Sport Bikes banner

Added LED Accents. What do you think?

3K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  shane liberty 
#1 ·
Sorry if the images are not the best. It was hard to find the right setting to get a good pic in near dark. I pieced this together through Ebay and after the purchase of wire, switch, 3M and connectors my total came to just under $30. My wife is on the fence about it, but i think it came out pretty good for the cost and about an hour of labor. Let me know what you think. Honest options appreciated.

Parts List:
(1) 2ft LED flat strip for rear: $4
(4) 6in LED strip w/ 9 LED's per strip: $3per
10ft of blk and red wire: $4
Switch: $2
3M: $3
Connectors: $3

See less See more
#4 ·
Bright lights save lives.

#13 ·
If you used yellow on the sides of the bike and red on the rear, wouldn't that be compliant?

#14 ·
A prosecutor whould be hard-pressed to win a case if the lights themselves are out of sight and the only things which are visible are the parts of the bike which are illuminated by the lights. In such a case, the lights are clearly internal and not on the front, sides, or rear and are not powerful enough to produce "glare" or otherwise interfere with the marker and indicator lamps.

#15 ·
One thing I have learned living in Florida, if they have even the smallest PC for an opportunity to pull a sportbike over, they will

#17 ·
Here's Florida's law on what lights you can't have:

Link

#19 ·
I think it looks good.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the cops messing with you for it. Looks like you have all the lights tucked away pretty well, so I would think the chances of them being really anal about are pretty slim.

Here in Michigan lighting effects like that are illegal, but the only time I've known people to have trouble with them are:
A. When the lights themselves are clearly visible, not just the light they emit.
B. When the person that has been pulled over is being a dick about it, then the cops write them up for the lights and whatever else they can.

I worked at a car audio shop installing these types of underbody kits on cars, bikes, trucks, etc for a few years and those were the only types of trouble that people ever had with the cops with the lights we were installing.

#22 ·
In Florida I'm pretty sure under car lights can't be red or blue, they don't sell the neon kits in those colors, you see lots of other colors though. I'd assume these would fall under the same rules. There's probably a NJ law that says only emergency vehicles can have red or blue lights visible from the front or sides or something, idk. In Florida they do seem to pull bikes over a lot but I think it's mostly just to make sure you've got your endorsement and for the contact. There's a lot of people riding around without it (or so they tell me). I've been pulled over no less than 8 times for from next to nothing to serious hooliganism but only ever got 1 $70 ticket (knock on wood), for obstructed tag too far under my tail, by a MC cop.

#25 ·
PA ammended Title 67 to where "frame lighting" is legal. The lights can not flash, strobe, or occilate. I posted this before with definitions of each somewhere on this board. Might have been in General Sportbike.

#26 ·
I am not into accent lighting but you did a good job.

Side Note: Make sure the wiring and the lights themselves are located far enough away from the motor or cooling system. Heat and vibration will make short work of the plastic lights and the wiring. If you don't have the lights hooked up to their own fuse, I would recommend doing so. If they short out for any reason, they won't effect the essentials on your bike. It would suck to have them short circuit and then your bike won't start. ya know?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.