass sometimes in jams but its not nearly as fun as other instruments I play.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe i am a fucking reject...maybe i wanna try something other than whacking off or coloring...maybe i'm interested in it...i'm sorry it bothers you, get over it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
try to get into some jaco pastorius (weather report), that dude was the greatest bassist ever; revolutionized the electric bass.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Scotteq had some great advice. Just to add on a little bit to his....like he said, don't wrap your thumb around the neck. That's bad habit. The way I was taught was to keep your thumb behind your middle finger as much as possible. Also, use one finger for each fret (only use index finger on first fret, middle on 2nd fret, ring on third, pinky on fourth), and move your hand only when neccessary. Learn to jump strings so your fretting hand stays as close to the same place as possible. Helps prevent fatigue from having to move your arm all over the neck.
Also, when it comes to where you hold your bass, sit down and adjust the strap so it's in the same position sitting and standing. If it's really that uncomfortable, you can move it down a little bit, but you don't want it to be too low. Otherwise your fretting hand/wrist can potentially get carpal tunnel syndrom. Don't set it so the bass is down by your knees like all the "rock stars" on tv. It's horrible positioning, and will only hurt your playing.
Practice your scales as much as possible. If you have access to music, I highly recommend learning to read it. Don't know what your intentions are, but it can only help you to learn how to read the music and play along.
Learn to use all four fingers. Especially on the fretting hand. I've seen too many people try to play with only their index and middle fingers, and they end up either wearing themselves out, or just sounding very bad cause they can't keep up to faster songs. Also, learning to use all four fingers on your picking hand (or at least three) helps one play much faster rhythms. At least learn to use middle and index fingers for sure. It's extraordinarily difficult to play with just your index finger. Try to avoid using a pick too. You can if that's what you want, but learn to use fingers first.

As for those saying/thinking is a boring instrument, or guitar rejects only, save it. I've played both guitar and bass for 5 years (as well as drums for 8), and bass has always been my favorite. It may not be as "famous" as guitar, or as good as a lead or solo instrument, there is nothing saying it can't be. There are many bassists out there (Victor Wooten, Stu Hamm, Jaco Pastorius, etc.) that could outplay most of the guitarists out there any day of the week. Plus, bass is an extremely important instrument. Listen to a song with the bass playing, then listen to the same song without the bass. You'll notice that it just seems to be lacking, and doesn't sound nearly as powerful.
Bass can be a blast to play. It can also be kinda boring. Just depends on what your playing. But if you keep working on it, and practice as much as possible, you get better, and can play more interesting parts. Then you can start adding onto the more simple parts to make them more interesting. I personally love bass more than any other instrument, and if I had to chose one to play exclusively for the rest of my life, bass is my choice. Others may not agree with that, but it's how I feel.
Sorry for the long entry. Just trying to help.

·
SBN SuperMod
1,394 Posts
Good advice, Scott! :nice

Insofar as codenoid goes, where did I put my ban button?

:twofinger

You guys wanna hear a joke?

Okay… well, here it goes anyway:

Question: What is the definition of a drummer?

Answer: Someone who hangs out with musicians!

:twofinger

·
Registered
731 Posts
I just got myself a complete E-Guitar pack which I choose (not one of those complete boxes). I got an Ibanez GSA60, a 10w amp and all the other small extras. Normaly allready the guitar would have costed me 370€, but they did me a realy good deal on it and payed 320€ for everything. A friend of mine is allso intrested in bass and I'll say spend about 400€, then you maybe can get it down a bit from the dealer. But that set up should then last you a good time.

I also recomend: www.ultimate-guitar.com

·
Banned
436 Posts
dbo said:
maybe i am a fucking reject...maybe i wanna try something other than whacking off or coloring...maybe i'm interested in it...i'm sorry it bothers you, get over it.
Wow, I didn't mean to bring up your self confidence issues. If you actually think it bothers me that you want to play a bass, your simply a retard. Get over that.

·
Registered
183 Posts
mrzedexsixargh said:
Good advice, Scott! :nice

You guys wanna hear a joke?

Okay… well, here it goes anyway:

Question: What is the definition of a drummer?

Answer: Someone who hangs out with musicians!

Didja hear the one about the Guitarist who locked his keys in his car????

Took him two hours to get the Lead Singer out!!!! :headbang

Scott :nerd

1 - 20 of 21 Posts