Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
I took it about 2 yrs ago... Mine was about a day long - 4 hours of classroom followed by four hours on the bike. (You will have to bring your own...) DO you have any SPECIFIC questions about it?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ASharpMind said:
I took it about 2 yrs ago... Mine was about a day long - 4 hours of classroom followed by four hours on the bike. (You will have to bring your own...) DO you have any SPECIFIC questions about it?
how is it different from just the regular MSF? is it just to practice basic skills that you normally wouldnt on your own bike?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took the Advanced class in June. It basically was a quick repeat of the basic classes, with more emphasis on the actual practice time of the skill. Time to revisit what you do and correct any bad habits that you may have developed. I found it informative, my husband who has ridden for over 30 years thought it was not...He did not like it. But I am a newbie this is my first season to ride. I took the basic msf 2 years ago, due to health and injuries I have been unable to ride till just now. So I felt taking another course would help me allot.
But practicing your skills in a parking lot or controlled setting is never a waste of time in my book.

I hope this answers your question. :fiddy

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ladykruzer said:
I took the Advanced class in June. It basically was a quick repeat of the basic classes, with more emphasis on the actual practice time of the skill. Time to revisit what you do and correct any bad habits that you may have developed. I found it informative, my husband who has ridden for over 30 years thought it was not...He did not like it. But I am a newbie this is my first season to ride. I took the basic msf 2 years ago, due to health and injuries I have been unable to ride till just now. So I felt taking another course would help me allot.
But practicing your skills in a parking lot or controlled setting is never a waste of time in my book.

I hope this answers your question. :fiddy

thanks.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I wondered the same thing so I asked at my MSF class this weekend. I talked to the main MSF guy, since they were their training instructors. He said it's basically the same only you use your own bike and speeds are a little faster.

Waste of time and money IMO.

·
Registered
241 Posts
jon341427 said:
how is it different from just the regular MSF? is it just to practice basic skills that you normally wouldnt on your own bike?
Honestly, I never took the basic course - so I could not do a comparison... But you learn:
- How to brake better
- how to lean the bike better
- how to do a circle with the radius getting smaller - (Spiral)
- reaction drills
- skidding the back tire properly
- proper turning

I am sure it is similar - but you really get into the advanced aspects of riding... Do not mention stunting or any movie that has to do with stunting... A guy in my class did and was dropped...

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
The ERC is a series of nine range excercises and breif coverage of riding techniques and safety information. They are similar to BRC excercises but not exactly the same.

It's two basic benefits are: 1. as a refresher of MSF training, and 2. As a chance to have someone evaluate your riding skills to look for things you may have mis-learned or not learned. In some places, an OTR course is also offered. This serves much the same purposes but is conducted during a road ride with instructors at the front and back.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you have the extra cash and time ...take it

track time is also beneficial to better riding skills

It won't hurt...can only help

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
MnM said:
If you have the extra cash and time ...take it

track time is also beneficial to better riding skills

It won't hurt...can only help

Track time is always good. As long as you're not taking bad habbits to the track. My suggestion would go to a track day, and take the new riders school offered at many trackday, "C" groups.

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
jim schmidt said:
You can bring bad habits back from the track as well.
Agreed, but I think that goes without saying.

·
Registered
447 Posts
i took the experienced riders course with MSF (not sure if its the same) for free a few months back. Seems the same to basic except you're on your own bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts