Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have any experience w/ the bmw gs's? I am wondering how the suzuki vstrom stands up. Lately i have the want to be able to ride my bike long distances and go through a field or in a stream if need be. You know go places the sport bike cant. Anyone like these types of bikes? Are there any used alternatives I could pick up cheap?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Actually this is the type of riding I have been doing the last 6 or so yrs. To be as quick as I can in answering you question. The Gs's are very awesome "cool factor" type of bikes. They are excellent on road bikes. Anybike this big and heavy vstrom included are going to suck off road. They may have off road fenders and knobby tires, but to any true back country offroaders these are like taking a stock Cadillac Escalade to the Rubicon.

I do understand your post stated an occasional field or stream, so all that bs up above that I just wasted my time typing does not apply to you. So to answer your question :rolleyes . The Beamer has higher ground clearance and better luggage capabilities. Also the Beamer has alot of technical guru type options that are endless. However all this is at an upfront big time additional cost when compared to the Vstrom. Say twice the out the door cost. Also the beamers motors can log 100,000 miles easy with proper maintenance, it's the rest of the bike that breaks and costs a fortune to repair. The Vstrom is the better choice if you are used to riding Japanese sport bikes and having the luxury or day in and out riding with little maintenace and almost zero repairs and warranty work needed.

If I had the money to just blow I would go with the Gs. If I am in the normal man's situation like most of us are, I would go Vstrom and use the extra money to take more day's off and ride. adventurerider.net has tons of topics on this very disscusion. Alot of Gs guy's sold their bikes and went to the Vstrom and were not disappointed at all. Hope this helps. Let the Beamer guy's bashing me begin.Jeff

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
I've heard the KTM Dukes are cool. There is also the Triumph Tiger ( triple..nice! ), Kawi DL ( I think in Europe ), and the Suzuki V-Strom. I've never ridden any of these but they seem fun and practical for light touring.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
One of the mags did a compairson a few months back and put the BMW on top,not that that means squat but.........

If I was going to buy one,and I will sooner or later,I would go with the BMW 650 Dakar.It's close to $9,000 less than the 1200 and is more suited for offroad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts