Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well you don't know if you don't ask. If this is stupid I apologize, I know nothing about the forks.
I have a 93 F2 track bike. I just noticed that one of the fork seals is leaking. I know this needs to be changed but in the short term is it possible to add fork oil without removing the fork from the bike? Can you just back off the spring preload screw,unscrew the fork tube cap and add a small amount of the appropriate oil? If this is possible any tips would be appreciated.

thanks

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
maybe somebody familiar with the f2 specifically can correct me, but I'm betting yes.

On my older bikes with the normal side up forks, you support the bike, take the cap off, pull the spring out, colllapse the forks and add enough oil to be a certain distance from the top. I wouldn't just guestimate and free pour it.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
enos is correct.

But you have b***** problems with a leaking fork. The oil is always going to end up on the brakes.

Its just not worth it to add to your problem. Its a safetly matter that should be looked at if you value anything.

Take the forks off and have them rebuilt. Cost is minimal compared to eating shit because of it.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
+1 hybrid. You are asking for trouble otherwise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts