Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bike was down for about a week and a half for this project, had to hurry up and finish it up because of all the great riding weather we've had lately! Anyway, the light rocks, plus it took a few years off the look of the front end of the bike if you know what I mean :)

http://host41.hrwebservices.net/~wacostr/drew/929hid/

the kit was pieced together using Acura parts, (TSX projector lens and bulb, I believe CL/TL ballast and ignitor). Made a custom wiring harness with relay to save the headlight switch from the added startup load of the HID system.

let me know what y'all think :)

Drew
'01 929rr

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Awesome job! I've always been a fan of HID. Installed it in my Nissan and it expanded my visibility at least four-fold. Looks like its going to improve the look and safety of your ride too! Nice.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
nice work

·
Registered
944 Posts
You got to love projectors, that looks awsome. Dido on the price if you don't mind.

·
Registered
488 Posts
looks awesome.. but let me ask you a stupid question.. what is involved in that project? why is it such an involved process? Scuse my ignorance, never done any research on it.. looks kiler though..

·
Registered
471 Posts
StretchNutz said:
bike was down for about a week and a half for this project, had to hurry up and finish it up because of all the great riding weather we've had lately! Anyway, the light rocks, plus it took a few years off the look of the front end of the bike if you know what I mean :)

http://host41.hrwebservices.net/~wacostr/drew/929hid/

the kit was pieced together using Acura parts, (TSX projector lens and bulb, I believe CL/TL ballast and ignitor). Made a custom wiring harness with relay to save the headlight switch from the added startup load of the HID system.

let me know what y'all think :)

Drew
'01 929rr

great job... wondering if you could somehow do some kind of write up on it?

I noticed from your other pics you have some experience in the acura/honda field...

Any way you can provide part numbers/parts list on this install? maybe an estimate on cost? and a brief description of the wiring install and projector mount install?

:phatyo

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
I'm starting to go through and plan out my HID system. The nice thing about an F4i headlight is how spaced out my low and high beams are. I dunno if I'm going to try and do both a low and high beam setup (using halogens for high) or if I'll turn both lenses into low's. Post up some info!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
sorry for the lack of replies y'all! I need to get some more pics of the bike, it looks killer in the daytime with the highs on and the hid in the middle :)

anyway, about costs...

things you will need to do a project like this:

the projector lens:
http://tinyurl.com/b8qu9
I actually bought a headlight assy. like this (since I already had other Acura parts), disassembled it (carefully with my Dremel :)), and retrieved the projector lens and housing from inside.

if you don't want to go that route:
http://search.ebay.com/hid-projector_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40
any of these will probably work, you can see they vary in price a bit. I wanted to use two in place of my highs originally but the size of the projectors proved to be too big. If you bid on two, you can probably sell one to a buddy or something.

Ballast (inverter) / Ignitor
in some kits (well, on some cars) these two pieces are integrated into one unit. I bought from a buddy of mine a two piece kit, which allows for the heavier ballast to be located far away from the headlight unit, leaving only the tiny ignitor to go near the front of the bike. Apparently it's best not to cut the wires between the ignitor and the bulb (due to the high voltage at startup), but we did extend the wiring between the ballast and the ignitor with no ill effects.
here's the ignitor I used, I'll get a pic of the ballast which I located in the trunk tomorrow:
http://host41.hrwebservices.net/~wacostr/drew/929hid/p6030094.htm
I'll have to check on the prices of these parts tomorrow.

Bulb:
http://tinyurl.com/927x2
This is the one I used, they go for around 100 bucks, but I get them a little cheaper since I have a hookup at the parts counter ;)

You need to run some extra wiring for a setup like this. Due to the higher amount of initial amperage drawn from an HID setup, just connecting the stock headlight connector into the HID ballast isn't going to work (well, won't work for long anyway). You need to wire in a relay to give the ballast power right from the battery in order to save the stock wiring (including the headlight and ignition switches) from any damage over time.
here's my simple wiring diagram I scratched out real quick-like
http://host41.hrwebservices.net/~wacostr/temp/drew/hidwiring.jpg
Of course, your diagram will vary a bit on wiring color, if you want two bulbs, etc etc.

That's all I can think of for now, let me know if y'all have any more questions!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FloridaMike said:
Any way you can provide part numbers/parts list on this install? maybe an estimate on cost? and a brief description of the wiring install and projector mount install?

:phatyo
will get back to you on this stuff

thanks for all the comments y'all :cheers

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ershank said:
Does this mean I can just purchase HID bulbs, since the newer R6's come with projectors stock?
well you may be able to fit HID bulbs behind the R6 projectors but you will still need the ballast/ignitor to light them.

I'm not sure if the projectors will work the same tho, on the R6 the bulb sits indirectly behind the two projectors instead of centered behind one a la HID-style. I know it won't have the same "cutoff line" as an HID projector does. Perhaps someone else with a Yammy can chime in. I used to have an 03 R6 but that's the best info I can give you. :cheers

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Don't half ass it and not use a true HID projector. They are completely different with different cut off lines. You will get glare using a halogen projector. Just do a retrofit like stretch did.

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
StretchNutz said:
well you may be able to fit HID bulbs behind the R6 projectors but you will still need the ballast/ignitor to light them.

I'm not sure if the projectors will work the same tho, on the R6 the bulb sits indirectly behind the two projectors instead of centered behind one a la HID-style. I know it won't have the same "cutoff line" as an HID projector does. Perhaps someone else with a Yammy can chime in. I used to have an 03 R6 but that's the best info I can give you. :cheers
But there is a pretty definitive cutoff line, looks just like your final product but not as bright (obviously).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts