Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn technology! My cable modem decided to take a crap on me and now I can only surf SBN @ work!......well, not all bad. Makes the work day more enjoyable! :)

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
CABLE? i think i have an extra one if you are interested? Or do you have your cable company comming out to fix it?

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Mine shits alot but the cable company fixes it all the time. Thats why I pay an extra $4 to have thatr coverage. It just don't want to log on some times. I guess a better way to say it is it disconects it's self from the internet then won't go back online.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Your cable modem disconnects and you pay an extra $4 a month to have the cable company fix it?

You're shitting me!

I'd just buy a new cable modem (my SB5100 works great) and, if it won't stay connected then, tell the cable company to pull their heads out of their a$$es.

Until a few months ago, I was a cable tech. I did the electronics in system upgrades for high speed data. I've also done a few months of cable modem installs.
It would be cheaper to just buy a better modem. If you still have problems, I'd say 99% chance their are idiots setting up the data path (bad signal to noise ratio, laser set to high on the fiber optics, etc).

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
ours went out last week, cable and i-net, tv is back on, i-net still down. they brought out 2 other modems neither worked......

have to wait till wed this week, for a higher level tech to come out.

HOZ, what kinda modem do you recommend, i'd spend the $ for a good one......we use time warner, i didn't know we paid extra for the modem......thought it was included in the price.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
hozhead said:
It would be cheaper to just buy a better modem. If you still have problems, I'd say 99% chance their are idiots setting up the data path (bad signal to noise ratio, laser set to high on the fiber optics, etc).
Yes, Comcast has had enough problems here to call in private contractors. They often do not maintain proper gain through the system and cause excessive noise, distortion of the waveform, or excessive gain.

You should also check all your inside connections. When I did just that, I found the electrical contractor that installed the cable did not crimp the interior connections to the wall plates. Eeven though I used the same connectors as the cable company for all my connections, inside the wall they were only held on by friction.

What's really surprising was that it worked fine for over 2 years then I suddenly started having problems.

I've also found that extremely cold weather messes with the temperature compensation in the amps. I was told by the contractor that this is largely from the incorrect gain settings to begin with.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
That was the same problem I had it worked for 2 years then just started to mess up. I don't know nothing about the cable modem thats why they fix it. It is there equipment so they fix it. If I wait like 2 hours it will come back on but it pisses me off to wait.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have been having the same issue for about a month now. I have had Comcast come out 4 times. It has been ok for the past few days but, I am waiting for it to go back to intermittent like it has been.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
many cable ISP's won't readily allow you to just drop a new modem in place of one of their's. There's various mac addresses, ip addresses, and other crap that will prevent you from using a different product.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
I replaced my cable modem that they gave me with a Motorola modem, called them on the phone and gave them mac address and it has worked ever since.

·
Registered
29 Posts
cable modem

dennisred69 said:
Mine shits alot but the cable company fixes it all the time. Thats why I pay an extra $4 to have thatr coverage. It just don't want to log on some times. I guess a better way to say it is it disconects it's self from the internet then won't go back online.
I actually had a simillar issue a few years ago, but it turned out to be the firmware of the router my cable modem was conncted to. Dont know if you have a router or not, but posisbly there could be a firmware upgrade for you cable modem.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
I hate it when mine craps out. I miss out on so much good stuff on the motorcycle forums.

Just did a speed test and its running a little slow, normally its up around 5.5meg a second. :phatyo

Attachments

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
RACER X said:
ours went out last week, cable and i-net, tv is back on, i-net still down. they brought out 2 other modems neither worked......

have to wait till wed this week, for a higher level tech to come out.

HOZ, what kinda modem do you recommend, i'd spend the $ for a good one......we use time warner, i didn't know we paid extra for the modem......thought it was included in the price.
I would recommend the Motorola SB5120 (the newer version of my SB5100) $80 at Best Buy right now.
It supports DOCSIS 2.0 (the newer, WAY faster standard that cable systems will be switching to over the next few years as they get budget okays to do so).

As to the comment about cable systems not letting you put in your own in place of theirs, most systems allow it, you just have to tell them the MAC Address (as someone pointed out) so they let it on the system.

Here, I would be paying $5 to lease a modem from CableOne. I did that a few months until the SB5100 was release (didn't want to buy one that didn't support the updated standard). With the rebate at that time, I paid $30. Now I save $5 a month and have a grade 'A' modem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts