Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would I go about adjusting the height of my bike? I'm rather short, being only 5'6, and only the balls of my feet touch the ground when on the bike. Can I just adjust the shocks somehow? Or would I have to buy anything? It's an 05 GSX-R 600

·
Registered
318 Posts
Shave the seat. I was able to do this myself with a hacksaw blade, small grinder and staple gun. I know, the hacksaw blade kinda sounds brutal, but I used it to filet the top inch and a half or two off the seat before using the grinder to smooth everything out. I was a little worried at first (as to what it would look like), but now that it's done I like the looks better than stock. It's not too bad comfort wise either, and after all the posts I read saying lowering the whole bike would probably mess with the handling I am really glad I did it this way. Remember to shave the sides of the seat a little as well, go slow, cut a little, try it, cut a little more....

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Along with shaving the seat you can also cut coils off of your shock or fork springs...although you might not want to lose the suspension...just a thought.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
StEvEoKiNeVeO911 said:
Along with shaving the seat you can also cut coils off of your shock or fork springs...although you might not want to lose the suspension...just a thought.
This is not your moms Honda Civic. Don't cut any springs. Do it right with lowering links made to do just that. Lower the bike the right way.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
dennisred69 said:
This is not your moms Honda Civic. Don't cut any springs. Do it right with lowering links made to do just that. Lower the bike the right way.
:lol +1! LMAO!

I hate seeing bikes lowered, especially done the wrong way.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
StEvEoKiNeVeO911 said:
As for the forks just slide them up through the tripple to lower the front. Sorry forgot to add that to the first post.

·
...What speed limit sign?
244 Posts
lmao @ cut the spring.

I put a set of lowering links on mine for a 5'' drop in the rear (with some rear coilover adjustments) and lowered the front 1 1/2''. I still can't flatfoot both feet at the same time but I can at least do one side without tilting the bike at an extreme angle. Did I mention i'm 5'3'' and a half? =o)

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
The easiest I have seen is swapping the links or "dogbones". A buddy of mine just got his hands on a cherry Katana 600 that had been lowered for the previous owner who was 5'5". My buddy is 6'2" and just ordered a set of factory dog bones to take back up to it's original height.

·
Registered
92 Posts
my friend backed off the rear spring preload and it lowered it "1.5" inches and it ride like a cadillac now that the rear spring is softer for the front he slid the forks up

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Buddy has an aftermarket shock and has it dialed real soft. HE is turning it up and adding the factory bones back onto to help get his back up. May try doing the reverse to get it lower.

·
Registered
318 Posts
StEvEoKiNeVeO911 said:
Hey, or heat them with a torch......... :lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts