Sport Bikes banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
he keeps shinning me on about paying the last $500
original deal was 4500 he paid 4000 on 7/28 and said he'd pay the last 500 by firday 8/1... told him if he didn't pay the 500 he would be out the 4k and i would repo the bike....

he keeps shinning me on about paying the last $500, but since i know the guy i've been patient until last monday when he said if i sropped by at noon he'd pay me and he wasn't home and his mom said he went to work, so i told her i need to pick up the bike and she told me no and that if i wanted the bike i needed to give her the 4k back...

so i talked to the local PD and they said i would have to go thru small claims court....

so here's the issue - he told me last night that he sold the bike....
title is still in my name....

so has this guy committed a crime by selling a bike that wasn't legally his....
am i just screwed and have to go thru small claims..
if i see the bike can i take it form whomever is riding it...

this is what i get for being a nice guy :nutkick

·
Registered
139 Posts
id say if the title is in your name then it aint sold. its still yours

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
At this point, report it stolen.

Or, work a deal. Give back the $4K when your bike shows up in the same condition it left you. Then never contact this person again.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
he ain't getting the 4k back - we had a deal, i've honored my end of the deal and been more than patient

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
The OP has some responsibility here, too. He let the bike go without collecting the full amount and without transferring the title. Water under the bridge and all that, but the OP created part of this monster.

Report the bike stolen and let the law deal with it, or cut a deal, get the bike back and move on with a lesson learned.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
he ain't getting the 4k back - we had a deal, i've honored my end of the deal and been more than patient
Then go small claims. Unless you're looking for extralegal advice, in which case I'm out.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The OP has some responsibility here, too. He let the bike go without collecting the full amount and without transferring the title. Water under the bridge and all that, but the OP created part of this monster.

Report the bike stolen and let the law deal with it, or cut a deal, get the bike back and move on with a lesson learned.
yep that's what i get for being a nice guy and trying to help someone out....
lesson learned - friendship burned

me:bitchslap me

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Hey BG,

Did you two have a bill of sale or an agreement written out about this deal? That might clarify.

1. The bike is definitely still legally yours. The other guy won't be able to register the bike anywhere. If he does a bonded title the DMV will still contact you so you can claim it.

2. You can also repo the bike if you want. Had a situation with a car where the co-signer on a car stopped by and took the car after the other person didn't make any payments. The police and the bank both agreed. Paper work was in the co-signers name, so they can do what they want. With the title you are in an even better position.

3. You're a big guy. Start bustin' knee caps.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cops told me i could go get it but to not enter the garage even if it's open....

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
Just as Napalm says...if he tries to get it titled through the state, he will need a bonded title. I just went through all this yesterday. I asked about how it actually works and after he pays the small fee to the bonding company, they send the paperwork in to the state. they then contact by mail the last known owner to make sure there is no dispute. That is where you come in. You tell the state...yeah the fucker must have stolen my bike I got a police report and everything. Then you should get your bike back.

The bond is so that he could take you to court over the matter, but it doesn't sound like he would have a chance to win the dispute. In all honesty, if there was a dispute on the one I am working with, they could come pick it up in however many pieces are left after I sold the good parts on e-bay. That or maybe have like a liscence plate bolt left over and put the bike somewhere else...or directions to the lake I drove it into....My point is don't let it get that far.

A deal is a deal, it is depressing when people don't come through. Iv'e always been a man of my word, so I don't really understand why people pull this shit. You shouldn't have gave him the bike though...I'm sure you realize that now...Maybe he can buck up $100 bucks a week for 6 weeks...(extra $100 for interest)...sounds fair to me.I would try to work something out with the guy even though you are totally in the right.

Good luck with that.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Do you still atually have the title? Did you sign it off? If you signed the title off, then the physical holder of the title has legal ownership. If you have the title, then the above is good -- report it stolen, see if you can physically get it back without breaking the law yourself.

If you signed off the title or no longer actually hold it, then small claims court is probably your best option.

PhilB

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i never signed the title but the cop said is couldn't report it stolen cause we had a verbal contract...

UPDATE
found out he sold it so i called the cops and they called him and told him how much shit he was in unless the guy he sold it to could produce a title which of course he coudn't since i have it... well it wasn't 15 minutes later he showed up at the cop shop with the 500 he owed me plus another 100 for all the drama...

so all is good once again....

thanks to all for advice :cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts