Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040729/people_nm/leisure_mcgregor_dc

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Scottish actor Ewan McGregor on Thursday roared into New York City's Battery Park on his dusty motorcycle and ended a 20,000-mile odyssey from London with fellow actor and friend Charley Boorman.

The 33-year-old McGregor, of "Star Wars" film fame, and Boorman took more than three months to go through Eastern Europe and the punishing terrain of Mongolia, Siberia and Alaska.

A documentary of their journey will air on the Bravo TV series "Long Way Round," premiering on Oct. 28, and in Britain on Sky One.

"It was a good excuse to ride motorcycles for a very, very long time," said McGregor, sporting a bushy red beard.

McGregor and Boorman, who underwent survival training with ex-soldiers before embarking on the trip, filmed much of the journey themselves using hand-held and bike-mounted cameras.

McGregor said crossing Mongolia was the hardest part.

"There were no roads there, just gravel," he said. "One day we rode 14 hours and went 30 miles. But we plowed on and I'm glad we did. It was extraordinary. I learned a lot about humanity."

The personal diaries of the men and pictures they took will be published as a travel memoir titled "Long Way Round" by Atria Books in November, and in Britain by Time Warner Books.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Thats nutz....

·
Registered
646 Posts
Damnit...u beat me to it. i had the link in hand and everything.
But yeah, this story is crazy yo. Interesting for sure. 20,000 miles on a bike? My body would be so sore. I hope he did it on a cruiser or standard. Imagine it on a GSXR? Anyways, this is a cool story. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
how cool would that be? I'd love to do that. I know I'd be sore as hell, but still. could you imagine the things you'd get to see, and the ppl you'd get to meet?

cool story, thanks!

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
i would do it only on a GS. maybe a KTM Duke, but most liley a GS.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
That's pretty sweet.

·
Banned
730 Posts
Squid Killer said:
They were on BMW bikes.
Yep. GS 1150's IIRC. The bike for such journeys if you're nuts enough I've read.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Now why cant I do that. I'll just call the boss tommorow and say. You know I have been bored here at work and fed up with this shit...... I'm going to go ride my motorcycle around the world be back in a few months..

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It will be a film I will want to see since all will be the truth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts